First Try with the Chip Design Tool (1 Viewer)

Windwalker

4 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
Last night was a rabbit hole of multiple hours spent with the CPC chip design tool, not specifically yet to create something that might be the ultimate version of what I want for my custom set, but more so just to understand through trial and error how to think about edgespot progressions, colors and more. The colors are Cali-inspired, and I'm posting to get some feedback and more experienced eyes on it. I'd love to identify rookie mistakes, strong "no-no"s and learn from the process.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to give me some feedback!

I started with this version (V1):

krishchips.png

I felt like the edgespot pattern on the $5K was too busy, so tried this: (V2)

krishchips2.png

In V3 and V4 below, I rethought repeating the edgespot color green on the $25 and $500 and created a couple of options.

krishchips3.png

krishchips5.png

Finally, In V5, I changed the frac color to orange from red.

krishchips4.png

I had three colors change after seeing the color samples in person, and this was after a long period of tinkering on the chip creator & feeling pretty settled. (Blurple, Dayglo Tiger, and Retro Red were swapped in, the creator tool doesn’t do them justice IMO)

Having all the various samples also solidified my choice to go oversized, which changed the available spot patterns...The process truly starts when you have the samples in hand

I like the inlay, how you carved out a nice white space against the colorful upper half and tied the value to the chip. It’s crisp and clear.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
While there are no wrong answers, most people prefer spot pattern colors that ’pop’. You can achieve that by either picking colors not too close to each other on the color wheel, and/or by using darker/lighter versions of them. For example I think the $5 colors lack this kind of contrast (I would use this style only on the 50 cent chip, and even then only to kind of mimic the look of a solid chip, which is what fracs often are).

Easy peasy with two-color chips, but gets a bit more complex using three or more colors. It also matters if the spot colors are right next to each other, or separated by the base color. Case in point is the $500, where I would not have Retro Red next to Chocolate. You gain more pop by switching the spot color placement so Retro Red is in the middle, because this particular spot pattern allows you to do that.

While there are no wrong answers, most people prefer spot pattern colors that ’pop’. You can achieve that by either picking colors not too close to each other on the color wheel, and/or by using darker/lighter versions of them. For example I think the $5 colors lack this kind of contrast (I would use this style only on the 50 cent chip, and even then only to kind of mimic the look of a solid chip, which is what fracs often are).

Easy peasy with two-color chips, but gets a bit more complex using three or more colors. It also matters if the spot colors are right next to each other, or separated by the base color. Case in point is the $500, where I would not have Retro Red next to Chocolate. You gain more pop by switching the spot color placement so Retro Red is in the middle, because this particular spot pattern allows you to do that.

I just got home a couple of hours ago, and am so glad someone asked me to look at the chip samples -- you're absolutely right, there's VERY little contrast between some of the colors that seem to pop on the actual tool. Really interesting. This was a great tip, thank you.

I was just looking at that -- as well as butterscotch.
Butterscotch would be nice, but have an overall more dulling effect, which may not be so pleasing with your beachy theme.
Screenshot_20191216_071204.jpg

For reference, the $5 on the bottom left is canary with butterscotch and marooon.

Using different colors in the spots on the same chip might add interest. For example, tri-moons is one of my favorite edges. But I much prefer when the spots are different colors:

C73F2ECC-A8AA-4544-BA64-9ED95A0EE117.png
C7246B35-F3A9-4660-B3D2-CE590844790C.jpeg

Just my 2 cents & not sure if it would look good but for the $500 chip you can go with the same spot design and try
Base colour: Light Chocolate, colour 1,3: Dayglo Yellow & colour 2: Chocolate

Really like these! I would make use of the dayglow colors as base for some of the denoms to make them pop more. The weighted colors are somewhat dull in real life imo.

5 - dg yellow
100 - bright white
5k - dg peacock

My opinion is too many repeated colors and lower denominations are a little dull. Standouts in my opinion: 500, 25, 5000

Very nice, be sure to have a color and mold sample in hand before pulling the trigger. ;-)

Very nice, be sure to have a color and mold sample in hand before pulling the trigger. ;-)

Yes, looked at the samples tonight and made some adjustments. Two versions attached. One with a more elaborate spot progression system. Let me know what you think!

krishv8a.png

Version B with a more complicated spot progression.

krish-v8b.png

For edgespots, I think you could mix things up a bit by not having quite that straightforward of a progression (3-3-3-3-3-3-4-4 / 3-3-3-3-4-4-8-8 in the last mock-ups). Those look clean and are absolutely fine too, but do experiment.

I like it — the $1 is different, and the $1k uses bright white, yes?
Right, I think the $1 provides a nice darker contrast in between the frac and the 5 which are both red/yellow/orange-y. Also, I used dg green on the 500

When do you sleep btw? Isn’t 4am in L.A. now :D.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom