First Post From A Humble Newbie (1 Viewer)

CAIQUE

Reaction score
Hello All - After months of lurking on the sidelines and lusting over the Paulson's listed for sale in the Classifieds, I finally joined the forum, and this is my first post. After 45 years of working long hours as a business attorney, I will be retiring next month on my 70th birthday, and I am looking forward to finally having the time to begin hosting a friendly, low-stakes, monthly game. I am familiar with non-tournament games (i.e., 5-card draw and 7-card stud), but I have never hosted or played in a Texas Holdem tournament. Obviously, I have a lot to learn. But this appears to be a good place to start. Recommendations as to the best book on poker, safest site to learn and play on-line, and other friendly advice would be appreciated, Finally, I live in Orange County, California (Costa Mesa, Irvine, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach area). So, if anyone local is hosting a low stakes game and needs to fill a seat, I would be an easy mark. Thank you!

Welcome to PCF! Best of luck on your poker and chipping journey.

Welcome sir, nice intro! Congrats on your upcoming retirement and beginning of your chip journey. It’s a slippery slope that should start with getting some samples to find out what you like. Or just dive right in and start buying cool sets. We’re mostly renting anyway and prices have only gone up.

There are plenty of members in your area so you shouldn’t have a problem finding a game and getting to try out some great chips and meet likeminded people.

In the mean time, here is a great start:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-members-start-here.85303/

Welcome! Congrats on the upcoming retirement! Lots of great info here to help you on your chipping and poker journey.

Welcome! We have a large compendium of information.

Welcome!

Right out of the gate, I wouldn't worry about reading a book on Hold'em. Low stakes poker is all about having fun, and winning or losing a few bucks is just to make the bluffers suffer (otherwise you just shove all-in every hand).

Read a couple websites on how Hold'em is played, get some cards and some chips, and invite a few friends over and give it a go. Once you have a functional understanding of how the game is played, then you can start thinking about the strategic aspects of the game.

Learn how to walk before you try to run.

My First Paella Poker Party!
Some may leave busted but no one leaves hungry!
Using plastic chips while stalking the classifieds!
(Did I post this in the correct forum?)
Paella Poker Party.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom