Tourney First hand final table (1 Viewer)

Bradley

High Hand
Reaction score
Did I play my QQ wrong?

I played in a local tournament. Freeze out. Deepstack. 30,000 start stack. 19 players.

We are 6hrs into the game and we just went to a 9 player final table.

We draw for seats and I get seat 9.

I sit down with 135,000.

I am 2nd in chips from looking at the stacks.

The blinds are 2000/4000.

Villain (chip leader) is UTG. Raises to 12,000 and its folded to me.

I look at QQ. I raise to 30,000. The blinds fold.

Villain tanks for about 45 seconds and shoves.

I snap call.

River brings an A.

Should I have just called the 12000?
Jammed first?

I'm leaning toward the jam even on the 12000 raise.

Thoughts?

Against the only player at the table who can bust you, I'm certainly not snap-calling his shove as the pre-flop raiser from early position.

I'm probably calling after thinking it through, but not really liking it. Seems -EV from a tourney pay-out perspective, unless my read on the UTG player is very loose and willing to gamble big with less-than-premium hands.

As far as your QQ pre-flop with position, I'm either flatting (20%) or raising to 36k-40k (80%). Never folding, but not making a smallish re-raise, either.

Villain had AK? or a weaker A?

Without any history with this villain, it's difficult to say if calling a 4-bet with QQ in position is the right play, but assuming you're not in the money, tangling with the only stack that can bust you seems like definitely the wrong play.

You have QQ and only 33bb. While you are tangling with the only person that can bust you, you just have to go with it after 3 betting. I don't like flatting and potentially taking the pot multiway against the blinds. Maybe if the blinds have stacks in the 12-20bb range and are prone to squeeze jam, I might call to induce. But as played, once you put a quarter of your stack at risk, folding QQ pre-flop seems terrible. I think some people get too caught up on ICM. Plus with a 19 person game, I imagine you aren't paying out more than 3-4 places at most. So since you aren't even in the money, the call seems even more a no brainer to me since you could potentially take a huge lead and nearly guarantee a cash.

I will caveat this all with the fact that a read on the UTG player could change this. If he would never shove anything other than AK, KK, AA, then you can fold.

relevant information are missing. Pay out structure? stakes of other players.

I guess the it is a fold ICM wise. There is a good example of a similar hand in colin moshman's sng book

-UTG raise should get respect...unless your read on UTG is pretty loose. A case could be made here to flat and see what he does on the flop. This is probably the only way you don't lose your stack here. Scenario would probably go C-bet/call flop, then check/bet/fold turn. But that's only because we know the A didnt come until the river.
-He's likely calling the shove from you preflop. Same outcome.
-Folding is completely out of the question here.
-The way you played it is pretty standard in my eye. In a tourney, I am playing to win the thing and not just make the money. That means, sometimes I have to win a coin flip or two. If you take this pot down, you are chip leader and can start to punish the table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom