First try at milling... (1 Viewer)

DaSinical1

Pair
Reaction score
So I decided I wanted to try and mill out some Paulson chips with the goal of making a custom solid set. I gotta say... Pretty happy with the results. =) Don't mind the green color. It's just my crappy phone camera.

Those turned out awesome! Let's see your equipment set up. I love milling pron. :tup:

How many chips did it take to get alignment nailed down?
1... Maybe two. Got lucky though. The greens mold we're pretty centered. The red Starburst that I'm doing right now is another story. I gotta reposition my jig for every side since the Starburst hotstamp is almost never perfectly centered. Which also means that the milling area isn't centered. Even then I'm probably removing the whole stamp on about 80% of them. The other 20% I'm removing about 98% of the hotstamp. Leaving just the tiniest of gold slivers. Gotta find a way to remove the gold specs. Was thinking about using some acetone.

To be more precise... The reds mold all look like they were off center when they were made. Not by a huge amount. But even with a little varience... The amount is magnified with the milling process.

I feel your pain. I'm going the CNC route and there is no repositioning the jig.
I've been following your post. Looks pretty promising. I've learned not too be too ocd when it comes to milling. Especially when milling Starbursts. You can either have a perfectly centered milling with visable parts of the hotstamp still showing. Or, you can remove the hotstamp completely but it won't be centered. It's very rare where you can have both.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom