Feedback on label design (1 Viewer)

Best execution ever of "I can't decide between red or black denominations" and "I really like both inlays - J5 makes these artwork decisions really difficult."

Best execution ever of "I can't decide between red or black denominations" and "I really like both inlays - J5 makes these artwork decisions really difficult."

Not even hyperbole. As a matter of fact I can't remember if it was you or JM who said "why don't you just use both."

For the record I thought the two inlay suggestion above was a good one. A lot going on in this inlay but most of it is essential. Pushing the elements into a front and back could really allow you to present it well.

Not even hyperbole. As a matter of fact I can't remember if it was you or JM who said "why don't you just use both."

For the record I thought the two inlay suggestion above was a good one. A lot going on in this inlay but most of it is essential. Pushing the elements into a front and back could really allow you to present it well.

Are you thinking something like this on reverse side?

medialunaDARK-100side-b.gif

I think it's a good idea. Maybe closeup of the dancers on one side and just the text and denom centered on the other?

Is it just me or is the resolution on the denomination bad?

I think it's a good idea. Maybe closeup of the dancers on one side and just the text and denom centered on the other?

Is it just me or is the resolution on the denomination bad?

Yes, the denomination font looks like crap.

I like the dancers & moon with offset denom (if a different or enhanced font), and reverse with text and centered denom.

Much better. What mold are you planning on using? Your earlier mocks were on HHR but I would NOT suggest that for this design. Doesn't fit at all.

I would personally think maybe the FDL. Your design needs elegance.

Much better. What mold are you planning on using? Your earlier mocks were on HHR but I would NOT suggest that for this design. Doesn't fit at all.

I was considering that HH mold. It looks nice to my eye, just in general. And there's a famous tango song about a horse head (Por una cabeza). But again, not completely wedded to that idea. Any other thoughts on the current label design?

I was considering that HH mold. It looks nice to my eye, just in general. And there's a famous tango song about a horse head (Por una cabeza). But again, not completely wedded to that idea. Any other thoughts on the current label design?

Well first and foremost these are your chips and will cost you a fair amount of money so make sure you are happy first.

To me the HHR is not the right mold for this though. (And I'm a guy that owns almost 5000 HHRs.)

This is an elegant design and needs something to echo that. My first thought is the fleur de lis although my arm could be twisted into the diamond square as well.

The label is looking pretty good. I think the split lets you do everything without it feeling cramped. I think the next step is to mock up the full set with edge spots and see how it looks.

switched up the font once more. here's where i am:

View attachment 6121View attachment 6122

I really REALLY like the left design. I'm not sure what it is about the design on the right but it's not doing it for me by itself. Either way, these are coming along nicely. The 3d14 mock-up for the hundo earlier in this thread is terrific. What do you have in mind for the other denoms? :)

Text needs to be balanced so that it is uniformly the same distance from the edge. Denomination font still needs work.

I'd go with FDL on these, maybe circle-square. A-, B-, H-, HHR -- none of those would look very good imo. Don't care for the hourglass mold. Diamond-square is my fav, but not sure it works well with this design.

Text needs to be balanced so that it is uniformly the same distance from the edge. Denomination font still needs work.

I'd go with FDL on these, maybe circle-square. A-, B-, H-, HHR -- none of those would look very good imo. Don't care for the hourglass mold. Diamond-square is my fav, but not sure it works well with this design.

I'm up in the air on the MD50, I think it MIGHT work. Might be interesting to see it mocked up. I think Links is right about the dancers. I like it conceptually but something about it isn't quite right. Not sure what though.

I really REALLY like the left design. I'm not sure what it is about the design on the right but it's not doing it for me by itself. Either way, these are coming along nicely. The 3d14 mock-up for the hundo earlier in this thread is terrific. What do you have in mind for the other denoms? :)

Josh, I think the plan is for both inlays to be used (one front, one back). Agree that the right inlay wouldn't work very well by itself, but as the reverse side....

Josh, I think the plan is for both inlays to be used (one front, one back). Agree that the right inlay wouldn't work very well by itself, but as the reverse side....

Yes, I know that is the plan. I was saying that I'm not a huge fan of it by itself - even as a "B side" inlay.

Yes, I know that is the plan. I was saying that I'm not a huge fan of it by itself - even as a "B side" inlay.

I think the dancers under the moon is the soul of this label. I just feel like the design needs to be tweaked somehow. Not sure how though.

I think the dancers under the moon is the soul of this label. I just feel like the design needs to be tweaked somehow. Not sure how though.

Agreed 100%. I like the dancers as a "watermark" type element - haven't looked back to page 1 to confirm but I think this was done in a previous version. It just looked too cluttered. IMO it takes a very specific design to pull of A- and B-side inlays. And this just isn't there. Yet.

I'm thinking on the dancer side. Not immediately sure how to spice it up a little, but maybe something will come to me. On the question of font, does anyone have any specific suggestions for the denom?

I'm with links here... I really like the left but imo the right feels like something is kinda missing (although it's growing on me the more I look at it)... I like the idea of two inlay design, but I also liked the original idea tbh...

Juts to nit pick a little the left side design: Just make sure the Madialuna and the Cardroom are more than 8% from the edge, per CPC specs. Also, the Medialuna is giving the impression of being on a different circumference center... If you look how far from the border the middle A is compared to the M and final A, it's look like that... Maybe it's just illusion... I would go still a little bigger on the fonts...

But the design looks really, really good...

And I agree with Mr Tree , I would pick the FDL as the best match for mold with the benefit you could use a bit larger inlay for your design...

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

^^^^ For sure! ^^^^

I hate not to be giving you something more concrete. Not sure you even need to change the dancers, I think it might be something more along the lines of how they are presented.

Also I agree with Dave that the denomination don't needs to be dressed up a little more. Something a little more fancy, but still easily legible.

Another couple tries here. Still not quite sure how to spice up the dancer side. But here's another version of the title side.

medialunaDARK-100side-b3.gifmedialunaDARK-100side-a3.gif

Another couple tries here. Still not quite sure how to spice up the dancer side. But here's another version of the title side.

View attachment 6133View attachment 6134

I think I have it now! Try one side like the right image with the moon behind the denomination and try the other with the dancers behind the denomination (no moon on the dancers but the upper and lower text.)

Mr Tree may be onto something; that's worth a try - but for the record, I'm liking all the simpler dancer labels, too. I don't have the bad reaction that some others have - I really liking them all.

If you're loving one of the simpler backs, don't be dissuaded by a few complaints - remember, in the end, you're paying for and keeping them.

Personally, I don't even feel it's required to even have the denom on the back. I think it's enough to have the denom on one side; we'll ALL know the denom when we start playing. It's about the art and the look in a splashed pot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom