First set ever, looking for really any advice (1 Viewer)

StackenBlocken

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hey folks! Long time lurker, first time caller, and *forever* lusting after my own custom set.

I finally decided to pull the trigger on a set of customs for a cash game.. But in a little twist, I decided to build it for a buddy (who I owe a nice wedding gift) instead of me.

I think he's going to be thrilled no matter what, and I so guess the "it's okay if it ain't perfect" factor is what's finally making it a reality. Can always learn from my mistakes and make my set the better one :) .. Of course, I still want it to look awesome .

Main goals:
  • A nice color scheme skewing towards "default" base colors (at least, the ones I'm used to playing with)
  • Modern sort of look (of course, will largely be determined by inlays
  • Don't break the bank on spots
Typical cash game will be something like $1/$2, but he might also play 25¢/50¢. So likely denominations something like:
  • 100 x 25¢
  • 150 x $1
  • 100 x $5
  • 100 x $25
  • 50 x $100
Here's my first attempt! Inlays are all completely provisional (will need a real artist!)

msdr-001.png

Any feedback welcome... cheers!

Your breakdown is light on $5 chips for a 1/2 game, perhaps a little light on $1 chips for a 25c/50c game, and you probably don't really need $100 chips at all. I'd recommend the following for a 500 chip set:

100 x 25c
150 x $1
200 x $5
50 x $25

Still $2425 total bank, and $100 bills can play if they are ever needed.

I'm by no means an expert, but the different color edge spots on the 25c, $1 & $5 don't knock me out. I'm not sure if it just those particular combinations, but it may be worth going back to the design tool and playing with different combinations, or even a single edge spot color rather than multiple colors per chip (has the added bonus of lowering the design level and hence the cost). Your inlay design will also have a huge impact on your color choices (and vice versa). The edge progression you have works nicely IMO.

Definitely look more at the breakdown, as per suggestions above. If you want to keep the $100 in the set (even if it won't get on the table much), you can order as few as 20 of any individual chip from CPC (according to my conversation with @David Spragg ), as long as you are ordering an average of 100 or more of each design. For example, 80 x 25c, 150 x $1, 200 x $5, 50 x $25 & 20 x $100 is a valid order (not saying that is the best breakdown for what you are spreading, just that you can get them in those quantities). If you reduce the spot levels a bit, you can get more chips (better breakdown) for a similar price as what you have above and still retain the full range of denominations.

And definitely get your hands on a current color sample. They are much different in real life, especially some of the unweighted colors (DayGlo Tiger rocks!).

Good luck with your custom adventure!

Hello and welcome!

That's a very generous gift, indeed! Please take into account time factors involved, though. CPC rotates molds depending in their order queue, and it might take a while for E&C to make it into production. Contact @David Spragg to get the info you need.

A simple 600-chip 5-denom breakdown that covers 0.25/0.50 through a big 1/2 game could be:
100x 0.25
200x $1
200x $5
80x $25
20x $100
Total bank $5225

If budget costs are a big factor but wanting to be able to spread multiple games. You may want to get a 50c chip instead of a 25c chip. You only need 60 of them for a full table of of 50/50c game. It plays the same as a 25/50c game.

50c —60 each
$1 —- 170 each
$5 — 200 each
$25– 50 each
$100– 20 each

500 chips total. A little more flexible in the upper end.

Belated thanks to everyone for the feedback! Really appreciate both the denom advice, and especially the more subjective feedback on colors and progressions..

After thinking about his most likely gameplay, I decided to nix the 25¢ piece and reduce to a 4-denom set:

200 x $1
150 x $5
100 x $25
50 x $100
Total 600 chips / $8450 bank

Thanks to everyone's recommendations, I also ordered (and received!) my samples. Decided to nix the white and keep the light blue. The overall pallet comes off a little "girl scout cookies" in the end, but I think it's both going to be a good match for his aesthetic, and maybe even connote the wedding vibe..

I made a couple tweaks to the edge spots but can't find anything I'm happier with.

I can't really decide on molds but also not tool picky; picked E&C after seeing it come up as a favorite a lot... *shrug*

Next stop, time to find an artist!

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 85
  • chips-v2.png
    chips-v2.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 92
FWIW, I find CPC light blue and light green to be too similar in low light conditions. Spot color/pattern choice can significantly affect this, however.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom