Flop top set with me WPT Deepstacks Main Event (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Played the $1,100 WPT Deepstacks Main Event in Tampa today

The structure is amazing, they have a 75/150 level then it's 75/150 with a 25 ante. They even have a 250/500 between the 200/400 and 300/600 levels.

You start with 25k chips so it really rewards skillful play

Anyway, we are still very early in the tourney

I have around 20k to start this hand and I'm UTG with :td::ts:, all villains cover

I limp for 200, UTG +2 is a middle aged man wearing a colared shirt with a gold chain and some chest hair showing, of portuguese or brazillian descent (could be mistaken for a white guy)

He is new to the table so no history, he raises to 700

The two maniacs at the table are fortunately to my right in the blinds one of them is close to 100% VP$iP

They both call, I call and we see the flop four-handed

Pot: 3k

:8d::tc::9d:

Both blinds check, Hero?

Played the $1,100 WPT Deepstacks Main Event in Tampa today

The structure is amazing, they have a 75/150 level then it's 75/150 with a 25 ante. They even have a 250/500 between the 200/400 and 300/600 levels.

You start with 25k chips so it really rewards skillful play

Anyway, we are still very early in the tourney

I have around 20k to start this hand and I'm UTG with :td::ts:, all villains cover

I limp for 200, UTG +2 is a middle aged man wearing a colared shirt with a gold chain and some chest hair showing, of portuguese or brazillian descent (could be mistaken for a white guy)

He is new to the table so no history, he raises to 700

The two maniacs at the table are fortunately to my right in the blinds one of them is close to 100% VP$iP

They both call, I call and we see the flop four-handed

Pot: 3k

:8d::tc::9d:

Both blinds check, Hero?
Stack sizes? I am leaning toward POT!

I am not a skilled tournament player. Take my advice for what little it is worth. . . .

The pot is 3,000. Hero has 19,300 left, so the SPR is a bit more than six. Given villain descriptions, I'd be hard pressed not to be pot committed at the moment, though the turn could wreck hero's hand.

I am torn between two lines - a tricky trap play that starts with a check or a normal value bet, say 2,500.

Let's go with the tricky-trappy play and see what happens. I suggest hero check here with a trapping plan in mind. I'd be hard pressed to find a fold no matter how the action unfolds. Not impossible to fold top set but vs maniacs I think this is a go to war kind of hand.

DrStrange

Why didn't we raise pre?

I'm going for a check raise here most definitely. Turn could totally sick and put us into check call mode though, knowing we probably have to fold to a river barrel if unimproved.

I have approx 20k and all villains cover
ok I was looking at the stack sizes of the other two callers once you are 4 way.

Anyway I still like my pot size bet. I hate to see such a textured board this early when I am holding a set and with three others in the hand I want to reduce the villains

If you know the raiser will cbet I say check. But since he is an unknown and just as likely to check behind as he doesn't know the rest of the table either I would bet 2-3k with an eye to shoving the turn if there are any callers.

Ugly

one of those hands where you're either way ahead or way, way, way behind.

You don't hold the potential nuts theirs 2 possible straights, many flush draws,1 possible drawing straight flush, 2 other possible made sets where you own them. the 2 oter sets are 8 to 1 unlikely. the flush draws and srtaight draws are more likely.

you are probably ahead right now. but the things against you are many.

Obviously you have to bet - but how much. enough to get info but not too much that you're over invested in the pot.

how you would you read a flat call if you bet? it would be really hard. a raise against you would be better information but still if you got raised what then?

this hand is all sorts of ugly. You're in the middle of a mine field against 3 other hands. you're looking for the board to pair before you have any real power in the hand.

hairy chest bling guy is the description of a egotistical bully who wants to fight, 2 maniacs willing to bluff.

god this hand is going to get ugly for someone. I cant look away....

Bet 2700, since you can't depend on LTA to not check.

Why didn't we raise pre?

Because this is very early in a long, deepstacked event with a fantastic structure, we're UTG and have a full table behind us and this field was a lot more aggressive than most, didn't want to play a bloated pot OOP

Anyway, I check to the raiser who bets 1300 into the 3k pot, sb folds, bb calls

Pot 5600, action on Hero.......

I’d likely have raised pre just to avoid this exact scenario. But from this point, I reraise to 5K and prepare to lick my wounds.

I’d likely have raised pre just to avoid this exact scenario.

This is an $1,100 event with players who can and will fire multiple bullets. They will call with a WIDE range of hands especially this early when stacks are deep, so if I raise UTG with TT I likely still end up in this spot. As such, I lean towards pot control/management in the early stages since I only have one bullet to fire

Honestly, I'm prepared to ship it to the aggressors flop bet. My experience playing Brazilian/Portuguese players online is they can be very LAG.

He's just as likely to make this bet with a straight draw or flush draw as he is with a made hand. Even if you're up against the absolute one hand you don't want to see, QJdd, you're only a 65/35 dog and crushing everything else in his range. You can't let him set his own price to draw. I say ship it and take this pot right here or charge him every chip to continue. A pot sized raise nearly commits, so ship it now. If you need a boat and brick the turn, you only pick up more outs going into the river to make a board pair or your quad card. We also block some SF draws with the 10d. J7 is highly unlikely, so if he's got a straight, it's 76 or QJ. A regular straight and you're a 60/40 dog, a flush draw with it, and 65/35. Everything else you're 75/25 favorite against any other real hand he may have here. Calling and you're one ugly turn card from being OOP to decide to fold or continue. SHIP IT!

But then again, what do I know? :p

Last edited:
I would, like the OP, have flat called 700 preflop.

Here i would check raise, eventually try to eliminate 2 players, but if the turn is ugly be prepared to fold

Villain only bet 1300 into a 3k pot and the maniac just called, so I figure to have the best hand and check-raise to 4200

Villain calls, maniac folds

Pot: 13k
Heros remaining stack: 15-16k

Turn :qd:

Hero is first to act....

Just catching up here. Man you are in a tough spot. The only good news is that you do have the :td: so you have blocked one diamond. Still plenty of hands that have you behind. I would lead out with 7K and hope like heck he doesn't go over the top. IF he shoves or calls and the river hurts you I think you can fold. You still have 8-9K or 40+ bb so you aren't out of the game.

I'd check here. You have 10 outs out of 44 unknown cards (To you and the villain). If he bets about 10k or less you have the implied odds in what would be a 44k pot if you get it all in (the math is very simple this time), and that's assuming he has zero bluffs in his range. I do think you need to work on your bet sizing, a larger squeeze would have possibly folded out a lot of the draws, and raising pre might have had you guys get it in on the flop. Anyway, you should call most bets here.

Check and I suppose call any reasonable bet. If you're sure he isn't trapping based on body language I suppose you could go for some thin value here.

Betting 5000, and folding to a villain shove (indicating a J for the straight). You will get calls from worse -- big pairs, AQ, A9, etc. -- as your hand is very underrepped. I think passive play here leaves money on the table -- unlikely villain is trapping, since you have shown very little aggression so far.

I wouldn't lead out with a bet. Select what you'd be willing to pay to get to showdown and if his bet is within range, call to try to catch a bluff.

I think leading out with a bet is asking for us to get a reraise, which we plan to fold to. Check/calling might get us to showdown cheaper.

Again though, what do I know? That's why I love reading hand discussions from people with different lines of thinking. :)

Pot: 13k
Heros remaining stack: 15-16k

Turn :qd:

Hero is first to act and checks, villain checks

River :3c:

Hero checks, villain bets 2k, Hero?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom