First ever set! (4 Viewers)

Camerasniper

Waiting List
Reaction score
Well, I guess if you count the dice chip set that was gifted to me when I was in middle school then I guess this would technically be my second set. My friends and I are in our young/mid 20s and have been getting really into poker in recent months (micro stakes cash games) and I decided we needed an upgrade from the dice chips so I went to the guys at brpropoker.com and got these semi-custom chips. Don't worry, I ordered a sample set first!

In the pictures laid out I have chips for an 8 person game ($15 buy in) plus rebuys, and I also grabbed some $5 denominations so we can get even some more buy ins if need be. I know it might be somewhat unconventional to have so many different denominations for a cash game set, but I really love the design on these chips and I know my boys will too! Maybe down the road if we decide to raise the stakes I'll wind up buying more $5 chips or adding some of the additional designs for higher denoms that they offer at br pro that I haven't used in this set.

Any feedback, criticisms, or advice are welcome, the first 8 person game is tomorrow so we'll see how they perform!

Attachments

• PXL_20201112_065551407.jpg
    PXL_20201112_065551407.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 621
  • PXL_20201112_065707010.jpg
    PXL_20201112_065707010.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 559
Honestly, I am looking at your chip denoms here. With nickel chips you don't have a use for dime chips. With quarter chips you have no use for .50 chips. There is never a use for 1.50 chips. A nice set of nickels, quarters, dollars, and 5s will easily handle a $15 dollar buy in poker night. The other denominations are just causes for headaches as you constantly make change for them all night long.

On the plus side, I love ceramics and DDLM chips go over well here at PCF

Congrats on the upgrade, DDLM are awesome! I understand the want for more denoms and colors but personally I would have skipped the dime, the 50c and the $1.5 and rather have gone with some future proofing denoms like 20 (or 25s) and 100s. But to each their own, beautiful set nonetheless!

*nods head, says:

I completely understand that you want more colors on the table, since these chips are stunning!

With this many denominations, the stacks will not be as tall (since the value is spread over more stacks), and you'll most likely be betting with fewer chips (for e.g. 1×10c +1×5c instead of 3×5c), but those are trade ofs for getting moar colors into play.

you constantly make change for them all night long.
Not quite sure I follow. In my experience, having more denoms requires less change making. When having more denoms, running out if a certain denom doesn't necessarily require you to make change, as it usually does when having standardized denoms. At least from my experience... But it totally depends on the breakdown of course.

Personally I would have gone with fewer colors because I love tall stacks, but I get why you went that route.

Regarding the $1.50, it's always cool with strange denoms! Like $13 etc... Just beware of dirty stacks between the red and pink.

Okay, can't hold back any longer.

Having many chip denominations in play is very inefficient from a game play perspective. It makes evaluating player stack sizes more difficult, it makes counting pots more difficult, and it makes constructing bets more difficult.

These difficulties are amplified if the chips have non-standard colors or non-standard denomination amounts. Amounts that are not clearly and easily readable make it even worse.

All of this requires time to (needlessly) process, and simply results in more time wasted than necessary when dealing with mundane tasks -- something that chips are supposed to make easier, not more difficult. A colorful pot with lots of denoms looks great in pictures, but plays much worse in real-world conditions.

It's one thing to intentionally use different denominations for different game conditions (i.e., 5c-25c-$1 for some games, and 10c-50c-$1.50 for others), but having them all in play at one time is just amateur-hour weaksauce.

no worries it is normal to make mistakes... I mean the denominations... we all did (or most of us), you just need to correct and you'll be fine. Now the problem is you have non-standard denominations which will be hard to sell... you can keep only the non-standard and sell the other ones... so keeping 10c, 50c, 1.50$ and 5$ but it won't be optimal to tell you the truth... usually you try to have x5 or x4 between each denom... can somebody propose better solutions? I'm still relatively noob. Denominations aside, great set! congrats!

Okay, can't hold back any longer.

Having many chip denominations in play is very inefficient from a game play perspective. It makes evaluating player stack sizes more difficult, it makes counting pots more difficult, and it makes constructing bets more difficult.

These difficulties are amplified if the chips have non-standard colors or non-standard denomination amounts. Amounts that are not clearly and easily readable make it even worse.

All of this requires time to (needlessly) process, and simply results in more time wasted than necessary when dealing with mundane tasks -- something that chips are supposed to make easier, not more difficult. A colorful pot with lots of denoms looks great in pictures, but plays much worse in real-world conditions.

It's one thing to intentionally use different denominations for different game conditions (i.e., 5c-25c-$1 for some games, and 10c-50c-$1.50 for others), but having them all in play at one time is just amateur-hour weaksauce.
But.....colors!!

To keep it serious, splitting up the set in 5c, 25c, $1 and 10c, 50c, $1 (both of which can use the $5) is a good idea. That way you get all colors, just not at once.

I have done that in my tournament set. I have 25, 100, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10000, 25000. 25-500 are always in use, I think y'all can figure out the rest. :)
I actually got the idea from when @BGinGA jokingly suggested it in a thread.

Any feedback, criticisms, or advice are welcome, the first 8 person game is tomorrow so we'll see how they perform!
First, enjoy your chips and your game. In terms of "priorities" to improve.
1) The feedback about number of denominations in play is spot on. It will slow down the play. However, it will be excellent math practice.
2) The issue of non-standard colors is a preference but not a huge deal, IF you can limit the number of denominations in play.
3) The extra denominations are not the end of the world, just keep out 2 or 3 depending on what stakes you are playing.

For example, you could play a low stakes game using only the nickels, quarters, dollars and $5.

Regardless, it is all playable, just not efficient if you put them all in play at the same time.

Love the DDLM chips. Agree with other recommendations to reduce the denominations. At the end of the day you do you. Bear in mind most of us are a lot older and did the same thing you are doing decades ago. Then we learned why it was suboptimal and adjusted.

the $1.50 chip did make me lol fwiw.

I think the saying goes...there are two ways to do anything:
1. The right way
2. Again

Choose wisely. ;)

welcome and enjoy

I am still new around here myself and my thoughts on your set are, they are perfect for you right now, like one of the posters said above me, we all started and learned a few things here and there, but in the end nothing any of us say makes a difference t you and your game
you want to have a ton of different chips and your group like that, then stick with that plan

I personally like the $1.50 chip, one of my sets is a .05/25/50/1.00/1.50/5 set
we use the $1.50 chip as the dealer ante in our dealers choice games, the dealer in a lot of our games is the only one that antes so that 1 chip makes it easy

Again best advice................You do You and what is best for your Game

Enjoy and get ready to be in awe and want every set you see up for sale......

Absolutely, this is all meant to be constructive feedback.

We first started playing small STT games with $1, $5, $10, $25, $50, $100 all in play at the same time thinking it was just easy to start everyone with about 10 chips of each denomination, except the hundreds so we had about $1K stacks. Worse, they were all just non-denominated dice chips with a sheet posted about what value each one had. I didn't know anything about how to raise blinds, coloring up, or how to make a game finish at a certain time. Thankfully this did not last long and sometime later we found website references to help structure our games more efficiently.

You will actually find this a bit easier with cash games.

As a general rule, I believe more chips on the table, and in front of me, the better. It’s a form of intimidation.
With that said, I echo the concerns of others. My micro stakes set is .05, .25, 1.00, and 5.00, anything else and it’s getting weird and complicated. Imagine trying to split a pot when one guy threw in a 1.50 chip? You’d have to make change and like others pointed out that’s just creating drag and slowing the game down. I need to get as many hands in as possible so I can whine about variance.

This is where I would hope a vendor would have reached out and offered assistance or at least an opinion on denoms. I know the customer is always right and love the chips and colors but as far as gameplay I can see BG’s point. Good luck, I’m sure your players will enjoy the upgrade.

no worries it is normal to make mistakes... I mean the denominations... we all did (or most of us), you just need to correct and you'll be fine. Now the problem is you have non-standard denominations which will be hard to sell... you can keep only the non-standard and sell the other ones... so keeping 10c, 50c, 1.50$ and 5$ but it won't be optimal to tell you the truth... usually you try to have x5 or x4 between each denom... can somebody propose better solutions? I'm still relatively noob. Denominations aside, great set! congrats!

It's not the end of the world. At least he didn't get 2000 of the things. They are cool chips. Easy fix to your set is to sell sample sets. I'm sure there will be takers. Then you can reset and buy more of the denominations you need. Put them in play and figure you what you want to keep and which you want to sell. Keep for full sample set for yourself, frame them, and put them up on your wall so have a nice display and can lol down the road at your original choices.

I really hope @BGinGA never sees my chip set with 1-2-3-5-10-20-25-50-100 progression. We all buy in for $216 and get 1 of each chip.
Look, I’m relatively new too and mean no disrespect to @BGinGA ...but your post @BGinGA completely assumes that the OP is like you. What if the OP doesn’t care about anything you care about?

One of my most fun games is a limit game with my 8 and 10 year olds using slot tokens I got from @navels in a charity auction. They stack like shit, piles are knocked over at least 6-7 times per game...and everyone is happy.

I’m a volunteer firefighter and since I’m the only one who can’t afford anything better than dice chips, my Starburst Set is what we play with. Usually as traditional denominations (divided by 100) but sometimes as anything but normal just for fun!

Game efficiency is not always the goal. A lot of people play poker for fun. Please let us not forget that!!!! @Camerasniper — those chips are awesome...enjoy them!

I agree with the others you don;t need a .10, ,50, or 1.50 when you have .05, .25, 1, and 5

My first custom set I had 50's made and they never see the table, it's ok you lve and you learn. Now going forward you won't make the same mistake no big deal.

I am only a year and a half in... I disagree with most here and don't care what they say!! Build your set the way you like it!! I love more denoms on the table! Yes it takes a little longer counting pots for split pot games, who cares!!

Remember the most important thing here folks! This is a social cash game for freaking pennies!

Let's roast a new member about his choices. The only time that time itself is of the essence is when you are playing against the clock in tournament play. Then yes less denoms and more chips to keep change making to a minimum.

But oh that's right... many here say that 8/8/6/6 starting stacks are fine for tournament play... it sucks! By the third or fourth hand every single time people are already making change... this continues the rest of the game from this point!

I say pave your own road sir! Most of all have fun!! If you love chips and want awesome colors in play... then do it!!

Here's mine and its over $3000 in chips!! Maybe not, maybe I over paid... don't give 2 shits of anyone's opinion! I absolutely love them!
20200809_130434.jpg

Guess what every damn denom is going to be played. My starting stacks are lots of chips and lots of fun for my non professional friends! Guess what even the edge spot progression is terrible and yet again... I don't care!

20/20/12/20/1 for a $20 buy in... don't like it... don't play!

Be proud @Camerasniper! You have bought a set that you and your friends can use for years to come!! Enjoy

Look, I’m relatively new too and mean no disrespect to @BGinGA ...but your post @BGinGA completely assumes that the OP is like you. What if the OP doesn’t care about anything you care about?

One of my most fun games is a limit game with my 8 and 10 year olds using slot tokens I got from @navels in a charity auction. They stack like shit, piles are knocked over at least 6-7 times per game...and everyone is happy.

I’m a volunteer firefighter and since I’m the only one who can’t afford anything better than dice chips, my Starburst Set is what we play with. Usually as traditional denominations (divided by 100) but sometimes as anything but normal just for fun!

Game efficiency is not always the goal. A lot of people play poker for fun. Please let us not forget that!!!! @Camerasniper — those chips are awesome...enjoy them!
I am only a year and a half in... I disagree with most here and don't care what they say!! Build your set the way you like it!! I love more denoms on the table! Yes it takes a little longer counting pots for split pot games, who cares!!

Remember the most important thing here folks! This is a social cash game for freaking pennies!

Let's roast a new member about his choices. The only time that time itself is of the essence is when you are playing against the clock in tournament play. Then yes less denoms and more chips to keep change making to a minimum.

But oh that's right... many here say that 8/8/6/6 starting stacks are fine for tournament play... it sucks! By the third or fourth hand every single time people are already making change... this continues the rest of the game from this point!

I say pave your own road sir! Most of all have fun!! If you love chips and want awesome colors in play... then do it!!

Here's mine and its over $3000 in chips!! Maybe not, maybe I over paid... don't give 2 shits of anyone's opinion! I absolutely love them!
View attachment 572941
Guess what every damn denom is going to be played. My starting stacks are lots of chips and lots of fun for my non professional friends! Guess what even the edge spot progression is terrible and yet again... I don't care!

20/20/12/20/1 for a $20 buy in... don't like it... don't play!

Be proud @Camerasniper! You have bought a set that you and your friends can use for years to come!! Enjoy

Maybe you two missed this part of his post:
Any feedback, criticisms, or advice are welcome
He asked for, and he received -- from a number of people, with no malice. Get off your fucking white horses.

Maybe you two missed this part of his post:

He asked for, and he received -- from a number of people, with no malice. Get off your fucking white horses.
Report coming brother! As you so did to Brie yesterday. That is absolutely not needed or called for but as usual it's you Dave picking on the new guys!! Don't worry as with all veteran members you may get a slap on the wrist but I doubt it!

Sorry I choose to be nice, positive and inviting to grow the hobby... not grumpy and try to run people away!!

Yes I did read the post! Also that he knew people wouldn't like his denoms or break down and what is the only thing all of you are harping on... one of the aspects that he said he liked about his set!

Maybe you should consider rereading the OP as well sir!

High Horse? I have repeatedly watched this community allow people like you pick on and put down new members, at time get down right nasty.

Need an example? A few months back a member asked what kind of paulsons are these. They where Paulson Calssics... maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but to a new member definitely a cadilac Vs. Dice chips... your single and only response... The worst Kind!!

How would you feel logging back in and seeing that crap from one the the sites largest contributors??

I will not change who I am to please you Dave! Members here love me and love my content so please block me if you have nothing even remotely kind to say when referencing me or my amazing significant other!

Ben

Whoa whoa whoa.... Paulson Classics are “the worst kind?” I thought that was RHCs. Everyone always seems down on those. Which is cool for me, it keeps the prices down.

That is cursing but not directed at any individual, it was used as an open statement... not the same thing buddy.

But good try!
You are clearly not comprehending.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom