FFS STOP POSTING EBAY/FACEBOOK/CRAIGSLIST etc. CHIP ADS THAT ARE NOT YOURS! (1 Viewer)

ChipEnvy

Full House
Reaction score
When the "Not Mine" tag was added, this was a different hobby. It was a close knit community of people who more or less looked out for each other. There were a few trolls, and d!ckheads, but for the most part folks behaved themselves. This is no longer the case. The hobby has gotten very expensive. There are sets being offered at nice used car prices, unironically. People act desperately to try to get nice chips at affordable prices, and they frankly don't give a shit what it takes to get theirs.

So before you post a "Not Mine" please remember these facts:

- Whatever you have found, so has someone else.
- You are not "helping the community", in fact the drama that surrounds almost all of these posts is doing the opposite.
- There are people that work very hard to try to find gems in the rough. Not a few people... Lots of people.
- Those that aren't looking and your post 'helps' genuinely don't care enough to do the legwork themselves. Why are you doing it for them?
- You're most likely shitting on someone else's already done deal (or deal in the works) who DOES CARE. People here will undercut whoever the fuck they want to try to get chips.
- I am going to Troll the shit out of these "Not Mine" threads. I'll do it in good spirits, but it's happening... My troll game needs work and these threads will be my practice field.

This is worth saying again.
- Whatever you have found, so has someone else.

So, seriously stop.

Love you guys! XoXo

PS- This is not directed at anyone in particular, I know the posts are done with the best intentions. However, I'm not sorry if I come off sounding like a asswipe. It's how I've felt for too long now and it needed to be said in it's own thread.

Valid points... I would say: don't post the awesome deals, but feel free to post the somewhat interesting lots, or chips that are listed around market price.

I always hate to see this happen. I usually won't mention interesting sales unless I am PMing someone actively going after those specific chips or allow enough time to pass after the sale has ended and they are likely in the mail.

Last edited:
Didn't realize there was such angst in the background for these posts.

It's really that cutthroat?

I've posted 'not mine' with the intention of being helpful to someone else. I don't think the sales I've posted have tanked or interfered with anyone else.

A few that I've shared are still available - likely because they're not insane deals for resellers to profit from.

When I see something that I know someone in particular needs or falls into their likes, I'll PM them directly. They do the same for me.

Sometimes it'll be someone I've never talked to before, but we noticed our wants and gave each other a hand. (That's getting dangerously close to making the out of context thread lol)

It's really that cutthroat?
It is with some people. But that goes for here as well. There are always a small number of members who would think nothing of buying chips out from under another member if they could get away with it. Add in the (more) anonymous nature of eBay and "check this out on eBay" threads can touch off a seller getting dozens of messages from people that turn it into an ad hoc auction through direct messages.

9f2.gif

I mean, I imagine it's like that. I live on the wrong side of the pond, so I couldn't get 99% of those deals anyway. :cry:

I have benefited greatly from people posting Not Mine ads here, not because I managed to steal someone else's great deal, but because I got a chance to bid on some chips that I've been trying to find.

I don't have the time to refresh eBay every moment I'm awake. I greatly appreciate the folks who have spotted things that might be of interest to others and who passed it along here.

I have zero sympathy for anyone who got outbid on something they wanted because someone else spotted it and let other people know. Nobody in the world owes you dibs. You're not special just because you saw it first.

If I spot a great deal that I want, sure I'm going to keep it to myself. But I'm not going to invoke omerta and jump on someone else because they spread it around. I don't have a duty to share, but nobody else has a duty to keep quiet on my behalf. And there's a lot of other people who would benefit from having a chance at it as well, so hats off to anyone who brings something valuable to the attention of everyone who might like it.

And there's a lot of other people who would benefit from having a chance at it as well, so hats off to anyone who brings something valuable to the attention of everyone who might like it.
There’s something about this that doesn’t ring true to me. It’s kind of a fallacy. In an auction, there’s only one item, so there can only be one winner, and that’s the guy who cares the least about his money (either because he’s rich or because he’s a maniac.). Nobody else has a chance. Unless some people actually get some twisted pleasure from making a “participation bid,” the only person who benefits from these postings is the seller.

I agree completely with @ChipEnvy , though I care less and less every day. Count me amount the people who think this hobby has gone to shit, because it’s all about the money. Even if we’re not talking about auctions, it’s the same thing. People used to wait patiently for things. Now they just post huge offers until they get what they want. I’m not complaining - it’s reality and free market whatever. But I just had to rant about the “give everybody a chance” argument that I see now and then - it isn’t quite real.

from what i can tell, the general consensus has consistently been that this hobby is going to shit since i started in 2003.
Sure, the past is under control, in contrast to the present and the future. That's how and why people get nostalgic.
But can't you spot some turning points for the worse, in all those years?

In an auction, there’s only one item, so there can only be one winner, and that’s the guy who cares the least about his money (either because he’s rich or because he’s a maniac.).
I get what you're saying, and it's a fair point. I'd rephrase this one part, though, as "the guy who cares the most about having those chips". And nobody knows who that guy is gonna be until the auction shakes out. It's probably not guy who spotted it first, though, and it probably will be one of the people who find out about it later.

I get what you're saying, and it's a fair point. I'd rephrase this one part, though, as "the guy who cares the most about having those chips". And nobody knows who that guy is gonna be until the auction shakes out. It's probably not guy who spotted it first, though, and it probably will be one of the people who find out about it later.
I almost said that, but then I thought about it and decided against it. If we all had the sane amount of money, that could be true. But when you have some people with lots of money and some people with little money, it matters less and less who cares the most.
Don’t mind my rants, I’m just disillusioned and cynical.

Being very new to chip collecting when I first starting visiting this site one of the first places I went was to the classifieds/vendors/etc. area. I went through a lot of the "Not Mine" links and found them very useful than just browsing eBay on my own, this is simply because even now I would not be completely sure what was a legit deal and not some junk or fakes a guy may have just printed/created.

Don’t mind my rants, I’m just disillusioned and cynical.
You are disillusioned, indeed. But you have never been capable of even getting close to cynical. :)
Culturally, you are a die-hard Christian Protestant, even if spirituallly you may be an atheist, an agnostic or a Buddhist.:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom