Flopped a 7-card straight in PLO - Slowplay or Fire Away? (1 Viewer)

Moxie Mike

Full House
Reaction score
Tagging @Anthony Martino for guidance.

$1-2 PLO with a $5 bring-in. Stacks are ~$600 effective with one shorter stack of about $300.

Relevant Reads: Player on my immediate right (BB in the hand) is an excessively aggressive player on many streets including preflop. Often gets it in with weak 2-pair and overpair type hands. He is on his second $500 bullet in an hour and has ran his stack up to $1200 mostly from a multiway pot where he got in with QQxx AIPF and stacked two guys when they ran it twice and he binked both boards.

Everyone else in the game plays relatively straightforward but aren't afraid to get it in and gamble with non-nutted hand and draws.

Game dynamic: Game can be wild for a while - then would calm down and then become wild and crazy again. Stacks get in at least once per orbit by the flop or turn - pretty much everyone at the table has agreed to run it 2x as a default. Multiple $1500+ stacks on the table.

HERO is dealt :9h::js::qh::ks: UTG and limps for $5. No one raises and we take a flop 6-way. Pot = $30.

Flop comes :7s::8c::td:.

BB bets full pot.

HERO?

Repot. Stacks aren't crazy deep, we have nuts with higher straight redraw and backdoor spades

We don't want to just call and let someone with 2 pair or a set get there without paying for it

We don't want to let someone turn a flush draw we don't block without paying for it

EDIT: BB is likely to put his money in bad, let's make that as easy as possible. Best case he is drawing dead with the bottom straight and no redraws.

But he may stack off with 2 pr here too

I would just call hoping someone will pitch in or raise and look to pot bet on turn if board doesn't pair.
That is quite deceptive line, all flopped straights and sets will repot giving you chances for possible free roll.
If you repot on the flop you play your hand a bit face up.
Again just my opinion

I think Hero should repot.

Maybe he gets to isolate BB and play for stacks, don't be greedy - getting a big chance to stack BB is a fine prize by itself. There doesn't seem to be a good reason to try and "trick" BB, he will give his chips away if you allow him the chance.

Maybe a third player can't fold with top set or the made straight.

And if Hero doesn't bet his hand for himself, he isn't getting all in ( or near enough ) on the turn.

PLO is no place for straights to be slow playing. Hero isn't going to like most of the possible turn cards. Let's get the pot big enough that Hero's hand plays itself when a tough river card comes.

Fire away Sir -=- DrStrange

If you think raising will isolate then I raise. If raising just means that everyone will call to get it all in and run it twice then I call to see if the turn is clean before getting it all in.

Tagging @Anthony Martino for guidance.

$1-2 PLO with a $5 bring-in. Stacks are ~$600 effective with one shorter stack of about $300.

Relevant Reads: Player on my immediate right (BB in the hand) is an excessively aggressive player on many streets including preflop. Often gets it in with weak 2-pair and overpair type hands. He is on his second $500 bullet in an hour and has ran his stack up to $1200 mostly from a multiway pot where he got in with QQxx AIPF and stacked two guys when they ran it twice and he binked both boards.

Everyone else in the game plays relatively straightforward but aren't afraid to get it in and gamble with non-nutted hand and draws.

Game dynamic: Game can be wild for a while - then would calm down and then become wild and crazy again. Stacks get in at least once per orbit by the flop or turn - pretty much everyone at the table has agreed to run it 2x as a default. Multiple $1500+ stacks on the table.

HERO is dealt :9h::js::qh::ks: UTG and limps for $5. No one raises and we take a flop 6-way. Pot = $30.

Flop comes :7s::8c::td:.

BB bets full pot.

HERO?

Before I can answer. Are you a puller or a pusher

Repot. In PLO, with 6 people in on the flop, you have to push this to the moon. With this many people seeing a flop in PLO, you can almost guarantee someone flopped a set. You can't let them pray for the board to pair cheaply. You gotta force them to pay as much as possible for the privilege.

To wrap this up, I did repot it to $120... everyone folded before I could even get the chips out there.

I'm sure I had cultivated a tight table image to that point - mostly due to being card dead but I had done a lot of limp/folding to that point in the night. I repotted hoping to get it in against someone who had flopped the same straight... knowing we'd run it 2x might give me a chance to get 3/4 if I make the higher straight.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

My question is why Hero limped his hand? I would open betting..
Mainly because of the game dynamics. Pots were routinely 3-bet (many times by the borderline maniacal BB) so playing a large pot OOP again multiple opponents is not ideal. I'd much rather limp/call a single raise there and take a flop. In a tighter game where a PFR might get one or two callers at most then I could see raising there.
Hero is UTG, it's a nice hand, but not containing nut flush draws

Bloating pots and playing OOP can be a recipe for disaster in PLO
IMO position matters so much more in PLO than in NLHE. Being OOP in Holdem is an inconvenience... in PLO it's an outright disadvantage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom