Fraud and the Dibs system (1 Viewer)

Why would this open up sellers to more problems? The same problems exist, the buyer just has recourse now.

- If you want to avoid issues, than document everything
- There is no avoiding problems if one side is looking to exploit the other
- Hoping nobody is going to scam you is no real protection against getting scammed
- buying and selling things over the internet is inherently risky
- Having a reputable company act as an escrow service, in this case PP acts as the payment escrow, mitigates that risk but does not eliminate it

Avoiding PP G&S just because you might owe taxes on the profit you make selling chips is ridiculous in my opinion. I know most people don't like paying taxes, but they are taxes you and I might have always owed, but haven't paid previously.
"It involves items equivalent to cash..."

Just think that would be an easy way on these types of transactions to claim the seller side doesn't apply.

Just because you post dibs doesn't mean that you have to turn around and pay as fast as possible without doing any due diligence.

Sure, you can snipe a sale with a fast dibs, but once you posted that, it's up to the seller now to be patient and honest while you vet them.

Any seller that doesn't respect that will be outted on here publicly. So I say feel free to go ahead and dibs a great sale... But once you posted publicly that you want it then you can take a step back and take your time to verify that the seller is indeed legit.
/thread

The dibs system need not be "rushed". Once dibs has been posted, there can be vetting.
Disagree completely. Once you post dibs, you're committed. Dibs constitutes agreement to a purchase contract. If you aren't willing to commit, ask your questions, etc., and take your chances on being first when you've accumulated enough information to be comfortable committing.

Try going to an auction and weasling out of it once you've raised your paddle. Dibs is that paddle.

Disagree completely. Once you post dibs, you're committed. Dibs constitutes agreement to a purchase contract. If you aren't willing to commit, ask your questions, etc., and take your chances on being first when you've accumulated enough information to be comfortable committing.

Try going to an auction and weasling out of it once you've raised your paddle. Dibs is that paddle.

Vetting as in making sure it’s a real auction. Real seller etc.

Last edited:
Disagree completely. Once you post dibs, you're committed.
I don't think anyone is arguing that. However, if you find that the seller is raising red flags and you ask for verification that they fail to provide, I think it's best if you let it go.

The point was that after a dibs, both the seller and the buyer are committed. Rush to be the buyer, sure. But then you should never feel that you're pressured to finalize the transaction if the seller can't authenticate what they're offering.

But then you should never feel that you're pressured to finalize the transaction if the seller can't authenticate what they're offering.
100% - this^^^ (Correct)

Once you post dibs, you're committed. Dibs constitutes agreement to a purchase contract.
This ^^^^ not correct. At least in the reality that I am currently inhabiting - lol. If they can’t or refuse to authenticate, what exactly has been committed too?

Try going to an auction and weasling out of it once you've raised your paddle. Dibs is that paddle
If they can’t authenticate or produce the item on which I bid - it’s easy:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:.

Dibs system doesn't exist. Feel free to comb through the classified guidelines and site rules to find any mentions of it.

Given recent events, I would like to see the handwritten note verification thing as one of the Classified Listing Rules instead of just a suggestion. That way, any ad that doesn't have one can be reported and removed.

I would like to see the handwritten note verification thing as one of the Classified Listing Rules instead of just a suggestion.

Tommy considered making it a rule, and I think may have had it in place as a rule for a day or so. But he apparently reconsidered, since it's no longer a rule.

This is the thread where he considered requiring verification notes in response to someone hacking rimmerryan's account on Dec 18: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...in-real-life-sus-his-account-is-hacked.83592/

This is the thread where he considered mandatory 2FA (two-factor authentication) in response to someone hacking Fokker210's account on Dec 23 and posting a photoshopped verification note: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/horseshoe-cleveland-500-fraud-alert.83806/

Dibs system doesn't exist. Feel free to comb through the classified guidelines and site rules to find any mentions of it.

Given recent events, I would like to see the handwritten note verification thing as one of the Classified Listing Rules instead of just a suggestion. That way, any ad that doesn't have one can be reported and removed.
Dibs exists if both the buyer and seller believe it does. Prove me wrong :p

2FA makes notes unnecessary which can be forged so they end up providing additional cover/legitimacy to scammers.

Sellers post sales as dibs with contingencies all the time. Dibs is the content for the listed price. If the seller cannot verify content, there is no contract.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom