First ever set! (2 Viewers)

I dont mean to defend @BGinGA or anybody else. I dont know him, but I tried to find where he went to far and I did not find anything. He did use the F* word after the 'fight' started. Anyways the point I want to make is Im sure that is the worse that happen in this post for @Camerasniper : this unnecessary attacks between two guys, not the advices he got. As a new member too, I do mistake too and like to be guided. but I hate when it starts fights for no reason... I feel guilty

fyi @Camerasniper I did not mean your purchase was a mistake! the set is pretty cool! I mean there is a mistake in denomination for an efficient game perspective

No need for you to feel guilty -- it's Ben's problem.

In the end, @Camerasniper made the classic "I want one of everything" mistakes. You see it all the time. It's still a mistake.

Perhaps a second set would be better. A tournament set allows more denominations to get into play. Oddly, some find it fun to switch between tournament and cash games. That $1.50 chip would then be useful, as it would make a sweet bounty for a $15 tournament.
Look, I’m relatively new too and mean no disrespect to @BGinGA ...but your post @BGinGA completely assumes that the OP is like you. What if the OP doesn’t care about anything you care about?

One of my most fun games is a limit game with my 8 and 10 year olds using slot tokens I got from @navels in a charity auction. They stack like shit, piles are knocked over at least 6-7 times per game...and everyone is happy.

I’m a volunteer firefighter and since I’m the only one who can’t afford anything better than dice chips, my Starburst Set is what we play with. Usually as traditional denominations (divided by 100) but sometimes as anything but normal just for fun!

Game efficiency is not always the goal. A lot of people play poker for fun. Please let us not forget that!!!! @Camerasniper — those chips are awesome...enjoy them!
PCF is an excellent website for advice. What would we be if we just patted everyone on the back and said "Good Job"? Mistakes are just that - mistakes. Can you have fun? Sure! I don't think that @BGinGA is suggesting otherwise. What he is doing is helping the OP, and other potential first time buyers. Imagine this: Person looking to buy their first set of chips comes to PCF. A quick search comes up with "First Ever Set" thread. Wanders in, and everyone says how great the odd denominations are. He then buys an identical breakdown. BG's comments at least give our next first set buyer pause. He points out the errors, and the next buyer gets to make the decision - an informed decision.

I'm a career firefighter, which is a fancy way of saying I will always be broke. Some of BG's advice would have been astonishingly welcome when I was building my first sets. It would have saved me enough money to buy yet another set.

Efficiency isn't the goal. It's efficient. Kinda the point. If, for the same money, the OP could buy an Aston Martin or or a Scion (assuming all costs, including insurance and gas), wouldn't you steer them toward the Aston? Sure, they will both get you to your destination, but one is better. The Scion may have one or two advantages (it comes in more colors), but it's not better.

Not trying to jump into a flame war, but c'mon... let's give out proper advice, not just participation ribbons.

OP the DDLM chips you have are popular on this site, and the vendor BR Pro is a suporting vendor here. They are having a black friday sale if youo sign up to get their emails thy ahve some codes for a nice black friday sales.

Everybody posts thesetournament start stacks with 5 denoms, planning for a 6th color up, and it’s no problem. 6 denoms is nonstandard for a cash game, but the game is certainly playable

Enjoy your chips!

Let's not forget who started all this: You see now what happens, @Camerasniper, when you choose a non-standard breakdown!? You've turned friends into enemies, you've unleashed yet another PCF flame war!

@Camerasniper ...and one final feedback, don't EVER mention Hot Dogs and Sandwiches.

@Camerasniper ...and one final feedback, don't EVER mention Hot Dogs and Sandwiches.

picS3jBr1.jpg

I really hope @BGinGA never sees my chip set with 1-2-3-5-10-20-25-50-100 progression. We all buy in for $216 and get 1 of each chip.
A simple haha emoji does not do this comment justice. That was funny..... laughed out loud. At our game we tip for really funny jokes made at the table. $1 in the bank! Haha.

Not a prime number, just sayin' :cool
I think it used to be though, but the definition can changed.
The standard definition of a prime number is "a number which can be divided evenly by only itself and 1", so 1 definitely qualifies.

Old fart math rules! :cool

Not this wishy-washy quibbling:

"The confusion begins with this definition a person might give of “prime”: a prime number is a positive whole number that is only divisible by 1 and itself. The number 1 is divisible by 1, and it’s divisible by itself. But itself and 1 are not two distinct factors. Is 1 prime or not? When I write the definition of prime in an article, I try to remove that ambiguity by saying a prime number has exactly two distinct factors, 1 and itself, or that a prime is a whole number greater than 1 that is only divisible by 1 and itself. But why go to those lengths to exclude 1?

My mathematical training taught me that the good reason for 1 not being considered prime is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every number can be written as a product of primes in exactly one way. If 1 were prime, we would lose that uniqueness. We could write 2 as 1×2, or 1×1×2, or 1594827×2. Excluding 1 from the primes smooths that out."

If he wants a smoothie, let him buy a blender.

The standard definition of a prime number is "a number which can be divided evenly by only itself and 1", so 1 definitely qualifies.

Sometime in the days of yore they added the "...that is greater than 1" :)

And please don't quote me until after I've edited my typos! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Still want to see pics!

Not this wishy-washy quibbling:

"The confusion begins with this definition a person might give of “prime”: a prime number is a positive whole number that is only divisible by 1 and itself. The number 1 is divisible by 1, and it’s divisible by itself. But itself and 1 are not two distinct factors. Is 1 prime or not? When I write the definition of prime in an article, I try to remove that ambiguity by saying a prime number has exactly two distinct factors, 1 and itself, or that a prime is a whole number greater than 1 that is only divisible by 1 and itself. But why go to those lengths to exclude 1?

My mathematical training taught me that the good reason for 1 not being considered prime is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every number can be written as a product of primes in exactly one way. If 1 were prime, we would lose that uniqueness. We could write 2 as 1×2, or 1×1×2, or 1594827×2. Excluding 1 from the primes smooths that out."

If he wants a smoothie, let him buy a blender.
1605289416726.jpeg

My advice is hit me up I’ll hook u up with a fat set for practically free. Welcome to the forum, and Tks for keeping poker alive. I might not have a bunch of nickels anywhere but hopefully u guys level up one day... =)

Let's not forget who started all this: You see now what happens, @Camerasniper, when you choose a non-standard breakdown!? You've turned friends into enemies, you've unleashed yet another PCF flame war!

Btw, I'm thinking about a tourney set with only prime number denoms, any feedback, criticisms, or advice are welcome.
Love the idea, looking at a 12 1/2 cent chip myself, with 50 cent, $2, $10, and $50.

Variety is the spice of life, but I wouldn't want it to be my only set.

Cool chips, definitely a big upgrade from dice chips (and nicer than my post-dice-chips set years ago).

I share a lot of the critical sentiment you've see throughout this thread about the denominations. It's usually best to make sure you have a gap of 3x or more between denominations; those in-between ones end up being extraneous and inefficient. You would probably be served better by greater quantities of fewer denominations.

That said, you could make uses for them, like running a $0.05/0.10 game that only uses the $0.05, $0.25, and $1 (and maybe $5) chips, but occasionally running a $0.10/0.20 or $0.20/0.40 game that uses the $0.10, $0.50, $1.50, and $5 chips. Or you could go totally nutty and load up on $1.50 chips to run a $1.50/3 (or $3/6 or $4.50/9!) limit game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom