FFS STOP POSTING EBAY/FACEBOOK/CRAIGSLIST etc. CHIP ADS THAT ARE NOT YOURS! (1 Viewer)

People trying to help others is not the issue.

If we apply the OP's logic broadly over the entirety of the forum, we should all stop posting on PCF. Being helpful and educating new members is just creating a larger pool of competition for this finite supply of chips. We're just shooting ourselves in the foot whenever we welcome noobs to the hobby. More people means more competition during those crucial opening moments of TCR sales.

So whenever there's a new member introducing themselves we shouldn't welcome them to the hobby. We should tell them to fuck off because there's not enough to go around.

Really, the best solution is to create a class system to determine who's worthy and who's a scumbag (ie. everyone else).

Off the top of my head, here are some ideas for a membership charter for this elite class of chippers.

You must own a minimum of 50,000 chips.
50% of your collection must be leaded THCs. And they must be dead mint. And at least 10% have to be IHCs. You must own a limit set that can accommodate 10 full tables and a tourney set that can accommodate 200 people with 1000BB starting stacks.

What else?

When the "Not Mine" tag was added, this was a different hobby. It was a close knit community of people who more or less looked out for each other. There were a few trolls, and d!ckheads, but for the most part folks behaved themselves. This is no longer the case. The hobby has gotten very expensive. There are sets being offered at nice used car prices, unironically. People act desperately to try to get nice chips at affordable prices, and they frankly don't give a shit what it takes to get theirs.

So before you post a "Not Mine" please remember these facts:

- Whatever you have found, so has someone else.
- You are not "helping the community", in fact the drama that surrounds almost all of these posts is doing the opposite.
- There are people that work very hard to try to find gems in the rough. Not a few people... Lots of people.
- Those that aren't looking and your post 'helps' genuinely don't care enough to do the legwork themselves. Why are you doing it for them?
- You're most likely shitting on someone else's already done deal (or deal in the works) who DOES CARE. People here will undercut whoever the fuck they want to try to get chips.
- I am going to Troll the shit out of these "Not Mine" threads. I'll do it in good spirits, but it's happening... My troll game needs work and these threads will be my practice field.

This is worth saying again.

So, seriously stop.

Love you guys! XoXo

PS- This is not directed at anyone in particular, I know the posts are done with the best intentions. However, I'm not sorry if I come off sounding like a asswipe. It's how I've felt for too long now and it needed to be said in it's own thread.
Couldn’t agree more with this

When the "Not Mine" tag was added, this was a different hobby. It was a close knit community of people who more or less looked out for each other. There were a few trolls, and d!ckheads, but for the most part folks behaved themselves. This is no longer the case. The hobby has gotten very expensive. There are sets being offered at nice used car prices, unironically. People act desperately to try to get nice chips at affordable prices, and they frankly don't give a shit what it takes to get theirs.

- You are not "helping the community", in fact the drama that surrounds almost all of these posts is doing the opposite.
- There are people that work very hard to try to find gems in the rough. Not a few people... Lots of people.
- Those that aren't looking and your post 'helps' genuinely don't care enough to do the legwork themselves. Why are you doing it for them?
- You're most likely shitting on someone else's already done deal (or deal in the works) who DOES CARE. People here will undercut whoever the fuck they want to try to get chips.
- I am going to Troll the shit out of these "Not Mine" threads. I'll do it in good spirits, but it's happening... My troll game needs work and these threads will be my practice field.

So, seriously stop.

Love you guys! XoXo

PS- This is not directed at anyone in particular, I know the posts are done with the best intentions. However, I'm not sorry if I come off sounding like a asswipe. It's how I've felt for too long now and it needed to be said in it's own thread.

This is idiotic. Sorry if you didn’t get those chips you wanted because someone outbid you.

I’ve benefitted from people posting “Not mine” ads, and not because I sniped someone. I will continue to post them, and I appreciate the people who do post them. PCF community for the win. Haters can go suck.

This is idiotic. Sorry if you didn’t get those chips you wanted because someone outbid you.

I’ve benefitted from people posting “Not mine” ads, and not because I sniped someone. I will continue to post them, and I appreciate the people who do post them. PCF community for the win. Haters can go suck.

I think most people can generally agree with this when it comes to eBay sales still ongoing or not completed.

I think the issue is when it comes to sales that have already ended. For example, we have seen Facebook posts, estate sales, etc. where deals have been agreed to, a "Not Mine" thread pops up, and then all of a sudden the original buyer is told they no longer get the chips from the seller. In some instances, money has already exchanged hands. I thought these were the situations I was responding to when I posted, not just a generic eBay sale that has not yet ran its course.

My general philosophy:
  • If it's a decent deal, but won't cause a Walmart Black Friday riot, post it. Chances are, someone may appreciate the tip. Remember, there are a lot of noobs who may not have tastes as mature as yours.
  • If it's an amazing deal, PM/text a nearby friend. Keep that shit off the public domain.
  • If it's already sold, for fucks sake, please do not post a "Who Got Em?" thread. Chances are, the seller didn't ship yet and you are just goading thousands of random PCFers to sabotage the deal somehow.

My general philosophy:
  • If it's a decent deal, but won't cause a Walmart Black Friday riot, post it. Chances are, someone may appreciate the tip. Remember, there are a lot of noobs who may not have tastes as mature as yours.
  • If it's an amazing deal, PM/text a nearby friend. Keep that shit off the public domain.
  • If it's already sold, for fucks sake, please do not post a "Who Got Em?" thread. Chances are, the seller didn't ship yet and you are just goading thousands of random PCFers to sabotage the deal somehow.
This provides some very meaningful context and clarity.

So, seriously stop.

Love you guys! XoXo

I'm still new, but I do agree that the "not mine" tag has really lost any sort of value to me. I just kind of roll my eyes when I see them now.

At the same time, I don't think these posts are really killing too many deals for anyone. Most auctions are several days long and I imagine the usage of eBay is way up (as is the amount of members) that it was back when this hobby apparently didn't suck.

My take is that if there's an eBay deal to be had, it's gonna be found by more than one person even before anyone talks about it on the forum. Is it kind of annoying when someone brings attention to something you're watching? Maybe. But reality is people were gonna find it anyway.

My general philosophy:

100% this.

If it’s an eBay auction you can always choose to bid higher than someone else. Nobody owes you some special secret deal below what another person is willing to pay just because you think you “did the legwork” and found it first. I generally agree with you on buy it now or Facebook marketplace.

There’s something about this that doesn’t ring true to me. It’s kind of a fallacy. In an auction, there’s only one item, so there can only be one winner, and that’s the guy who cares the least about his money (either because he’s rich or because he’s a maniac.). Nobody else has a chance. Unless some people actually get some twisted pleasure from making a “participation bid,” the only person who benefits from these postings is the seller.

I agree completely with @ChipEnvy , though I care less and less every day. Count me amount the people who think this hobby has gone to shit, because it’s all about the money. Even if we’re not talking about auctions, it’s the same thing. People used to wait patiently for things. Now they just post huge offers until they get what they want. I’m not complaining - it’s reality and free market whatever. But I just had to rant about the “give everybody a chance” argument that I see now and then - it isn’t quite real.
I understand the thought here but I’m at an impasse. I’m just starting out in this hobby and it’s like trying to buy a stock after everyone already got on the bandwagon. My heart says yes but my mind is telling me to go f myself.

I’m at an impasse. I’m just starting out in this hobby.
Hint: Don't move any further.
Find just one economical set to play with your friends, after much reading and consideration, and, if you don't have a life, hang around here for laughs in the "Derail and What The Fuck" thread. :)

1619737979161.png

OMG it's hilarious I had to click the "Show ignored content" to see a post by one of the very few people I'm ignoring call my post idiotic. I have no idea why @superchromix found my ignore list, but... pretty sure I made a good call on that one.

Hint: Don't move any further.
Find just one economical set to play with your friends, after much reading and consideration, and, if you don't have a life, hang around here for laughs in the "Derail and What The Fuck" thread. :)
@Coyote you don’t know how much I appreciate that rational advice!

People trying to help others is not the issue.

If we apply the OP's logic broadly over the entirety of the forum, we should all stop posting on PCF. Being helpful and educating new members is just creating a larger pool of competition for this finite supply of chips. We're just shooting ourselves in the foot whenever we welcome noobs to the hobby. More people means more competition during those crucial opening moments of TCR sales.

So whenever there's a new member introducing themselves we shouldn't welcome them to the hobby. We should tell them to fuck off because there's not enough to go around.

Really, the best solution is to create a class system to determine who's worthy and who's a scumbag (ie. everyone else).

Off the top of my head, here are some ideas for a membership charter for this elite class of chippers.

50% of your collection must be leaded THCs. And they must be dead mint. And at least 10% have to be IHCs. You must own a limit set that can accommodate 10 full tables and a tourney set that can accommodate 200 people with 1000BB starting stacks.

What else?
Fwiw, at one point, my chip collection qualified on all six points of your criteria. But a member of the chipping elitist class? Hardly. I'm just a chipper.

*hangs head in shame*

Fwiw, at one point, my chip collection qualified on all six points of your criteria. But a member of the chipping elitist class? Hardly. I'm just a chipper.
Lol. 10 table limit set? I was thinking of those 3/6 games where everyone has a mountain of $1s in front of them. I'm 0 for all 6 btw.

OK - need to dream up something even crazier than that. Maybe throw in custom set requirements. Must have custom TRK, BCC, and ASM/CPC sets. You get to be the president of the club if you have a legit and unique custom Paulson set.

I have been screwed over after finding a nice rack of Crystal Parks at a great price with the eBay ad not being very descriptive. I was so excited to finally get a deal.

Well, someone here that didn’t care about the CP chips posted the link for everyone..... and the price instantly went up. I ended up having to pay more than market value for them. I was ticked and PMd the PCF member and told him what he did. He was trying to help but it didn’t help.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom