Foam doesn’t hurt chips?? (1 Viewer)

That’s why I went away from open cell (PnP) foam and now only use closed cell foam in all my MM & Pelican cases. Open cell foam by itself probably isn’t so bad on materials that chips are made from but after coating it with PlastiDip it turns nasty. Just the off gassing alone was enough to change my mind on PlastiDip. I’m not worried about the hard closed cell foam and seldom do the chips even touch it when in racks.

It could be a really long term problem, but unless you are setting them up stored in a case for years on end without pulling them out it isn’t a problem that I see.

Open Cell Foam

1a-jpg.702864

Closed Cell Foam

2b-jpg.702867

4d-jpg.702873
Did you use mycasebuilder.com to design and make the closed cell foam layout?

Did you use mycasebuilder.com to design and make the closed cell foam layout?

Yes, I did. They didn't have a template for Members Mark cases so I have to measure/design from scratch. They do have template for most brands/models of cases, Pelican, Nanuk, Seahorse, DORO, Apache, Plano, SKB, etc..... You can buy just the foam by iteself or purchase the case with the foam if you want (although the cases can be found cheaper by themselves). I bought quite a few of the members Mark 16" canses when they came out and paid about $20/case for them. They are the perfect size for 800 chips, setups & DB's and an easily managable weight to carry with a sturdy handle.

And an FYI, I bought mine early 2021 and the price was $60 for the foam pictured above, worth every penny IMO. But when I checked on ordering more last month their prices have gone up over 20% in the last year & that foam is now $74

That’s why I went away from open cell (PnP) foam and now only use closed cell foam in all my MM & Pelican cases. Open cell foam by itself probably isn’t so bad on materials that chips are made from but after coating it with PlastiDip it turns nasty. Just the off gassing alone was enough to change my mind on PlastiDip. I’m not worried about the hard closed cell foam and seldom do the chips even touch it when in racks.

It could be a really long term problem, but unless you are setting them up stored in a case for years on end without pulling them out it isn’t a problem that I see.

Open Cell Foam

1a-jpg.702864

Closed Cell Foam

2b-jpg.702867

4d-jpg.702873
Doesn't close cell have less shock absorption though? More damage possible from higher density and hardness on a drop?

Doesn't close cell have less shock absorption though? More damage possible from higher density and hardness on a drop?
I appreciate the question in theory. I totally understand going to irrational levels to achieve whatever is closest to perfection - that's fun. But practically speaking, have you ever heard of chips being damaged in a drop (where the case didn't fail) regardless of foam type? I have not.

Maybe....... personally I haven't ever dropped mine and don't plan on it, but theoretically open cell would probably have more give/cushion in a severe/hard drop.

Chips in foam, climate/humidity are likely your biggest issues regarding storing chips in foam. I know it is not recommended for firearms due to the foam attracting ambient moisture leading to rust over time. Thus chips being a non-rusting product generally (except sluggo's) you are probably fine using foam in all but hot moist climates. I would be more concerned with chips warping due to heat than the foam sticking/melting to them long term if stored somewhere that frequented above 30 degrees Celsius (worse yet a moist environment with the same).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom