FINISHED: Sweater’s Round Pedestal Table Build (1 Viewer)

SWEATER

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Since purchasing our first home together in mid-April, Mrs. Sweater granted me permission to re-purpose a portion of our new basement as a poker room. That renovation will consist of a lot of sweat equity from myself and a few relatives. The build will begin this winter.

In the interim, I wanted to get started on a table for the yet-to-be-completed poker/CHIPES sanctuary. I've always loved classically styled tables (wood pedestal with green playing surface). I'm also a round table guy. Most of the time we play 5 handed, so a 4-foot round table would be perfect. I scoured craigslist and fb marketplace, and found a suitable table base to be repurposed in my poker-cave:

got the table.jpg

The top was trashed, but that wouldn't matter for my purposes. The price was right for just the pedestal. There was only one problem...

crack.jpg

A large crack running the length of the base. Nothing a bit of wood glue and tow straps can't fix:
wood glue.jpg

strap shut.jpg

It worked like a charm. With the crack repaired, I sanded, stained, and applied a matte finish to the base:
sanding.jpg

stain.jpg

satin.jpg

Good as new! On to the tabletop...

I would never claim to be a woodworker. In fact, this was my first time using a jigsaw:
circles.jpg

jigsaw.jpg

It turned out *okay* - nothing a little upholstery won't fix:
upholstry.jpg

bottom of rail.jpg

finished rail.jpg

close up of vinyl.jpg

The foam for the rail and the playing surface came from Your Auto Trim. Highly recommended. I got the vinyl from Joann's fabrics on sale for half off.

I'm currently applying a playing surface custom made by @T_Chan should have pics of that next week, along with the finished product.

Wish me luck!

Sweater

Very cool. I built my table also and your leather work looks so much better than mine - well done!

Love playing at round or octagon tables but we always seem to have ten players, which is a nice problem. This table is going to be awesome. Some of us from down here will have to get to your place for a game one of these days. Of course then you’ll have too many for your table!

Love playing at round or octagon tables but we always seem to have ten players, which is a nice problem. This table is going to be awesome. Some of us from down here will have to get to your place for a game one of these days. Of course then you’ll have too many for your table!
Thanks Mike! Consider this an open invite - I do have a folding holdem table that can fit 10 if needed (and the gasser chairs to match it!).

A bigger table would certainly be more flexible for more people, but practically speaking I know it will be used for 6 or less about 90% of the time. Plus, being my first “build” I wanted to keep things simple. Who knows what’s next?

Well, I got her finished late last night and I’m SUPER happy with it.

Cutting the mounting wood/hardware:
D9D2B433-32D7-4BB2-B7F8-852CFA99835F.jpeg

Playing surface spray adhesived then stapled tightly in place, then leftover plywood screwed to the bottom for table strength:
EEDFCDA9-1CB2-4764-953C-8E374E9CCCE9.jpeg

Full table assembled:
DD24CFAE-F057-4B3B-84CE-D9E5C0FB3959.jpeg

C6857E10-3855-4CFB-8213-6E7EA6A45DA8.jpeg

Beautiful playing surface done by @T_Chan . I got the slide-under cup holders from @Spinettis Gaming
487FC5C9-A216-4DE3-9E75-2BF7AB5965AA.jpeg

It’s certainly not perfect, but for someone with limited woodworking skills, I’m happy with the result. (y) :thumbsup:

"The first step"

The young poet Evmenis
complained one day to Theocritos:
“I have been writing for two years now
and I have composed just one idyll.
It’s my only completed work.
I see, sadly, that the ladder of Poetry
is tall, extremely tall;
and from this first step I now stand on
I will never climb any higher.”
Theocritos replied: “Words like that
are improper, blasphemous.
Just to be on the first step
should make you happy and proud.
To have come this far is no small achievement:
what you have done is a glorious thing.
Even this first step
is a long way above the ordinary world.
To stand on this step
you must be in your own right
a member of the city of ideas.
And it is a hard, unusual thing
to be enrolled as a citizen of that city.
Its councils are full of Legislators
no charlatan can fool.
To have come this far is no small achievement:
what you have done already is a glorious thing.”

Translated by Edmund Keeley/Philip Sherrard

(C.P. Cavafy, Collected Poems. Translated by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard. Edited by George Savidis. Revised Edition. Princeton University Press, 1992)

Congrats man!
:)

That table has class coming out of it’s ass!
Lovely job. I imagine it will bring tears of joy and hours of run good.
Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Cheers,
Joe

Dang, I was going back and forth between build or buy. I kinda wanna build now especially seeing how nice that rail vinyl is. Did you clock roughly how many hours it took?

Dang, I was going back and forth between build or buy. I kinda wanna build now especially seeing how nice that rail vinyl is. Did you clock roughly how many hours it took?
With help, I would guess about 6. Alone, closer to 8 or even 10.

Getting a rail that nice by yourself is a PITA. Might even be more because of the pedestal work.

With help, I would guess about 6. Alone, closer to 8 or even 10.

Getting a rail that nice by yourself is a PITA. Might even be more because of the pedestal work.
The rail absolutely, hands down took the longest. My dad used to do some upholstery work on cars so I had an idea of how to about it. Without that knowledge, it would have taken even longer.

Counting time running back and forth to Joanns fabrics and Home Depot, I’d say I have about 12 hours into it. Wouldn’t change a thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom