First Poker Table Build - size question (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to embark on my first build: YAT foam & speed cloth, metalkraft folding legs, 2 x 3/4 plywood.
Looking for feedback on dimensions. I host a home game with eight players. Presently playing on a 60" round catering table which will move to backup duty - the space in my basement fits this table. We are normally sized guys so eight fit comfortably.
The build will be an oval and I am thinking about 66 x 44/42 or 72 x 44/42 with a 5" rail. Any feedback on those sizes? 66" long will fit the space but don't know if we will fit eight comfortably ... Appreciate the feedback!

42x84 is the commonly recommended oval size for 8. If your space can’t accommodate 84” in length, but a 60” round is currently working fine, you may want to entertain going with another round. Hunt around locally to see if you can find Baltic birch plywood in 5’x5’ sheets.

You 've got 23.55in of circumference per player on your round table (60x3.14 = 188.4 divided by 8).
An oval is a round cut in half with a straight part added in the middle.
To achieve the same total circumference (188.4in) you need 44inx3.14(=138.16) plus 50.24 (divided by 2- straight length of each side)=25.12in.
So, precisely 44x69.12in:)
If length 69 is too much for your available room, go 46 or 48in wide and do the math accordingly, to shorten the straight part.

Edit: That said, there is no substitute to a round table for self-dealt games. Only compelling reason to switch to an oval would be to accommodate more than 8 players (where round ones become dysfunctionally huge), or if your available space is oblong anyway.

Last edited:
You 've got 23.55in of circumference per player on your round table (60x3.14 = 188.4 divided by 8).
An oval is a round cut in half with a straight part added in the middle.
To achieve the same total circumference (188.4in) you need 44inx3.14(=138.16) plus 50.24 (divided by 2- straight length of each side)=25.12in.
So, precisely 44x69.12in:)
If length 69 is too much for your available room, go 46 or 48in wide and do the math accordingly, to shorten the straight part.

This math is all correct, of course, but subjectively, rounds tend to feel like they have more room than ovals, given the same amount of linear rail space per player. An approximate 2:1 length to width ratio tends also tends to look best on ovals. Something like 48x70 will look very “fat” in comparison - a round may be more pleasing to your eye. Ymmv of course.

My table happens to be 44 x 66 and seats 8 relatively comfortably with 2 on each long side. It would be more comfortable for the players on the round ends if the table had different legs. It currently has 4 removable lets that are set back from the edges but are still in the way.

I wish I had room for a round table, which IMO is better for self-dealt games. A shorter, fatter oval (like 44x66) works almost as well as a round table. I play a lot of mixed games, and it's difficult to nearly impossible to read cards, especially in stud games, from one end to the other.

In the final, I'll play on nearly anything that won't damage cards or chips.

Something like 48x70 will look very “fat” in comparison.
I like this!

Go as big as the space will allow. I went with 44"x92" but I can fit 10 comfortably or 8 with drink carts.

Here is a mock-up for round tables. I will do one for oval tables shortly.

72o_RoundPokerTableLayouts.jpg

I wouldn't go any wider than 42", nor shorter than 72".

Yeah I would recommend going for an oval over a round table 72"x42" would be ideal IMHO and I would also say a 6" rail is ideal but that's just my personal preference but you certainly don't wanna go less than 5" good luck!

Yeah I would recommend going for an oval over a round table 72"x42" would be ideal IMHO and I would also say a 6" rail is ideal but that's just my personal preference but you certainly don't wanna go less than 5" good luck!
Finishing up my 72x42 with a 5" rail this week. Will post pics. My first table was 72x48 with 6" rail and it did look too fat. This slightly smaller table should be better. I know I wanted a 72" length but fretted for awhile on choosing between 42 and 44.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom