Flattening Warped KEMs (1 Viewer)

I bought KEM twice and both time ended in disappointment, they bowed and cracked so easily even after all the extra care and steps taken to prevent it

They just not my cup of tea, there are many more choices out there with little or no maintenance needs at lower prices

I think the best bang for the buck out there right now is Cartamundi CCPs bridge that can be had for $10-14 on Amazon. They are heavier PVC so I think they would be fine.
I’ve also never seen Copags warp and next to Kem, have owned sets of them the longest. They do have other issues which is why I don’t buy them anymore…but warping isn’t one…and if you aren’t playing with them a whole lot they should be fine (they bleed and fade with routine use)
I wrote about this recently, but I just opened a sealed deck of copags that I’d had for a couple of years. They had a small but noticible bow to them, out of the cellophane.
I used to play in a card room where they used copags and used them longer than they should. They were very often bowed and somewhat significantly.
I posted about it somewhere here on PCF within the past couple of months and got the same feedback - everybody said copags don’t bow. But I have enough personal experience to say that they absolutely do.

I bought KEM twice and both time ended in disappointment, they bowed and cracked so easily even after all the extra care and steps taken to prevent it

They just not my cup of tea, there are many more choices out there with little or no maintenance needs at lower prices
Cracking? Sounds like you got some very very old stock. I’ve played with Kems for 20 years and never saw that. I did see some one post pics and they were decks that were in storage for many many years.

I was all Modiano until I got caught up on history. They are now relegated to ModiaNO and all my setups have been replaced by the Desjgn classic diamond Bridge blackjack index. :)
What history? I don’t know the backstory. Care to share a link so I can read up on it? Thanks

Cracking? Sounds like you got some very very old stock. I’ve played with Kems for 20 years and never saw that. I did see some one post pics and they were decks that were in storage for many many years.
They are quite new stock the common arrow head blue and red, had quite a few thread about the crack / scale issue mention before at PCF. Will probably dig it out tml if I had the time

Last edited:
I've got some modern ones that bowed and cracked kind of like alligator skin to get a sense.

I had KEM's that were warped and it never really bothered us. They were getting sticky however so I washed them in warm water and soap.

I set them all out on a towel to dry and they warped like crazy! Curled up into semicircle shapes. Though I wrecked them for sure. Came back a little while later and as they dried they flattened out completely! I was left with a clean, un-warped KEM's that were good as new!

3oxxz2.jpg

This helped.

I received a setup and one of the deck had his cello torn. When I removed the cards from the cello, they started to wrap quite crazy.

Here's a pic after a bath of warm water + some drops of Dreft. I let them dry one night.

IMG_20220525_074504.jpg

Some of the cards became flat.

I repeated this process a second time and things went better :
IMG_20220526_101717.jpg

Then I decided to put some weight on them - 3 x flat blue stones (approx. 7.8 kg total) with a towel to protect the cards.

Every 8 hours I change the position of the cards (ex : spades on top, then clubs, ...).

After 24 jours, here's the result :

IMG_20220527_084755.jpg

I'll continue and hopefully this deck will be fixed.

Note to myself : never buy Kem cards again.

This helped.

I received a setup and one of the deck had his cello torn. When I removed the cards from the cello, they started to wrap quite crazy.

Here's a pic after a bath of warm water + some drops of Dreft. I let them dry one night.

View attachment 918101

Some of the cards became flat.

I repeated this process a second time and things went better :
View attachment 918103

Then I decided to put some weight on them - 3 x flat blue stones (approx. 7.8 kg total) with a towel to protect the cards.

Every 8 hours I change the position of the cards (ex : spades on top, then clubs, ...).

After 24 jours, here's the result :

View attachment 918104

I'll continue and hopefully this deck will be fixed.

Note to myself : never buy Kem cards again.
Please come back and let us know how they managed over time.

I used a pouch laminator to flatten a warped deck of Kems. Although the results came out pretty good, they went back to their warped state not long after. I have given up trying to flatten them as nothing seems to work long term.

3 days later :

IMG_20220530_101403.jpg

I'll now see how it handles without any weight.

The top card is a Joker hopefully.

Well, after few minutes, the first card is more like the others now.

IMG_20220530_102923~2.jpg

At least the cards are now consistent compared to the first pic of my experiment.

So all it takes is a wash/bath and some pressure over time? Are the cards pat dried or just placed on a towel for air dry?

I remove most of the water from them then air dry for 24 hours.

The stock they use for plastic—and paper—originally come in rolls or spools. The stock will have a natural curve, bend, or warp because of this. The warping is worse for cards made from stock nearest to the core.

If you have Kems that warp easy, then it’s probably because of this. I have a few decks curl right in my hands, but others that don’t. surprisingly, my USPC set up warps the least.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom