First Custom Chip Set - CPC Experience Needed! (1 Viewer)

I saw a picture of white based chip with chocolate spots and over time the chocolate spots had "rubbed" off onto the white, making it look dirty. Is this common?
More common with Paulsons and not so much with CPC's. I have two custom CPC sets and they've had zero issues with colour transfer... dirt from use yes, but not colour transfer. As for my Paulsons, just looking at them gets them dirty.

Unless you are willing to spend an exorbitant amount of money for this service the answer is CPC will not do this. They will send you a scanned image but that's about it... not very helpful as looking at the image on your screen in RGB differs from printed materials in CMYK. Even if you print the image, your ink and paper differs from CPC's. The other thing you need to consider is that the colours in your inlay will darken once they are heat pressed into the chip, so precise colour matching with CPC is very difficult.

Thanks, this was very helpful... So I'll either need to go with a consistent inlay image across all chips, or roll the dice and learn to live with a slight difference in color between the body of the chip and the center logo on the inlay.

Here's round 4... I decided to scrap the shaped inlays because they will draw extra attention to inlays that are off-center.

More common with Paulsons and not so much with CPC's. I have two custom CPC sets and they've had zero issues with colour transfer... dirt from use yes, but not colour transfer. As for my Paulsons, just looking at them gets them dirty.

Thanks, good to know =)

Damn I miss BCC but you should be happy that you can’t order from them in one sense. You could spend thousands of dollars and get “shaped” inlays for free, that is if you like egg shaped inlays

Their QC was VERY hit and miss

Damn I miss BCC but you should be happy that you can’t order from them in one sense. You could spend thousands of dollars and get “shaped” inlays for free, that is if you like egg shaped inlays

Their QC was VERY hit and miss

Ha, the exact scenario that I'm looking to avoid ;)

The biggest piece of advice I could give is to ensure you download the design template best suited for your software. EPS, Illustrator, ect..
On it you will find the various constraints. Your newest art looks close to being within tolerance but it's best to use their template to be sure. All text and denoms have to be within a specific boundary.
As they have different inlay sizes you may also find using a larger inlay also means you'll need to use a different mold.
Nail down the placements and constraints before moving forward. It sucks getting something you really like only to get pissed off because when at scale the text isn't legible or you find out it has to be smaller to fit within the boundary.

Steve/Quick.

The biggest piece of advice I could give is to ensure you download the design template best suited for your software. EPS, Illustrator, ect..
On it you will find the various constraints. Your newest art looks close to being within tolerance but it's best to use their template to be sure. All text and denoms have to be within a specific boundary.
As they have different inlay sizes you may also find using a larger inlay also means you'll need to use a different mold.
Nail down the placements and constraints before moving forward. It sucks getting something you really like only to get pissed off because when at scale the text isn't legible or you find out it has to be smaller to fit within the boundary.

Steve/Quick.

Yes, I've been using the templates in Photoshop. My text on top is slightly covered by the red circle, but does not show up beyond it. I'll run it by @David Spragg at some point to see if it's ok.

Yes, I've been using the templates in Photoshop. My text on top is slightly covered by the red circle, but does not show up beyond it. I'll run it by @David Spragg at some point to see if it's ok.

View attachment 302949
You can even take the lines down a bit in thickness. So long as your text isn't sticking out beyond you're golden. Looks good. :tup:

You know that you can also do a faux-shaped inlay. As long as the background colour of your inlay is different from the base colour of the chip (and your art/text fits within the "faux" part), then you can have fun with inlays that look shaped but are actually round (and therefore not as expensive).

You know that you can also do a faux-shaped inlay. As long as the background colour of your inlay is different from the base colour of the chip (and your art/text fits within the "faux" part), then you can have fun with inlays that look shaped but are actually round (and therefore not as expensive).
Thanks, I considered this approach, but then decided against it because I already have some Paulson's like that and I either wanted the real deal or just go with a solid circle. I'm leaning towards a solid circle at this point.

IMHO, not enough contrast between some of the edge spots and the base chip colours. Would you consider:

1) going with something "bluer" for the $1 chip? Prevents dirty stacks with the $100. And change the Charcoal to something lighter, like Grey or White
2) change the Red spots on the $5 to something more "orangey"?
3) change the Retro Green spots on the $25 to something more "yellowy"?
4) change the Lavender spots on the $500 to something more "red"?

I actually preferred your brighter lineup, though this one is nice too and there are lots of monotone sets to take inspiration from.

I agree that a grey $1 and black hundo will be an issue. I'm not sure on your spot progression either.

I cobbled this together to give you my thoughts/suggestions visually, rather than try to verbose them
Screenshot_20190628_113042.jpg

Dont rush into this. Honestly, I spent two years developing my current custom fat tire set. Some of that was funding, but it allowed me to revise, sit on a concept, then revise again. Many ideas I thought were great at first glance were vastly improved upon reflection. Be open to change and take your time. Build the set like it’ll be your last... but it probably won’t be.

@allforcharity: I tried looking at the different color combinations that you mentioned, but I'm still partial towards staying in the mono-chromatic pallet. Thanks for mentioning it though, I hadn't looked at your suggested combinations until today.

@Perthmike: Regarding the 1s vs. 100s... I don't do tournaments, so they will almost never be on the table at the same time. This set will service 2 cash games: a $1/$1 game (1s, 5s, 25s) and a $5/$5 game (5s, 25s, 100s). I see how you did the spot "groupings", increasing on each chip. I may rethink the spot designs on the 500 and 1000 if I can find a design I like that isn't too expensive.

With regard to the spots on Round #6, I saw them progressing as follows:

Number of Spots: 4, 6, 6, 8, 8, 8
Spot Design Level: 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4
Spot Positioning: On top, Side-By-Side, Separated, On Top, Side-By-Side, Separated

Going to take a break from it and let it percolate for awhile in my brain while I look at some of the other monochrome chip set pictures.

Thanks for the help!

One other question:
David Spragg said that he doesn't have any Diamond Square orders right now, and it would take a total of 1500 chips to put it in the rotation. I plan to post a wanted classified to see if there are any others who want to put their orders in with me. When I do that, can I use the term "Group Buy"? Or is that term reserved for a group where everyone is purchasing the same chips? Maybe I should say "Custom Group Buy"?

Help with the wording would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
I actually preferred your brighter lineup.

Same here to be honest. Don't know why but I always associate monochrome sets with tourney sets like Bubb's and Riverboat.

One other question:
David Spragg said that he doesn't have any Diamond Square orders right now, and it would take a total of 1500 chips to put it in the rotation. I plan to post a wanted classified to see if there are any others who want to put their orders in with me. When I do that, can I use the term "Group Buy"? Or is that term reserved for a group where everyone is purchasing the same chips? Maybe I should say "Custom Group Buy"?

Help with the wording would be appreciated, thanks!

I don't think there's anything noted in the terms of service regarding group buys, someone else may correct me but I'd say call it what you want.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom