For you "I-only-play-no-limit-Hold'em"-Pussies (just joking) (1 Viewer)

I see his point, but I think his logic is a fallacy.

When you are playing with friends, everyone is laughing and joking, even on the bubble. This is because you are not playing for "serious" money.

At the WSOP, amateurs are all playing for serious money. The pros... it is good money, but not life changing. Pros also are capable of playing poker as second nature. The amount of brain-power they have to spend running odds, calculations, making reads is almost non-existent. Their neural pathways are well-developed, and they can do other things, like carrying on a story without holding up action.

There aren't a lot of amateurs making the final table in mixed games. The vast number of amateurs that enter NLH events opens the door to the likelihood that you are going to have at least one boring hoodie-sunglasses player hunkered down at the final table, crushing the vibe of the whole table. He can't carry on a story because he has to think - and he has life-changing money on the line.

FWIW, I've been trying to introduce mixed games to my group. Some love it , some don't. They all love hold'em though. If the poker boom centered on 2-7 draw, Stud, or Scarney, the world would be very different and someone might be making a speech about how much more fun NLH is.

…At the WSOP, amateurs are all playing for serious money. The pros... it is good money, but not life changing…

I would think for most pro’s the money is more life changing than for a working stiff like myself. I mean Brad Owen had a goal of $50k profit (before taxes) for the whole year! I’d say he more closely represents the pro field than the Helmuth/D-Negs of the world.

So a 6 figure score would be pretty life changing right?

I would think/hope that any armature that is willing to plop $1k+ down on a tournament would have a take home of much more than $50k.

If the poker boom centered on 2-7 draw, Stud, or Scarney, the world would be very different

Artist's rendition of such a world:

A-utopia.jpg

I see his point, but I think his logic is a fallacy.

When you are playing with friends, everyone is laughing and joking, even on the bubble. This is because you are not playing for "serious" money.

At the WSOP, amateurs are all playing for serious money. The pros... it is good money, but not life changing. Pros also are capable of playing poker as second nature. The amount of brain-power they have to spend running odds, calculations, making reads is almost non-existent. Their neural pathways are well-developed, and they can do other things, like carrying on a story without holding up action.

There aren't a lot of amateurs making the final table in mixed games. The vast number of amateurs that enter NLH events opens the door to the likelihood that you are going to have at least one boring hoodie-sunglasses player hunkered down at the final table, crushing the vibe of the whole table. He can't carry on a story because he has to think - and he has life-changing money on the line.

FWIW, I've been trying to introduce mixed games to my group. Some love it , some don't. They all love hold'em though. If the poker boom centered on 2-7 draw, Stud, or Scarney, the world would be very different and someone might be making a speech about how much more fun NLH is.

Agree. I like mixed games, love razz, love (trying) to play o8..... But I also love hold em' and always will. I'll never be disappointed if that's the game we are playing even if I would be excited to play something different. They are not mutually exclusive. (And I love the line about if the poker boom was centered around something other than hold em' there would be a push to "check out this other awesome game we could play".)

I've always had the thought that the people who shout from the rooftops how hold em' is dead and boring are in the too cool for school mindset a little. I'm sure they like other games better than hold em', but a table full of friends (or enemies) around a hold em' game with a big pile of money in the pot is not the torture some make it out to be.

Viva la hold em'!!!! ;)

Agree. I like mixed games, love razz, love (trying) to play o8..... But I also love hold em' and always will. I'll never be disappointed if that's the game we are playing even if I would be excited to play something different. They are not mutually exclusive. (And I love the line about if the poker boom was centered around something other than hold em' there would be a push to "check out this other awesome game we could play".)

I've always had the thought that the people who shout from the rooftops how hold em' is dead and boring are in the too cool for school mindset a little. I'm sure they like other games better than hold em', but a table full of friends (or enemies) around a hold em' game with a big pile of money in the pot is not the torture some make it out to be.

Viva la hold em'!!!! ;)
I think many people that are down on holdem are down on it because that's the only game most people will play....not because there is anything wrong with it in particular. Damn near twenty years now, Holdem or nothing. Jesus Christ....give it a rest.

The good news is people still suck at it.

I think many people that are down on holdem are down on it because that's the only game most people will play....not because there is anything wrong with it in particular. Damn near twenty years now, Holdem or nothing. Jesus Christ....give it a rest.

The good news is people still suck at it.
Fair point. Different not better but different makes it better. I can agree with that for sure.

I like NLHE but I just get bored playing it all the time. Most of the home games around here are NLHE tournaments followed by NLHE cash games. By the end of the night, I'm just done with HE. When I host, I try to mix it up even though it limits the amount of people who will attend my games since most people only play NLHE. My next game is an Omaha night with PLO - Stumpler - PLO Hi/Hi round by round and I can't wait to play!

I like NLHE but I just get bored playing it all the time. Most of the home games around here are NLHE tournaments followed by NLHE cash games. By the end of the night, I'm just done with HE. When I host, I try to mix it up even though it limits the amount of people who will attend my games since most people only play NLHE. My next game is an Omaha night with PLO - Stumpler - PLO Hi/Hi round by round and I can't wait to play!
You need to try 2nd/2nd and @Boother36-style. ;)

Always bemused by people who don’t want to play mix games because they say “I’m not good at those games”. Newsflash, you’re not good at Hold-em either!
Right!
I’ll be honest. The the biggest reason I’m down on Holdem is that most people who know what they’re doing can crush me at it. But give me a mixed game that none of us have studied to death, and I can usually find an edge.

You need to try 2nd/2nd and @Boother36-style. ;)
Ahhh….the classic 2nd 2nd game….love it, it drives lots of action….the 2nd highest hand and 2nd lowest hand split the pot….some claim it might be gimmicky, and it might be a bit silly, but fun none the less!!!

You never really have 2nd nuts locked up... If you're too good, the nuts fold and now you have the high (or low) hand. If you're too weak, there always a better hand.
Yeah, I stand by my first impression. That detailed analysis did not sway me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom