Freeroll game host looking to learn (1 Viewer)

pokeraddictsoftx

Reaction score
Hello all!! I’ve been running my own freeroll tournament for a few months. My player list is really building & I wanted to start hosting my own cash game. The problem is I don’t know where to become as far as making it profitable for not only the players but myself. Any advice on rakes & a good place to start as far as buy ins for players

Most folks here host home games and do not rake. The few who do are coving food and beverage costs, not generating profit.

It’s unlikely you will receive much advice regarding rake.

regarding game structure you can expect lots of advice. A good starting point would be letting us know what but ins are expected, tournament vs cash, number of players, etc. then we can offer suggestions.

Most folks here host home games and do not rake. The few who do are coving food and beverage costs, not generating profit.

It’s unlikely you will receive much advice regarding rake.

regarding game structure you can expect lots of advice. A good starting point would be letting us know what but ins are expected, tournament vs cash, number of players, etc. then we can offer suggestions.
It’s a cash game, no more then 20 players at a time, $100 min buy in $500 max.

In most states (if not all) rakes make the game illegal. Start there.
But isn’t playing cash what makes it illegal anyway?

A lot of states having social gaming exceptions to illegal gambling charges. Raking a game, or any money changing hands outside of the actual game itself, violates those exceptions and makes you an illegal gambling facility.

What is a freeroll tournament?

Laws vary state to state, but I think it’s safe to say that running a raked cash game is a significant step in the very illegal direction.

Even when a cash poker game is illegal, prosecutors and judges are going to look very differently at old college buddies drinking beers, eating hot dog sandwiches, and playing cards for a couple bucks compared to a for-profit unlicensed card game operation. I can’t recall any stories of simple poker games with no (other) illegal activity connected to it being busted and prosecuted. Also, much more likely someone would leak info on the game if it wasn’t simply a group of friends.

Sounds like you are playing roughly 1/2 or 1/3 stakes with two tables. That’s quite a bit of action.

if I was running that I’d want:

400 * $1
1,200 * $5
400 * $25
200 * $100
100 * $500

That might be overboard on $100s and $500s but you can adjust based on how deep the games plays.

Even when a cash poker game is illegal, prosecutors and judges are going to look very differently at old college buddies drinking beers, eating hot dog sandwiches, and playing cards for a couple bucks compared to a for-profit unlicensed card game operation. I can’t recall any stories of simple poker games with no (other) illegal activity connected to it being busted and prosecuted. Also, much more likely someone would leak info on the game if it wasn’t simply a group of friends.
Such a wierd situation you guys have in the US with your gambling laws. I mean the UK might probably be the same, the only difference is i dont think people here could care less :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: . You could always hold the cash and claim it is backpay for the table etc you have bought for the group and future chip and equipment upgrades. Saying that whats the odds your ever going to be copped for it?

It’s pretty much the same over here in Canada and the USA as it is in the UK.

people don’t give a crap here either, but when they do, it’s a big problem.
Personally I wouldn’t charge a rake, because I like playing with friends. And at your stakes the risk is higher. $20-50 buyins and .25/50 stakes you’re unlikely to get in trouble, but when it gets bigger, the risks and everything go up.

if you DO take, at least provide some good value: food, nice chips and table and even a dealer. Although the later also can make the legality even more complex.

It’s pretty much the same over here in Canada and the USA as it is in the UK.

people don’t give a crap here either, but when they do, it’s a big problem.
Personally I wouldn’t charge a rake, because I like playing with friends. And at your stakes the risk is higher. $20-50 buyins and .25/50 stakes you’re unlikely to get in trouble, but when it gets bigger, the risks and everything go up.

if you DO take, at least provide some good value: food, nice chips and table and even a dealer. Although the later also can make the legality even more complex.
Having the dealer is a good cover, he is paid for his services. Nobody needs to know your are getting X amount back from the dealer after settling up. If some people are fine with a rake for providing a game, i mean who wouldnt be if you put on a good night? Then its time to flush a rat down the drain and find your leak i say

It illegal in most place to take raked for home cash game, it perfectly okay to do non raked home cash game.

There will always be one sore loser who lost a lot and blame it on the host for cheating and report you to the police.

It sound like a very short trip to trouble town.

Hello all!! I’ve been running my own freeroll tournament for a few months. My player list is really building & I wanted to start hosting my own cash game. The problem is I don’t know where to become as far as making it profitable for not only the players but myself. Any advice on rakes & a good place to start as far as buy ins for players
The best way to make it profitable for yourself is to be a better player than all of the other players. The best way to make it profitable for others is to be a worse player than them. But you need to decide whether the goal is to have fun or to make money. If the former, then most people won't really care if they win or lose, as long as they are having fun doing it.

-1 for the rake idea. In most jurisdictions it can potentially open the door to a world that you probably don't want to visit (think police raids, legal bills, possible seizure of assets or even jail time). Low probability of anything actually happening but high consequences if it does.

As far as buy-ins, why not ask a few people on your growing player list what stakes they might want to play in a cash game. It sounds like everyone is playing for free at the moment, so don't be surprised if a lot of the current players won't want to put up any real money. But you will probably find several players who will jump at the chance to play "for real". Some of those might think that $20 is a lot to risk (.05/.10 or .25/.25 is a good place to start for them) while others may be fine with bringing a couple of hundred for an evening's entertainment (.25/.50, .50/$1 or even $1/$2).

As mentioned above, there are a few threads here with advice on hosting for the first time. Start by building a good breakdown cash set of chips for the stakes you decide on. Good cards (plastic) will be nice, as will a good table and chairs. Clearly understood rules (written down) are not important until they are, so make sure if you have any house rules that everybody knows them.

A nice ambience (beer cooler or bar, snacks or food, music or a TV in the corner, parking, etc.) will help a lot. Remember that you are trying to make an environment that people want to come back to again and again.

You might start by connecting with a few other PCF members in the Dallas area (I believe that there are several) and attend a few of their games to get a feel for how a well run home game operates. You may even make a few new friends and get a few more names on your player invite list.

Best of luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom