First time trying Moroccan food! (1 Viewer)

dennis63

Flush
Site Vendor
Supporter
Reaction score
I consider myself a real "foodie," and have dined at "21" in New York and other great restaurants. But in nearly six decades of being alive, I've somehow managed to completely avoid Moroccan food. This has left me with one question for all of you:

Why didn't you guys tell me how awesome this stuff is?

We have a couple of Moroccan restaurants in the area. One is on a highway near the airport. I know that doesn't sound good, and the place has always appeared to me to be a bit sketchy from the outside. This weekend, my wife and I decided to try the place, and took a 15-minute drive to the parking lot. Young men sat on an enclosed porch outside smoking hookah pipes. It felt a little like we were stepping into a James Bond movie.

We were greeted at the door and seated at a large, ornate round table in a corner with couch-style seating. A waitress brought out a basin for the requisite hand washing, then we were served wine, and pita bread. We decided to try the restaurant's "Seven Course Meal," and began with a large plate containing three salads -- Moroccan carrot salad, cucumber salad and eggplant salad. (Despite how it sounds, the eggplant salad was incredible.) Each had a unique flavor from a variety and combination of spices I've never experienced before.

Next was something called B'Stella, a layered pie filled with chicken, nuts, eggs and almonds and topped with sugar and cinnamon. Somehow it works, and was my wife's favorite.

Next we had Moroccan chicken with olives, and the mix of spices created a unique and delicious dish. This was followed by beef and lamb shish kabab served over couscous. The biggest hit for me was a sauce served with both dishes called "Harissa." It was unlike anything I've ever tasted. Smoky, spicy... just all around awesome. I wanted to take a gallon of it home.

Finally, fresh fruit, mint tea and Baklava. All in all, it was far too much food for two people, and we took enough home for at least two more meals. We're planning to go back and try some more new things, like stuffed grape leaves, on our next visit.

Anyone else here a fan of this cuisine? Any good recommendations for what to order next time?

Casablanca.jpg
Pita and Wine.jpeg
Kabobs.jpeg

Last edited:
I consider myself a real "foodie," and have dined at "21" in New York and other great restaurants. But in nearly six decades of being alive, I've somehow managed to completely avoid Moroccan food. This has left me with one question for all of you:

Why didn't you guys tell me how awesome this stuff is?

We have a couple of Moroccan restaurants in the area. One is on a highway near the airport. I know that doesn't sound good, and the place has always appeared to me to be a bit sketchy from the outside. This weekend, my wife and I decided to try the place, and took a 15-minute drive to the parking lot. Young men sat on an enclosed porch outside smoking hookah pipes. It felt a little like we were stepping into a James Bond movie.

We were greeted at the door and seated at a large, ornate round table in a corner with couch-style seating. A waitress brought out a basin for the requisite hand washing, then we were served wine, and pita bread. We decided to try the restaurant's "Seven Course Meal," and began with a large plate containing three salads -- Moroccan carrot salad, cucumber salad and eggplant salad. (Despite how it sounds, the eggplant salad was incredible.) Each had a unique flavor from a variety and combination of spices I've never experienced before.

Next was something called B'Stella, a layered pie filled with chicken, nuts, eggs and almonds and topped with sugar and cinnamon. Somehow it works, and was my wife's favorite.

Next we had Moroccan chicken with olives, and the mix of spices created a unique and delicious dish. This was followed by beef and lamb shish kabab served over couscous. The biggest hit for me was a sauce served with both dishes called "Harissa." It was unlike anything I've ever tasted. Smoky, spicy... just all around awesome. I wanted to take a gallon of it home.

Finally, fresh fruit, mint tea and Baklava. All in all, it was far too much food for two people, and we took enough home for at least two more meals. We're planning to go back and try some more new things, like stuffed grape leaves, on our next visit.

Anyone else here a fan of this cuisine? Any good recommendations for what to order next time?

You never asked? Yeah Moroccan food rocks. Great rice.

Huh. My first experience was bad enough that I never had a desire to try it again. Will have to now, though. Thanks for posting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom