First attempt at a semi-custom set... (2 Viewers)

longflop

Flush
Reaction score
Reading posts from everyone else planted a seed in my head where I wanted to take a shot at a semi-custom cash set. While reading the post about who is selling CC blanks, I stumbled upon the spirit mold chips from chipsandgames.com that were selling for .07 per chip. They had 4 colors of solid blanks, I have always liked the look of solid chips, so I pulled the trigger and ordered 100 green (will be $.25's), 150 red ($1's), 100 grey ($5's) and 50 blue ($25's). Including shipping it was $41 for 400 chips, not too bad.

Well, this box showed up today.

I was pretty excited so I tore into it, carefully

good pack job from chipsandgames. once I got through the bubble wrap all the chips were there

I had heard that they were fragile, so I got them out of the box, so far so good.

and unwrapped

They looked to be relatively consistant in height

And you will notice that one stack of the blues is a bit shorter than the others. Well batting 1.000 just wouldn't be fair with this kind of deal. A couple guys didn't make it.

All in all, I'm happy so far. I want to give them a wipe with a wet rag, but I'm not going to get to that tonight. I've reached out to @Gear about putting some labels together, so hopefully we can get that going soon, I know he couldn't come more highly recommended. Not sure about ideas for the lables. I'm not an art guy so the only two ideas that are popping into my head right now are "The basement poker club (or room)" or "Coach's Poker Club (or room)". I coach all of the guys kids in the local soccer, hockey, basketball and lacrosse leagues. If anybody has any ideas on art for that, I'm all ears. Once I get the labels on, I'll give them a good oiling.

Also, what some guys have said in previous posts about the spirit molds, that they have been sitting around for 10 years and are very fragile. I think that may be true. I took one of the chipped ones and was able to snap it in half with my fingers very easily. I wonder if the oil will get some moisture back in there and help the situation.

Coach's Room sounds good and perhaps you could put a little image of each of the sports you listed on each denom; a soccer ball; crossed hockey sticks; a basketball; and, crossed lacrosse sticks.

How are the edges on the chips - sharp or bevelled?

Good luck :)

Would you mind measuring a stack of 20? I'm considering asking someone to re-ship 150 of the grey ones to me (they don't ship outside of the US, unfortunately), but I'd like to know first if they are closer to 67-68mm, as opposed to the thicker ones I have that are 70mm in a stack of 20.

Also, forgot to add a picture of the mold. This is as good as I could do with my terrible phone.
20180316_212248.jpg
20180316_212240.jpg

Coach's Room sounds good and perhaps you could put a little image of each of the sports you listed on each denom; a soccer ball; crossed hockey sticks; a basketball; and, crossed lacrosse sticks.

How are the edges on the chips - sharp or bevelled?

Good luck :)
I would say sharpish to sharp. Not beveled.

Would you mind measuring a stack of 20? I'm considering asking someone to re-ship 150 of the grey ones to me (they don't ship outside of the US, unfortunately), but I'd like to know first if they are closer to 67-68mm, as opposed to the thicker ones I have that are 70mm in a stack of 20.
This is embarrassing, but I can't find anything in my house to measure mm's. I'm all inches.

With those colours and condition, I would consider a vintage-style inlay - sort of 1930s/40s sports era type font and images etc...

ask and ye shall receive.

20180317_103508.jpg

I think something in this kind of style would look amazing. With a different sport on each chip denomination, as you mentioned, it would result in a really interesting chip set overall.
I like the Spaldings font 1st, guide font 2nd and baseball font 3rd. My worry is that putting the sports equipment on each chip make make it look hokey.

Got my first version of the art from @Gear and I like it a lot.

Capture.PNG

I want to see it inverted with black words on a white background. I feel like because the mold is not that wide, that would make the colors of the chip stand out a bit more. My other concern is the Grey $5 getting lost on a white background, but maybe I'm getting in my own head about that one.

Anyway, any thoughts?

I personally think the white background w/ black text stands out more.

Have you considered using the same colour across all denominations?

Tilt your players. Have the black background on one side, white background on the other! :LOL: :laugh:

Seriously, though, I prefer the black background. Basements are supposed to be dark and creepy. Except all of ours.

I hesitaye to recommend a black inlay because I personally dislike them. But I would suggest that you either do more with the white inlay (a border, some background texture, some kind of logo - anything) or else if you’re gonna keep it that simple, go with the black ones.

I'm still in process of finalizing the labels with @Gear and I got bored, so I took a wet rag and wiped all the factory gunk off the chips. They brightened up quite a bit, so once I get the labels on and oil them, i think the colors will really come through.
20180327_223310.jpg

that green chip is not broken, the paper towel tented up on me. That's a big difference from the earlier pictures and that's just water and a rag. Also, the guys at Chipsandgames.com were great, I told them about the blues that broke and they replaced them for free with the add on order I put in. Getting excited!

Finalized the labels. I went with the colored denominations. That's pretty unique to all the pictures of chips I have seen on here. I had a worry that it may be tough to get the color close to the chips, but I trust @Gear . He has been great through this process. This is whats coming

upload_2018-3-30_9-16-46.png

I'm excited, ready to get going with the labels!

Finally got all the chips labeled and oiled up, I followed the oiling chips done right method. the immediate results are promising:

20180415_182232 (1).jpg
20180415_182248 (1).jpg

I don't know if this is due to the age of the chips, but the pressure brought off a bunch more gunk

20180415_182305 (1).jpg

These should definitely be playable by the next game. So far, pretty happy!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom