Feedback on Ceramic Customs (2 Viewers)

Ok…I think this is the final. A couple things..I realized the edge spots on the white and red are very similar, but it tried multiple colors on the red and nothing looked as nice. I also was to keep navy on the white as it’s symbolic of the PSU helmet.

To address the issue of the gradient making the edges too dark we stopped it at the ring.

The only thing I’m not 100% is the number of edge spots and alignment. We pulled the edge spots slightly away from the edge and have four on all but the .50 to alleviate the need to align. Not sure if I should just go with three for each chip align and show progression in the spots themselves or add more spots.

Anyway, here they are. Please let me know any thoughts! Thanks

0B86AC43-850C-445E-9BB3-8AD205F91017.png
02B3BA2E-D0AB-4AD5-9D17-34C4616CE5F4.png
17C1C183-E5F4-422B-B0D5-9691A282C314.png
0812C1D9-7A8B-4FC0-A4AC-18C92BE6118C.png
068054BF-841D-4EC0-AABB-F89390B55D4E.png

Last edited:
The only thing I can add is that if you have the "edgespots that close to the edge on the face of the chip, you'll probably really notice when the print is off by a half millimeter and it will make the whole chip off center. Giving yourself a little more room around the edge will help ease the eyes with the variation in center printing over the entire batch.

Did we cover not doing a gradient on the black? Giving it a slight gradient to gray would really help it fit in with the rest of the set. Right now it looks like an afterthought chip, not a main ingredient.

The only thing I can add is that if you have the "edgespots that close to the edge on the face of the chip, you'll probably really notice when the print is off by a half millimeter and it will make the whole chip off center. Giving yourself a little more room around the edge will help ease the eyes with the variation in center printing over the entire batch.

Did we cover not doing a gradient on the black? Giving it a slight gradient to gray would really help it fit in with the rest of the set. Right now it looks like an afterthought chip, not a main ingredient.
Good points. I’m going to talk that over with Kristil who I have been in contact with. My Dad is working on putting the gradient back into the black now. He also better centered the text on the rear top to bottom. Here is the white to look at.
The "Washington" chips from pic above look dope, who made them?
I don’t know but I love them!
746F3F2B-8FC0-4EC3-B399-BE5023AD1F35.png

He added it back with it being totally black outside the gold circle … but I asked him darken it up slightly. He is what it is now.
60DCB3F4-5F76-494D-A3D7-BB0DDCC7E412.png

You'll see how dark things to print in reality vs screen mock ups. This will probably be very slight in reality, which is likely what you're going for.

The set came together really well. These are going to look great!

You'll see how dark things to print in reality vs screen mock ups. This will probably be very slight in reality, which is likely what you're going for.

The set came together really well. These are going to look great!
Thanks for all the input. I will send them the files and hopefully they can guide me in that regard. Maybe adjust on their end as I think I’m driving my Dad crazy ;)
I will definitely order mock ups but I really wish they would print the edges too :(

Thanks for all the input. I will send them the files and hopefully they can guide me in that regard. Maybe adjust on their end as I think I’m driving my Dad crazy ;)
I will definitely order mock ups but I really wish they would print the edges too :(
Kristil is great and she will definitely help you with colors. I agree on the edges, but understand why they don't do it for mock ups. If I had seen the edges in my prototypes it would've saved me from my own graphic mistake, but that's life!

Ok…sent an email to Kristil with screen shots of the chips. She thought they looked “wonderful” and that I should keep the edge spots as is and not go to three each and align. She thinks they should print fine as well but I’m still going to get prototypes.
My Father is sending the .ai files over and I’m placing the order shortly.. thanks for the feedback and wish me luck! It only took me 3 years to finally do this!
I’ll post the when I get something

Ok…sent an email to Kristil with screen shots of the chips. She thought they looked “wonderful” and that I should keep the edge spots as is and not go to three each and align. She thinks they should print fine as well but I’m still going to get prototypes.
My Father is sending the .ai files over and I’m placing the order shortly.. thanks for the feedback and wish me luck! It only took me 3 years to finally do this!
I’ll post the when I get something
Congrats! Don’t forget to get a few extras of each as a “just in case”.

Well I’m really glad I got prototypes done. Unfortunately they didn’t print well at all. Washed out and difficult to read. Also, as some suggested, the outer ring makes anything off center very obvious.
Here are some pics but they look a lot better in these photos than in person. In person they look like color photocopies. I put them next to the Los Muertos to better illustrate the different on saturation and clarity.
BE79B432-3756-4107-9EBC-1466A273167F.jpeg

I let Kristil know and she was very helpful about it. She is going to work on some options that may print better

9876951E-04FF-4BD3-9EDF-FA9A97229D5D.jpeg

I’m curious, was the file you sent set up in CMYK color space? Also, you may need to tweak your colors to the ones that output with the best brightness/saturation. Maybe Kristil can give you some colors used in the DDLMs for reference?
It could also be something as simple as your monitor may be quite bright and looks appropriate on-screen, but the printed output is true to the colors, and it prints darker.

Kristil can definitely help you fine tune the colors on their side. They helped me really brighten up a couple colors just by letting her know what I was looking for after submitting my original artwork.

Part of the amazing customer service you get by going with them.

I’m curious, was the file you sent set up in CMYK color space? Also, you may need to tweak your colors to the ones that output with the best brightness/saturation. Maybe Kristil can give you some colors used in the DDLMs for reference?
It could also be something as simple as your monitor may be quite bright and looks appropriate on-screen, but the printed output is true to the colors, and it prints darker.
I think so but I’ll ask him again. Kristil did mention that the green color on my chip was the same as on the DDLM $25 but that chip also has other brighter colors. EDIT- My Dad says yes
Kristil can definitely help you fine tune the colors on their side. They helped me really brighten up a couple colors just by letting her know what I was looking for after submitting my original artwork.

Part of the amazing customer service you get by going with them.
She really has been great and patient so far.
Were there really many chips that were printed off center?
None of them are perfectly centered. Some worse than others. I’d definitely recommend avoiding any visual reference point near the edges out off the design…or move them in from the edge far enough. I was a bit surprised in that the DDLMs look nearly perfect. The red was the worst. Black was the best.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Strange. None of these look particularly off-center to me. In all honesty, I don't think I'd even notice in play. But they are yours, you deserve to be happier with them if you're gonna be paying for them.
I agree, they look like they’re within the tolerances of the job. Also agree that it’s up to you if it’s a problem or not.
I don’t think I would notice either, but that’s me.

It's definitely within the tolerances of a print job, but it will always be that the closer you print something to the edge, the more your eye will notice it because you'll have no space on one portion of the chip and 2mm of space on the other side.

The way to minimize this is to retreat the graphics more into the center of the chip to lessen the impact of what's perceived as "at the edge". ESPECIALLY things circular in nature. Things not circular in nature tend to be perceived even less when on the high side of tolerance.

It's definitely within the tolerances of a print job, but it will always be that the closer you print something to the edge, the more your eye will notice it because you'll have no space on one portion of the chip and 2mm of space on the other side.

The way to minimize this is to retreat the graphics more into the center of the chip to lessen the impact of what's perceived as "at the edge". ESPECIALLY things circular in nature. Things not circular in nature tend to be perceived even less when on the high side of tolerance.
Yes that’s what we plan to do with the graphics. It’s not chasing me off of getting them I just thought they would be a bit closer based on the samples.

I showed the black as an example of a well centered chip. The red however is pretty off ..more than twice the distance from the top edge compared to the bottom... but I’m hoping the majority of the chips when printed will will be better and/or less noticeable with some adjustments.

All in all I’m glad I did the prototypes and I’m sure they will come up with a solution to the colors. Unfortunately I don’t thing the gradient will work but we will see. I think we can get them a little better before they print off 1200 + of these bad boys! Can’t wait to get them in play

Last edited:
I've found that the off centre printing is most noticeable on white chips. That was my experience with my rebuy, bounty, and seating chips.

I suspect it doesn't seem as noticable on the DDLM's because it's a "busier" design.

I've found that the off centre printing is most noticeable on white chips. That was my experience with my rebuy, bounty, and seating chips.

I suspect it doesn't seem as noticable on the DDLM's because it's a "busier" design.
Actually I was thinking the design on the outer edge makes it more obvious. My sample set looks practically perfect.
image.jpg

Kristil is still tweeking but sent this photo of some changes next to the first run. Took off the ring and moved the edge spots in from the edge so the centering would be better disguised. She lightened up the text and made some things bolder. Also brightened up the colors and lessened the gradient. She was worried that the drop shadow didn’t print well.

My response was that I agreed and I’m starting to feel the the gradient may need to go as well as it doesn’t seem to transfer to an actual printed chip the way I had hoped.
The red is definitely brighter but may be a bit too orange. The edge spots in the .50 look way better but now may be too close to $100 edge spot color.

She is sending me another pic today I think but I’m interested in your thoughts with the gradient and drop shadow on the text. Kristil has been a pleasure to work with as you all said she would be!
66C9E039-3421-491E-88DB-D9FA40E2B49C.jpeg

Kristil is still tweeking but sent this photo of some changes next to the first run. Took off the ring and moved the edge spots in from the edge so the centering would be better disguised. She lightened up the text and made some things bolder. Also brightened up the colors and lessened the gradient. She was worried that the drop shadow didn’t print well.

My response was that I agreed and I’m starting to feel the the gradient may need to go as well as it doesn’t seem to transfer to an actual printed chip the way I had hoped.
The red is definitely brighter but may be a bit too orange. The edge spots in the .50 look way better but now may be too close to $100 edge spot color.

She is sending me another pic today I think but I’m interested in your thoughts with the gradient and drop shadow on the text. Kristil has been a pleasure to work with as you all said she would be!
View attachment 773606
I think the base color on all but the $5 is a big improvement but I agree that one is a bit too orange. Not sure how I feel on the gradient, still looks quite good on the $1 and the $25 and the more I look at it the more I like it on the $100 but the 50c and $5 just look kind of dirty from it to me.

After an additional week of revisions I think we are ready to print! Had to make a number of adjustments to make them print close to what they looked like on the screen. There is a bit of a halo in the brown behind the guy but I don’t think we can get rid of it or not.
Kristil has been very helpful and patient! Here are the final prototypes. I’ll wait to hear what she says about the halo but otherwise I’m ready to print. Thanks for all the input
38ECE595-2192-4212-BABF-127178014475.jpeg
E0303010-D359-42C8-9A93-D5B2FE33F8FB.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom