First time chip killer - any last minute advice (1 Viewer)

JustDogbert

Two Pair
Reaction score
Well, after poking around in the forums I have seen that a lot (some?) of people relabel their chips. I wish I knew about this stuff sooner, I wouldn't have lived with these ugly inlays for the last 15 or so years.
GLC1.png

I ordered the Non-Acetone NPR - good thing I watched the videos because I was just going to use acetone :bag:
I ordered a hobby knife, with blades, and some eye droppers.
If that doesn't work, I'll make a jig for my plunge router and get a bottom cleaning bit.

Any last minute advice on removing the labels? - Other than don't cut yourself or lose a finger in the router, I'm good on that stuff :)

Anyway, after I get these (Qty: 300) cleaned I'm going to need labels. I see a number of people referring to Gear and I found GearLabels in the forums.

The website says under renovation, so I can't check for myself, is that how you would normally order labels or do you just PM Gear (or something else)?

Are there other recommended label options? If this is blasphemy to you, remember, I'm a noob. :oops:

Oh, and for the curious types here is the label I came up with and a mock-up (thanks to CPC)

1B.png
Fin1.JPG

I plan on redoing all my Good Luck clubs if this doesn't suck too much.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Send Gear a PM with your details. He'll get back to you eventually. He doesn't seem to lack for business from fellow members, and with good reason.

You'll need a small pair of needle-nose pliers.

Don't swear too loud during the process.

Send Gear a PM with your details. He'll get back to you eventually. He doesn't seem to lack for business from fellow members, and with good reason.

You'll need a small pair of needle-nose pliers.

Don't swear too loud during the process.

I wasn't pumped on what I came up with so I hired a designer for the inlays. Once I get my new pics, I will PM Gear my details. Thanks for the info.

Pliers, needles, hooks, and other assorted hand-tools are covered.

I live alone so loud swearing is the norm. :tup:

Well, after poking around in the forums I have seen that a lot (some?) of people relabel their chips. I wish I knew about this stuff sooner, I wouldn't have lived with these ugly inlays for the last 15 or so years.
View attachment 497091

I ordered the Non-Acetone NPR - good thing I watched the videos because I was just going to use acetone :bag:
I ordered a hobby knife, with blades, and some eye droppers.
If that doesn't work, I'll make a jig for my plunge router and get a bottom cleaning bit.

Any last minute advice on removing the labels? - Other than don't cut yourself or lose a finger in the router, I'm good on that stuff :)

Anyway, after I get these (Qty: 300) cleaned I'm going to need labels. I see a number of people referring to Gear and I found GearLabels in the forums.

The website says under renovation, so I can't check for myself, is that how you would normally order labels or do you just PM Gear (or something else)?

Are there other recommended label options? If this is blasphemy to you, remember, I'm a noob. :oops:

Oh, and for the curious types here is the label I came up with and a mock-up (thanks to CPC)

View attachment 497098
View attachment 497099

I plan on redoing all my Good Luck clubs if this doesn't suck too much.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
How long do you think that’ll take?

How long do you think that’ll take?

I have no idea; I plan on starting a batch of 100 and seeing how it turns out.

From the videos I watched, it looks like with practice you can do one chip in ~30 seconds. You slice it, remove the plastic, and eyedropper the NPR. Then you have to wait ~20 minutes for that to do it's job and then come back and clean up the label / chip surface. Considering they got me working from home for the foreseeable future, I figure I'll just grind them out during the day.

I'll update when I have some actual times.

If that turns out to be horrible, I'll probably give the plunge router a shot. I would have to build a jig (maybe an hour) and in that video the guy was banging them out pretty fast (he was using a drill press / jig but same difference).

Having just murdered 740 chips (with 200 more to do when I get em :dead: ) the time frame is really a matter of
First. How quickly your develop your routine, may only take a few to figure out the least path of resistance.
And second. It really depends on the chip. I had several different RHC (Santa Ysabel/ Ultimate Bet/ Jack/ Horseshoe Cinci to name a few) and some were an absolute breeze (Jacks) and some were real pains (UB/ Horseshoe Cinci S$1K’s).
I may also recommend the Qtip method, to control the spread of the NPR easier, making sure to keep it all in the inlay. At least that’s what I did :tup:
There’s lots of useful guides here that’ll help.
Good luck and be carful :cool

I'll offer some advice. Put out a wanted ad for someone that will mill the chips for you if you have that many you want done if you want to go full inlay replacement. I may know a guy but it doesn't hurt to put it out there. Save yourself the time and your fingers. I'm really good with my hands and my first murder (inlay removal) attempts were an absolute disaster. Once I did somewhat get the hang of it, even then it was taking me about 2 hours per barrel of chips to do correctly. For 300 chips, that's 15 hours of work at least, plus the cost of your labels. Do yourself a favor and pay someone to do it. It's honestly not worth your time if you're doing full inlay removal by hand.

For RHC molded chips, I believe unlaminated, matte labels do just fine that go over the existing inlay. I'd go full blown inlay replacement for THC, Card Pips, or any other Paulson mold with textured, laminated labels.

I tried to remove a label once, said F that, took way too long and I sliced open 3 fingers on the same hand. Went straight to milling (I use a lathe at my work, can get a barrel done in about 30-40 mins)

I saw the guy in the video pull the blade right towards his hand... he didn't cut himself but I was always told that was a no no. I intent to spring clamp the chips in place while I cut 'em up :)

I'll offer some advice. Put out a wanted ad for someone that will mill the chips for you if you have that many you want done if you want to go full inlay replacement. I may know a guy but it doesn't hurt to put it out there. Save yourself the time and your fingers. I'm really good with my hands and my first murder (inlay removal) attempts were an absolute disaster. Once I did somewhat get the hang of it, even then it was taking me about 2 hours per barrel of chips to do correctly. For 300 chips, that's 15 hours of work at least, plus the cost of your labels. Do yourself a favor and pay someone to do it. It's honestly not worth your time if you're doing full inlay removal by hand.

For RHC molded chips, I believe unlaminated, matte labels do just fine that go over the existing inlay. I'd go full blown inlay replacement for THC, Card Pips, or any other Paulson mold with textured, laminated labels.

It very well may come to that but I'm one of those guy that has to at least try it for themselves. Plus, I have at least 15 hours of conference calls a week that are the farthest thing from "productive" or "actively engaged time".

I suspect those good luck club chips may be a pain to do. Just start with 1 and take your time. Once you get it figured out it will go much faster.

I suspect those good luck club chips may be a pain to do. Just start with 1 and take your time. Once you get it figured out it will go much faster.

Someone mentioned that older chips are worse so I ordered a rack of the lady luck $1's (sec) to try too (and I actually prefer those spots)...

So, I got tired of waiting for my hobby knife and NPR so I just went at 'em with a box cutter.

What I found was:

- The laminate is tougher than I expected. Gotta apply some pressure.
- A box cutter is a little bulky to be using, stick to the hobby knives.
- The good luck clubs are vinyl (not paper) inlays and sometimes they come out with the laminate
- The spring clamps add some time but save some blood :)
- The label scraps make quite a mess
- Sometimes a chip here or there wants to be a pain in the ass.

Altogether, I did a barrel (both sides) and it took 35 minutes. I timed the 2nd set of 10 chips and the time was 15:46 (so I got faster).

Now, since I didn't yet receive the hobby knife, I didn't clean up all the stickers. These come off real easy (no NPR required) and I could literally do it with my nails (if I had any), I suspect with the flat headed hobby blade, scrapping these clean will be a breeze.

So, I got tired of waiting for my hobby knife and NPR so I just went at 'em with a box cutter.

What I found was:

- The laminate is tougher than I expected. Gotta apply some pressure.
- A box cutter is a little bulky to be using, stick to the hobby knives.
- The good luck clubs are vinyl (not paper) inlays and sometimes they come out with the laminate
- The spring clamps add some time but save some blood :)
- The label scraps make quite a mess
- Sometimes a chip here or there wants to be a pain in the ass.

Altogether, I did a barrel (both sides) and it took 35 minutes. I timed the 2nd set of 10 chips and the time was 15:46 (so I got faster).

Now, since I didn't yet receive the hobby knife, I didn't clean up all the stickers. These come off real easy (no NPR required) and I could literally do it with my nails (if I had any), I suspect with the flat headed hobby blade, scrapping these clean will be a breeze.
When the inlay and sticker all come up in one piece...
81852466-70E7-46E2-8245-E6476346BF07.gif

You'll also find different chips are softer (?) And more material will come up if you cut too deep. A small exacto knife is my weapon of choice.

Just a little update with some stats...

I have now defiled 700 chips.
I do use the box cutter to slice and pop-up the laminate (hand is protected behind the spring clamp that holds the chip in place).
I don't waste any time trying to peal off the label at this stage, just let the NPR do it's job.

Time wise:

De-laminating a rack of chips took me about 2 hours for the 1's (whites), and only 1 hour a rack for the 5's (reds). Don't know why that is, maybe because the fives had more play?

The NPR step takes me a consistent 50 min a rack.

Total time, 2-3 hours a rack.

What chip was the $1 chip originally? GLC? Seems to be the same colour and spots as the Crown $1's I have.
The $1 was originally a good luck club 1. I have seen that color/spot pattern (and the 500's) on some other chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom