First Poker Table Build - legs & upholstery question (2 Viewers)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for help with size. I went with 72 x 42 with a 5" rail.

Got my 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood today and cut out the two rail sections and sanded glued and screwed the rail (2 pieces) & the table surface and underside (2 pieces).

I have tried searching but have been unable to find answers to the following so I have a few questions for the pros please:

1. Installing legs. Any tips for installing legs level? I have measured but one of the mounting brackets is slightly bent making me question my measurements. They *look* right laying down on the underside of the table but I want to try to avoid the table wobbling at all cost. I have the Metalkraft overlapping legs. Any tips to install them level?

2. Volara width. Some seem to go full table width and Chanman's video seems to have the playing surface padding only cover the playing surface, not under the rail. Does that make for a tighter fit for the rail so cards don't slide under? Seems like that might require more precision to cut just right?

3. Where to staple speed cloth and do you use adhesive. I searched but didn't find anything definitive: where to staple? On the surface under the rail? on the side edge or under the table? Any good videos of stapling or tips for a wrinkle free application? Oh and do people use spray adhesive between the Volara and speed cloth? Chanman uses the adhesive between his padding and the custom cloth - not sure if this applies to normal speed cloth though.

4. Securing rail with T Nuts or not. Any disadvantages to a "floating" rail, meaning not securing it with T nuts? Seems like the weight of the rail would keep it in place. I cut with jigsaw so have a tight fit between rail and table. Might be easier to store as I wont be able to leave the table up permanently and it is HEAVY!!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Update. It is coming together. Legs on. Heavy as a mother with 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood and stable as a rock! Next step is routing the rail inside and outside top edges, sanding the flat rail edge, bolting the rail to the table and then it will be ready to paint the bottom black then foam, speed cloth & vinyl!

Planning to do volara to the rail only and then stapling speed cloth to the top surface only (under rail) like in the chanman video. I also plan to make "kickstands" a la chanman as this will be stored on its side when not in use.

Havent decided on T nuts or carriage bolts to secure the rail - need to ponder on that one!

Some progress pics. Man upholstering the rail was some project. I was wearing shorts and have blisters on both knees from the carpeting!
Had issues applying the volara: sprayed too close to the table, adhesive pooled and melted the foam, resulting in surface deformation visible on the top of the foam. Ripped it off, ordered another 3 yards and sanded off the adhesive. New volara arrives tomorrow and I will spray from a distance and let it dry so the acetone evaporates a bit before rolling the foam on.

Thanks! I used YAT Whisper Vinyl. I have a staple remover and just kept working it until it was how I wanted it. Taking out staples and re-stretching along the way. Took several hours but the end result looks good.

Man, upholstering the rail is a pain in the A$$!!!! By far the hardest part of the build, and it has the biggest impact on the overall table.

I just did mine last night, took me 3-4 hours & my hands are feeling it this morning. I've got some small wrinkles on the bottom of the rails, not ideal but I'll live with it b/c I'm not taking anymore stable out, I've taken so many out I'm cutting through the vinyl.

Here's my build thread I'm currently posting.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-argyle-poker-night-thread.43334/#post-810538

Man, upholstering the rail is a pain in the A$$!!!! By far the hardest part of the build, and it has the biggest impact on the overall table.

I just did mine last night, took me 3-4 hours & my hands are feeling it this morning. I've got some small wrinkles on the bottom of the rails, not ideal but I'll live with it b/c I'm not taking anymore stable out, I've taken so many out I'm cutting through the vinyl.

Here's my build thread I'm currently posting.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-argyle-poker-night-thread.43334/#post-810538

View attachment 303849

View attachment 303850
Looks great! So jealous of the shop space.

Was playing with my kids this weekend and the table felt a bit high - cut the legs 1.5" so that the playing surface is at 29". Seems better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom