First Ceramic Design - Ideas, thoughts and feedback very much appreciated! (1 Viewer)

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.
You probably were clear as day, I guess the problem is at my end at 3 a.m..
However, looking at the design of @nuclearmonkey they don't seem to have one design per chip or do I just need to look at it again with a new set of eyes tomorrow..?

You probably were clear as day, I guess the problem is at my end at 3 a.m..
However, looking at the design of @nuclearmonkey they don't seem to have one design per chip or do I just need to look at it again with a new set of eyes tomorrow..?
there is multiple designs per chip. he has gone nuclear with his design options!

Hmmm. I think you may have misinterpreted the rolling edge capabilities. Let's dial it back one notch.

Right now, as you have it, you have 4-5 separate rolling edges, which is not efficient and potentially very expensive. I don't think you want 4-5 separate chips for each denomination.

First, divide your dog head graphic into 4 parts, top to bottom. We'll call the parts A B C and D.
Second, let's designate the denomination. I'll use the # sign (with the # changing based on the chip denom, of course)

One rolling edge template will look like this: A # B # C # D #
Eight elements (4 graphic, 4 number) spaced evenly on the template. Every chip of each denom has the same rolling edge. When you stack them right, you will see four full height complete graphics that are offset by 1 chip height as you rotate the stack.

See?

Am I doing it right?
1631068109647.png

Thanks for the guidance!! @allforcharity @davislane

Could that be manufacturer-specific, and btw how much did you pay for your custom set?

Design-wise, what should be the next step?
Mine are made by BrPro and they were super helpful. They have 25 minimum per design, but said the rolling edge differences didn't count toward that (but I ordered well over the minimums anyway, so maybe that was it). I spent $780 for 1000 chips.

Mine are made by BrPro and they were super helpful. They have 25 minimum per design, but said the rolling edge differences didn't count toward that (but I ordered well over the minimums anyway, so maybe that was it). I spent $780 for 1000 chips.
That sounds like a reasonable price to me.
However with the shipping costs plus VAT I googled that a set of 500 chips is closer to 700-800€ from USA delivered to Finland, that is around $850-950..

Didn't expect this interesting, innocent looking thing as poker chips to be such a slippery slope..

That sounds like a reasonable price to me.
However with the shipping costs plus VAT I googled that a set of 500 chips is closer to 700-800€ from USA delivered to Finland, that is around $850-950..

Didn't expect this interesting, innocent looking thing as poker chips to be such a slippery slope..
... but it is. I started out saying I would only spend about $400. Then I realized 500 chips doesn't actually play well with a full ring, so I need more like 600 chips. Then I wanted a purple and an orange chip too, and with minimum orders, I was at 650; ... but wait, I also need extras in case a some get lost or broken, so all of sudden I *need* over 700 chips. And at that point, I'm close enough to 1000 chips that buying the extra 300 actually saves me money because I'm getting the 1000 chip discount.

... but it is. I started out saying I would only spend about $400. Then I realized 500 chips doesn't actually play well with a full ring, so I need more like 600 chips. Then I wanted a purple and an orange chip too, and with minimum orders, I was at 650; ... but wait, I also need extras in case a some get lost or broken, so all of sudden I *need* over 700 chips. And at that point, I'm close enough to 1000 chips that buying the extra 300 actually saves me money because I'm getting the 1000 chip discount.
dont need long here to realize this stuff is dead serious..

here is the export now btw, what do ya think should something be modified or is next step getting some samples?

signal-2021-09-08-091912.png

Unless you are married to it, maybe change ”the” to an adjective. For example I own a cd by a group called Sketchy Black Dog.

Unless you are married to it, maybe change ”the” to an adjective. For example I own a cd by a group called Sketchy Black Dog.
Hmm, something definitely to consider but he is "the" black dog, I'm having a hard time figuring out something that would be as personal to me as that.
A great suggestion anyway, because I never even thought of that, it was "clear" to me already so atleast it got me thinking of a change.

I was wondering if there's something to consider from a purely design standpoint as was with the rolling edge stuff which I had no idea about. I'm thinking if there are more similar secrets to discover?

If The Black Dog feels right to you, then of course go with it. From a purely design point of view, I don’t think it matters at all.

Look what the dog dragged in.

First impression very nice.
Yellow came out more as desert/tan-ish, but it's still nice.

decent contrast among chips, only stacks of black can be a bit difficult to count.

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_180443.jpg
    IMG_20211013_180443.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20211013_180355.jpg
    IMG_20211013_180355.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20211013_180308.jpg
    IMG_20211013_180308.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20211013_175615.jpg
    IMG_20211013_175615.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20211013_175500.jpg
    IMG_20211013_175500.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20211013_182745.jpg
    IMG_20211013_182745.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 109
Hello,

Second post on PCF, let's up some content. This is my first attempt at making something in Inkscape, after a few refreshing beverages I got it done.
I was about to order ceramics with the logo in the middle and a premade "chip layout", the EPT one, but in the end it did not feel personal enough
I got samples, lurking this forum was definitely worth it
The logo is simply drawn over on a photo of my dog, the dog is black and his official name is PORTLAND OR, so that's where the text comes from.

View attachment 771194

Any thoughts on colors? Thoughts in general?
I was thinking trying to get a set of these to a breakdown recommended by the chip picker in resources section.
I guess it's possible to print the whole chip if it's ceramic?
Wicked design

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom