Foam options for poker chip traveling storage case lining (1 Viewer)

WedgeRock

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I'm going to customize a poker storage case. I'm looking for foam suggestions to fill in the extra room and keep the chips and racks safe.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this. This will be a travel case, but its not like it needs to survive falling off the back of a truck. I want some rigid foam on the bottom. Something to support the weight of 2 stacks of four racks. I would use the same rigid foam along the walls, but maybe not as thick. I'd also want a layer of this rigid foam to ride between the two stacks of racks. Something like this:

IMG_20190801_145357412.jpg

Between the rigid foam and the racks along the walls, I'm thinking a layer of more cushioning foam. The top can be all cushioned foam.

Has anyone done this, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Interior dimensions of the case are approximately 12" long x 6 3/4" wide x 8" tall.

A double stacks of chip racks is approximately 8 1/2" long x 6" wide x 7 1/2" tall.

Last edited:
@Ben8257 did some customizing in his cases with some rigid foam to get all his chips to fit properly and securely. I'll see if he can contribute here after he finishes washing some of his chippies :p

Our cabinets use the foam from mycasebuilder.com. LMK if you'd like to know more.
That's actually great info... I think I'm looking for PE foam for the sides and base, and for between the racks.

Plastidip the foam and you should be more than good enough IMO. Dramatically alters the foam.

But this intrigues me also... Might go with pick and pluck and Plasti-dip as a first try... Probably cheaper than custom foam...

That's actually great info... I think I'm looking for PE foam for the sides and base, and for between the racks.

Mycasebuilder uses a waterjet to machine the foam all the way through, then attaches a bottom. Depending on size the cost is about $40 including shipping.

But this intrigues me also... Might go with pick and pluck and Plasti-dip as a first try... Probably cheaper than custom foam...

Plastidip is pricey... it's like $50-$60 for a can. Someone asked me about it the other day - I don't know how it would bond with foam but I can ask the people at Mycasebuilder if you'd like. Pluck foam is junk, but Plastidip might improve it enough to make it viable. But by the time you go to the trouble and the expense, it might be cheaper to just use an upgraded PE foam product.

Not sure if the per can price, but two 11oz cans are $5.82...
You will use way more than you thought. Overspray and the absorption rate of the foam. Also if you spray directly into the case might have different results, but if you spray the foam outside of the case be aware of spraying too much or unsupported areas. I had mine standing up and the side bowed from the weight of the material added. The second one I did I took my time and numerous various coats on different sections to prevent the bowing.

I'm gonna at least get a quote from @Moxie Mike's place. If I do it myself, I'm probably looking at a separate piece of foam for each wall, and a think lll like the cleaner look of one contiguous piece of foam.

I can operate a tape measure with relative precision.

That said, @Moxie Mike, I may bounce ideas off you. You've probably done some of the measurements I need done... I know your cases are typically direct chips (no racks) but I've got a few ideas...

I'm gonna at least get a quote from @Moxie Mike's place. If I do it myself, I'm probably looking at a separate piece of foam for each wall, and a think lll like the cleaner look of one contiguous piece of foam.

I can operate a tape measure with relative precision.

That said, @Moxie Mike, I may bounce ideas off you. You've probably done some of the measurements I need done... I know your cases are typically direct chips (no racks) but I've got a few ideas...
You have my contact info. Don't hesitate to use it.

I'm considering trying expanding foam.

I'll line the inside with a layer (Saran wrap?) and add foam. I'll trim off a bottom piece about an inch thick and cut the top to size. Then out of the middle block, I can cut away an interior chamber where the racks will fit.

If doesn't work, I'm only out a few bucks and some time...

Anyone tried something similar?

I'm considering trying expanding foam.

I'll line the inside with a layer (Saran wrap?) and add foam. I'll trim off a bottom piece about an inch thick and cut the top to size. Then out of the middle block, I can cut away an interior chamber where the racks will fit.

If doesn't work, I'm only out a few bucks and some time...

Anyone tried something similar?

This article has a link to a tool drawer insert based on this concept sorta

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifeha...ting-case-for-your-tools-or-preci-5836523/amp

At my kind-of-Home-deport they sell foam inserts for pelican case, you can tear off the cubicles to fit your tools or camera or stuff

wphc1_2_3.jpg

Dammit.

I was working on the computer tonight and meant to check out the custom foam creator from @moxiemike... It doesn't work so well on my phone...

Maybe next time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom