From Toronto, seeking some chips (1 Viewer)

loosechange101

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi,

This seems to be customary, especially given the 10 post rule to post in classifieds.

Brand new to poker chips - I've been doing a decent bit of research (and read through many threads discussing this highly popular topic) and I think I've narrowed my options down a bit.

Not looking to spend too much - fortunately I would prefer second hand as I imagine poker chips tend to be the type of thing that gets neglected in a closet (especially when shiny, fancier new ones replace them) so that's what I'm mainly hoping to get out of this forum - give some old chips a new life. Help the planet a bit, ya know.

Not too picky with type either (lower mid-range plastics, ceramics, and china clays all seem fine to me) but more picky about the look - I am going to be looking at them all the time after all.

Of the ones I've seen, I'm a fan of the Scroll, Majestic, Milano, Monte Carlo, and Monaco Club. If I can find a decent set of these that would be splendid. I played around with a cheapo amazon set for a bit so committed to getting a somewhat decent set. If I could get a higher end set (250-350 chips, for 6-8 player games @ T100 with 1/5/25/100 sort of range) for a reasonable price I would happily jump on it (I'm a buy it once for life kind of guy, but some things just don't merit the cost).

Does anyone know the deal with Monaco Clubs? Are they noticeably different then other low/mid-range plastics? Link: https://www.pokerchipmania.com/clay-poker-chips/13-5g-monaco/ - I can't seem to find a review of them from the usual suspects on youtube.

Apologies if that's a bit long for an introductory post haha, but I'll likely repost some of these questions in other locations.

All the best,

LC

Hello and welcome. I don't know much about the Monaco Clubs (although I do have a few, I've just never had them in play). But, I love Majestic's, Milano's, Pharaoh's, Dunes and other China Clay's (CCs). I do have several different chip sets that I keep around and offer to new members at a pretty fair price (hopefully a new member that I have sold to will attest to that). So, if you're interested drop me a PM. And, again, welcome

@Just1Better I'm definitely interested! I'm days away from just buying Monte Carlos or Monaco Clubs from a general supplier but if you've got something that can be cheaper / better for same price I'm game. Pm'd.

@Quicksilver-75 Starting bid of 425 USD is waaay out of my price range for a first set haha. I'm very incremental with any new hobby so only if I end up playing with and wanting better sets enough would I even consider that much.

@allforcharity Yup! I've read all types of recommendations for quantities across all types of sites, and I figure after an initial start with intended ratios my friends and I will likely (out of personal preference) want to modify the denominations / starting blinds to suit our (amateur) skill level and time constraints. I'm thinking something like $1x125, $5x100, $25x75, and $100x50 should be plenty wiggle room for ensuring that up to 6 players can play comfortably with a number of different starting denominations. I also would prefer a set that has 25c/50c chips as well, so that the set could double as a low stakes cash set as well.

One more general question - any recommendations for stores with free shipping (above $50ish is fine) in Canada? The only real options I've come across are Walmart and www.straightpokersupplies.com that have any decent options for low-mid range chips.

@allforcharity Yup! I've read all types of recommendations for quantities across all types of sites, and I figure after an initial start with intended ratios my friends and I will likely (out of personal preference) want to modify the denominations / starting blinds to suit our (amateur) skill level and time constraints. I'm thinking something like $1x125, $5x100, $25x75, and $100x50 should be plenty wiggle room for ensuring that up to 6 players can play comfortably with a number of different starting denominations. I also would prefer a set that has 25c/50c chips as well, so that the set could double as a low stakes cash set as well.

Many of us frown on using the same set for tournaments and cash, as there are security issues. But at the end of the day, you know your group best. I'm a temporary Vendor here on the forum, feel free to PM me if you're interested in a tourney set that might work as cash down the road.

Many of us frown on using the same set for tournaments and cash, as there are security issues. But at the end of the day, you know your group best. I'm a temporary Vendor here on the forum, feel free to PM me if you're interested in a tourney set that might work as cash down the road.

You know, I hadn't really considered that, and that's a good point. While I'm not too worried about any of my friends scamming me out of a few bucks, the cash set is for down the line and may actually be with people I don't know as well (such as coworkers) so I'm inclined to agree. I'll stick to focusing on a tournament set then, and will worry about a cash one down the road should the need arise!

I'm not sure what you mean by temporary vendor, but I'll PM you anyway, thanks!

LC

Not yet, but "get samples" seems to be prime advice in all threads of this nature, so I think that may be a good idea haha, but I'm not sure I have the patience. As long a they're better than the cheapest amazon plastics, they will suffice for the time being, and after that if I'm still feeling chippy, I'll take my time and get some good samples before putting together a cash game set (which would feel better with good chips anyway).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom