Flying with Poker Chips? (1 Viewer)

SquirtlePow

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I'll be travelling to the United States soon and want to pick up my first set of chips, most likely milanos. Now, what would the best way to fly back with them be? I figured some members would have experience with this. I plan on flying with carry on only and the set would be anywhere from 600-1000 chips.

No reason to go to the US to pick up cheap china clays. Have you checked prices for ordering from European e-stores, or directly from China to the Netherlands through eBay?
Might be worth doing for Paulsons or CPCs (personally, I 'd love to visit the latter's factory in Maine).

That said, it would be hard to carry-on 1000 chips (at least 12kg, case included) weight-wise, even if you travel with just the clothes you 'll be wearing (and buy underwear, toothbrush etc in the US, which you 'll of course leave behind). Maximum total cabin luggage weight in KLM flights is indeed 12kg. In economy, that is. If you fly First Class to America to pick up china clays, you may provoke an angry mob in this forum:LOL: :laugh:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not going for the chips, I'm going anyways and thought I might as well pick up some chips to save me the shipping. My flight back is with delta and on their website it says they have no restrictions on weight for carry on. (https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/during-your-trip/carry-on.html) I know people don't love china clays but it's my first set and I'm not ready (yet) to spend more. Just looking for some tips on how to transport them, doesn't have to be in a case. Not sure what they ship in.

I 'm impressed that there's no limit to the cabin weight - but there should still be a size limit. @WedgeRock :D
With cargo-hold luggage, it's all solved.

Just FYI, I stopped at the Brybelly store in Florida when I picked up one of my first sets (Milanos). After factoring in sales tax, it was cheaper for me to go home and have them shipped. Overseas will likely be different, but just letting you know that sometimes pushing buttons on a keyboard is the cheapest option.

Beyond that, many members have carried chips with their carry-on. (I carry chips on nearly every flight, plus a tiny table so I can play while on the plane). You can expect to be stopped in security and the chips tested for explosives. It only takes 5 minutes or so, but it usually happens.

The cheap aluminum case that is usually associated with Milanos is your biggest risk. The handles are attached with 2 very thin pins. The hinges are attached to pressboard. The latches latch, but dont really secure tightly. One failure on any part, and you have distributed 1000 chips across the airport or the airplane. I've witnessed some brutish individuals trying with all their might to stuff one more bag into an overhead bin. It doesn't matter how careful you are, it's the other guy that will cause issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom