First home game prep (1 Viewer)

Samjdii

Reaction score
Me and some guys have tried to play a couple games just calling people last minute and throwing it together. It hasn't really worked out great needless to say. The skill levels range from 20 year olds thinking a straight can "circle the deck" to 50 year olds that have played occasionally here and there. I want to try and get a legit game setup and see how it goes. Please add anything I'm missing, but here's what I think I'm looking for:

A list of rules to send out in advance and reference during play if need be - the biggest issue with the 2 games we've thrown together have been inconsistencies and disagreements with everything from when to burn cards during dealing to aces being used in a low straight).

Starting stacks and chip values - I have a 300 piece crap set that I'd like to use with 100 whites and 50 reds, greens, blues, and blacks. The first game we could only find 4 and the second game we had 6, but I'd like to shoot for 6-8 players. Generally we've done a $20 buy in which seems like a good sweet spot.

And game structure/blind progression - I've downloaded a couple of timers and just messed around, but I really don't know what I'm doing and just kinda want the thoughts of some smarter people.

I'm 22 and I've just played in an annual tournament when we visit family at Christmas. It's a pretty knowledgeable bunch and I've learned a lot, but I still just do the playing and don't know any of the actual hosting stuff. I've been trying to do some research and figure everything out, but any thoughts anybody wants to share would be a huge help.

It probably would help if you had specific questions. But from what i am reading out of your post, a general explanation/introduction of the game would help all players (how do straights work etc). And you need one guy that already knows the game, helps a lot. But let me know if you have any specific questions.

Assuming you want to play tourneys, just search for blind structure, plenty of helpful thrreads will pop up. It really depends on how long the game should last

It probably would help if you had specific questions. But from what i am reading out of your post, a general explanation/introduction of the game would help all players (how do straights work etc). And you need one guy that already knows the game, helps a lot. But let me know if you have any specific questions.
Is there a "WSOP official Holdem rulebook" for example or something that is already all inclusive to use as a reference? Most of them understand the basics for the most part, just need something to reference more than anything.

I've gotten on blind valet and it seems pretty comprehensive on setting up a timer and progression. How should I determine a starting stack? I'm not sure what constitutes a tournament, but we generally play until 1 person has all the chips. However, it would be nice to be able to cash out easily at any point.

I'm not sure what constitutes a tournament, but we generally play until 1 person has all the chips.
This is a tournament.
However, it would be nice to be able to cash out easily at any point.
This would be cashgame. The biggest differences are that the blinds don't increase, that you can buyin and cash out at any point, there are unlimited rebuys and that the value on the chips actually represents their cash value.

The main difference between cash and tournament, is as mentionned, in cashgame you can always stop and cash out. Every chip has real cash value ($1, $5, 25$ etc). The blinds stay the same, for example $1/$2. There is usually a buyin range, 50big blinds to 300big blinds for example.
In a tourney every player receives the same amount of chips for a pre set buyin, for example you receive 10k worth of chips for $20. If it is a no rebuy tourney, you can only play till you won or lost all of your chips. The payout is for example for a 10player tourney, the top two player receive cash, the others dont. I hope my english is understandable, sometimes i think it is getting worse ;)

Yeah, that's a good start! I'm reading https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...onger-considered-universal-poker-rules.70129/ about RRoP to try and get an idea for house rules and everything. I just want all my bases covered, cause these guys will make anything into a drama fest. Maybe I'll upgrade to some real players at some point, but I'm stuck with these yahoos for now.

For tournament chip breakdown and blinds etc, i can recommend this thread (some useful video links from a pcf member linked as well)
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/poker-night-breakdown-opinions.54035/#post-1030872
Actually I started at YouTube with his video lol. Came here when he mentioned it, and was just curious if there was a good way to do it using what I already have without making up random values. However, Beakertwang contacted me and offered to sell me a 300 piece set, so I might be getting a new set soon anyway.

The main difference between cash and tournament, is as mentionned, in cashgame you can always stop and cash out. Every chip has real cash value ($1, $5, 25$ etc). The blinds stay the same, for example $1/$2. There is usually a buyin range, 50big blinds to 300big blinds for example.
In a tourney every player receives the same amount of chips for a pre set buyin, for example you receive 10k worth of chips for $20. If it is a no rebuy tourney, you can only play till you won or lost all of your chips. The payout is for example for a 10player tourney, the top two player receive cash, the others dont. I hope my english is understandable, sometimes i think it is getting worse ;)
That makes sense.
I hear ya man...seems like the older I get the more I just use an ellipsis for every break and forget how to make a real sentence lol my English teacher would be so disappointed...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom