Financial Cost of my Poker Hobby (1 Viewer)

HobokenNJ

Two Pair
Reaction score
My response in this thread (where I said: "my hourly 'cost' is likely pretty negligible") got me to thinking if I was right.

I've been playing poker for just over a year (I'd get 60-65 weeks based on my poker-related purchases). In that time, I've acquired a tournament set (semi-custom from ABC) and a cash set (custom relabel). My wife surprised me with a poker table. I've also spent money on books, cards, cut cards, etc.

I play online at micro stakes, and play offline with my son. I've posted a couple of threads expounding on what I think were the benefits (thread 1; thread 2).

Because everything is electronic, it was pretty easy to figure out the net cost. It's harder to convert that into a per hour cost. I don't know exactly how much I play per day. I bet it's above an hour per day. Looking at 1, 2 and 3 hours the per hour cost is pretty low.

Cost Per Hour
Ave. 1 hr Per Day-$3.27
Ave. 2 hr Per Day-$1.63
Ave. 3 hr Per Day-$1.09

This doesn't include the time spend reading, etc., which would reduce my per hour cost by even more.

If I remove 'non-recurring expenses', I'm net positive. According to my calculations, in only 1,944.25 days I'll have broken even! Hopefully my win rate is on an upward trend and so I'll be overall net positive sooner (from a financial perspective).

That said, given the joy and fun with my son, the financial cost is negligible.

If I don’t count PCF purchases...definitely net positive.

With PCF purchases....questionable at best :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::LOL: :laugh:

But I love this place, the chips, the table....it brings me so much joy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom