Funny Rounders Scenes (1 Viewer)

SteveEH

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Not enough players for my game tonight so I watched rounders again. I was laughing pretty hard after discovering the scene with Jo and Knish at ~36:30:

Jo: "Knish, how are you?"
Knish: *pause* "The same."

Thoughts?

9D5161CC-697D-4794-AFAC-F9C5036DBBB5.gif

It’s a great line. Very true for those ppl. I used to be involved in poker clubs in nyc and you can run into anyone involved as a regular player or dealer or manager and no matter the amount of time that passes, they’re exactly the same.

I'm probably in the minority. I think its horribly overrated and will probably never re watch it.

I'm probably in the minority. I think its horribly overrated and will probably never re watch it.

It's not a perfect poker movie by any stretch. They got alot wrong (they way the bet with barrels, cutting it to ten, cutting that to five and then splashing the five chips; and the way Mike calls time out facing a big bet), but they got alot right.

And really, it's not a poker movie. It's a movie about finding one's true self played out on a poker background. If you're expecting a poker movie, I can see how you'd be disappointed.

It's not a perfect poker movie by any stretch. They got alot wrong (they way the bet with barrels, cutting it to ten, cutting that to five and then splashing the five chips; and the way Mike calls time out facing a big bet), but they got alot right.

And really, it's not a poker movie. It's a movie about finding one's true self played out on a poker background. If you're expecting a poker movie, I can see how you'd be disappointed.

The thing is, hardly any other poker movies capture even 5% as much of the game as Rounders does.

California Split and Molly’s game each had some classic moments, but that’s about it as far as competition.

Almost every other movie focused on poker is absolute garbage, and most movies with poker scenes get the action embarrassingly wrong.

And all such movies are forced to include lots of extraneous relationship / drama / action / violence / personal journey stuff, because Hollywood just does not believe audiences will tolerate a true poker movie.

Honestly it is remarkable that Rounders got made at all. And it touches on so many valid and central themes of trying to make it in the game, that I consider it a huge success. The few errors I can forgive.

Plus it is very well-acted. Great cast, no real clunkers.

Last edited:
The thing is, hardly any other poker movies capture even 5% as much of the game as Rounders does.

California Split and Molly’s game each had some classic moments, but that’s about it as far as competition.

Almost every other movie focused on poker is absolute garbage, and most movies with poker scenes get the action embarrassingly wrong.

And all such movies are forced to include lots of extraneous relationship / drama / action / violence / personal journey stuff, because Hollywood just does not believe audiences will tolerate a true poker movie.

Honestly it is remarkable that Rounders got made at all. And it touches on so many valid and central themes of trying to make it in the game, that I consider it a huge success. The few errors I can forgive.

Plus it is very well-acted. Great cast, no real clunkers.

How about the mockumentary The Grand (2007)? If nothing else, great cast and a few cool cameos... :)

https://we.tl/t-dB5Gd61LVn

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom