For Those Who've Played Poker With Me - Thoughts On My Skill Level? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I've played with a number of you at meetups in cash games and tournaments, and would appreciate your input on my style of play and relative skill level. Do you find me fairly straight-forward, overly aggressive, call too much, etc? Interested in seeing what people feel my strengths and weaknesses are.

Always looking for insight into improving my game and figure review from my peers would be helpful, since it's easy to put on blinders and believe something about yourself based on ones own personal bias and seeing how others view me would be useful.

This was inspired by another member I spoke with who had created player profiles for his regulars at his game.

You suck. Give up :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Hahah my bad I couldn't resist. Good idea though, it would definitely be interesting to learn how other players perceive your abilities and style..

Is this a reverse tell? I mean, if I sucked, wouldn't you WANT me in your game? But now you're trying to get me to stop playing.... hmmmmmm
That's a good point.

You are an amazing player, and we miss seeing your genius in the P* games. Come back soon!

Or don't, we don't care.

But in all seriousness, I've got too small a sample size to realistically evaluate your game (plus, what do I know anyway?), but I can tell that I'd love to sit at a table with you at least once, @Anthony Martino. Even if you destroy me and take all my chips, it would be well worth the money just for the entertainment.

Which game are you talking about? I've seen an O8 leak of yours a few times that I can share. Be careful getting all your chips into the pot on early streets with the nut low in O8. If your hand can't compete for the high (e.g., no nut flush potential, or wheel cards with higher straight redraw), and you've got a pot/re-pot situation in front of you, the nut low can/should be folded. This is especially true if you do not have the opportunity to make a new nut low if one of your existing low cards hits. I've seen you get quartered for stacks a few times, which hurts any session. Be very careful aggressively pursuing any low-only hand that isn't reasonably protected against counterfeiting (e.g., betting a lone A2 with no other card <8 that help protect your hand when an A or 2 hits the board, ideally protected with a 4/5 or lower). When your hand can't compete for high, the quality of your low hand must be much better to disregard pot control and start playing for stacks. $0.02

Last edited:
Which game are you talking about? I've seen an O8 leak of yours a few times that I can share. Be careful getting all your chips into the pot on early streets with the nut low in O8. If your hand can't compete for the high, and you've got a pot/re-pot situation in front of you, the nut low can/should be folded. This is especially true if you do not have the opportunity to make a new nut low if one of your existing low cards hits. I've seen you get quartered for stacks a few times, which hurts any session. Be very careful aggressively pursuing any low-only hand that isn't reasonably protected against counterfeiting (e.g., betting a lone A2 with no other card <8 that help protect your hand when an A or 2 hits the board, ideally protected with a 4/5 or lower). When your hand can't compete for high, the quality of your low hand must be much better to disregard pot control and start playing for stacks. $0.02

Now see, THIS is quality stuff right here! Thank you Inca!

But in all seriousness, I've got too small a sample size to realistically evaluate your game (plus, what do I know anyway?), but I can tell that I'd love to sit at a table with you at least once, @Anthony Martino. Even if you destroy me and take all my chips, it would be well worth the money just for the entertainment.

I'll be over at 6, please empty your bank accounts

Honestly, (and it's been awhile, and also a very small sample size) your skill level didn't stand out to me in either direction. There are definitely some horrible players I've played with from PCF, and also some very good ones, and you don't fall into either category (although like I said it's been awhile, you could have improved your game since then).

Honestly, (and it's been awhile, and also a very small sample size) your skill level didn't stand out to me in either direction. There are definitely some horrible players I've played with from PCF, and also some very good ones, and you don't fall into either category (although like I said it's been awhile, you could have improved your game since then).

Thanks Chippy, I appreciate you taking the time to share

@Anthony Martino I haven’t had the opportunity to play against you so perhaps posting some hand histories with your though process would help to give some insight into your play for us to give feedback on.

@Anthony Martino I haven’t had the opportunity to play against you so perhaps posting some hand histories with your though process would help to give some insight into your play for us to give feedback on.

Sure, here you go:

Hand I folded recently in an online home game tourney (we square up via pp f&f on the side)

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/this-fold-look-ok.42397/

Someone elses hand I replied to with my insight

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...on-points-on-all-4-streets.41574/#post-771897

A hand I played in a local low-limit tourney

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/flop-a-monster-draw-from-the-bb-with-me.35368/

Flopping the nuts and still having it by the river - extracting value

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/flop-the-nuts-with-me-from-the-button.35367/

A hand where I make a frisky raise and flop an OESFD

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/get-frisky-with-me-and-flop-oesfd.35366/

I sense weakness in the field and try to steal from the limpers

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/hand-from-200k-guaranteed-little-slick-tourney.33322/

I play pocket Jacks!

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/play-jj-with-me-live-super-stack-blitz-tourney.32856/

Mmmm......suited low cards

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/flop-three-of-a-kind-with-me-20k-guaranteed.32108/

One more hand

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/hand-from-125k-guaranteed-main-event.31673/

I lied! You can't trust a poker player! Flop top set with me on a super wet board!

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/flop-top-set-with-me-wpt-deepstacks-main-event.30763/

This. I would say mid to good. To echo Inca, your aggressiveness gets you into pots you shouldn't be in and you pot commit yourself. Sometimes your ego to outplay someone gets in the way but mostly good reads save you. Not that you need a different style of play but you aren't in a @MatB category of aggressiveness that can make that style work. All players have the ability to make their style of play work for them but sometimes you overreach.

This. I would say mid to good. To echo Inca, your aggressiveness gets you into pots you shouldn't be in and you pot commit yourself. Sometimes your ego to outplay someone gets in the way but mostly good reads save you. Not that you need a different style of play but you aren't in a @MatB category of aggressiveness that can make that style work. All players have the ability to make their style of play work for them but sometimes you overreach.

An @MatB strat thread would go like this

Pot, pot, pot motherf@cker

What kind of markup are you getting on action you sell?

Thanks Moose! I consider myself a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none. So I generally view myself as "advanced-intermediate" when it comes to poker. I also think I'm more of a feel/exploitive player in more instances than I am one of those "quit my engineering degree in college to pursue poker professionally" types (you know the guys, no personality but REALLY good at "the maths")

And yes, I sometimes aspire to add in the aggressiveness of a @MatB or @Ben but I'm definitely nowhere near their level skilled on the LAG side of things.

What kind of markup are you getting on action you sell?

4.2 bro, 4.2...…..

Please come back to Tuesday night plo. If you attend I’ll send you a screen print of my color coding and notes for you.

Thanks Moose! I consider myself a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none. So I generally view myself as "advanced-intermediate" when it comes to poker. I also think I'm more of a feel/exploitive player in more instances than I am one of those "quit my engineering degree in college to pursue poker professionally" types (you know the guys, no personality but REALLY good at "the maths")

And yes, I sometimes aspire to add in the aggressiveness of a @MatB or @Ben but I'm definitely nowhere near their level skilled on the LAG side of things.

4.2 bro, 4.2...…..

There you go. I think we said the exact same thing. :)

Which game are you talking about? I've seen an O8 leak of yours a few times that I can share. Be careful getting all your chips into the pot on early streets with the nut low in O8. If your hand can't compete for the high (e.g., no nut flush potential, or wheel cards with higher straight redraw), and you've got a pot/re-pot situation in front of you, the nut low can/should be folded. This is especially true if you do not have the opportunity to make a new nut low if one of your existing low cards hits. I've seen you get quartered for stacks a few times, which hurts any session. Be very careful aggressively pursuing any low-only hand that isn't reasonably protected against counterfeiting (e.g., betting a lone A2 with no other card <8 that help protect your hand when an A or 2 hits the board, ideally protected with a 4/5 or lower). When your hand can't compete for high, the quality of your low hand must be much better to disregard pot control and start playing for stacks. $0.02
Great. Thanks for nothing, Forrest. :mad:

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words,, and that must mean that Anthony is worth about 20 pictures an hour, minimum. Here's one:
Your new avatar?

donkey-fish.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom