Feedback encouraged: Mack's Playroom -- Plaques (UPDATED) (1 Viewer)

MacGrad

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
As discussed in another thread, I'm looking at expanding my set by replacing my non-denom blue with an actual T5000. The current thought was to go with OWPS 43mm octagon, because I feel it might work as both an addition to the clay set and as the low chip in a potential "high roller" expansion.

Here's the mockup of the 5000, and a couple of the clays for reference:

5000 Chip.jpg
green_black-jpg.54731

To distinguish it from the clay, I'm going with a "brushed steel" for this chip -- 10K and 25K would be plaques with a silver / gold color accents worked into them..

UPDATE (9/12): Octagon chip has been relegated to the dustbin -- new plaque designs on post xx.

Last edited:
I think it would be helpful to see the whole progression for reference.

One thing I notice is that the color highlight behind the bear and rocking horse is two tone, whereas the octo is a single color. Also, the bear and rocking horse are set dead center in the chip, whereas the octo is offset to accommodate a larger denom. I really need to see the whole progression to get a full picture, though.

I think it would be helpful to see the whole progression for reference.

One thing I notice is that the color highlight behind the bear and rocking horse is two tone, whereas the octo is a single color. Also, the bear and rocking horse are set dead center in the chip, whereas the octo is offset to accommodate a larger denom. I really need to see the whole progression to get a full picture, though.

Ask, and ye shall receive...

http://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/macks-playroom-asm-2006.14526/

Good catch on the 2-tone color highlight -- completely slipped my mind when doing the new chip.

Also thinking I need to enlarge the denom slightly to eliminate some of the empty space, and either lighten the background or darken the flames on the volleyball so they show up a bit better.

Ok, so thoughts about the color. Your T1000 has an orange base. It looks like the octo center color is orange / yellow orange. I think you may need more distinction between the the center octo color and the T1000. Orange, white, grey and yellow are a popular colors for T5000, and you partially have that covered with the brushed steel look.

Ok, so thoughts about the color. Your T1000 has an orange base. It looks like the octo center color is orange / yellow orange. I think you may need more distinction between the the center octo color and the T1000. Orange, white, grey and yellow are a popular colors for T5000, and you partially have that covered with the brushed steel look.

Ok... based on your feedback, here's the first revision...

5000 Chip v1.1.jpg

Revisions:
* Inlay changed to highlighter yellow
* White outline added to color splotch
* Black outline added to volleyball art
* Volleyball graphic centered on x-axis
* Size of denom increased, location adjusted to account for new size

Better / worse / meh?

Not really a fan of mixing in other manufacturers or even molds. Perhaps MSK plaque might work. My preference would be for another HHR CPC chip but I understand the limitations of their minimums probably takes that off the table.

I like this new one (also liked the old one too), however I don't think it will print as bright as appears. What about using the grey of the perimeter fro the "HAMILTON ONTARIO EST 2002" It doesn't show up very well currently. I also think you should expand the "PlayrooM" out bigger on the rolling edge, it is barely discernible right right as well. I think I would change the "5000" on the edge to match the center color (Yellow currently), This will give your stacks a little more color as well too.

Not really a fan of mixing in other manufacturers or even molds. Perhaps MSK plaque might work. My preference would be for another HHR CPC chip but I understand the limitations of their minimums probably takes that off the table.

I agree completely with your preference, but you're right: the minimum takes it off the table -- no need for 300 chips, and the edgespot progression would put them at over $3 per chip. :-(

I like this new one (also liked the old one too), however I don't think it will print as bright as appears. What about using the grey of the perimeter fro the "HAMILTON ONTARIO EST 2002" It doesn't show up very well currently.

I agree -- I may need to change the color of the "Hamilton" and the denom to something a little darker. To keep with the style of the old chips, the color of the denom matches the color of the words on the front... maybe a bronze?

I also think you should expand the "PlayrooM" out bigger on the rolling edge, it is barely discernible right right as well.

That's the challenge... I'm limited by the size of the rolling edge, but I think I can redo it a bit wider. The other option would be to just have the denom on every other edge and leave the others blank.

I think I would change the "5000" on the edge to match the center color (Yellow currently), This will give your stacks a little more color as well too.

Agreed. Let's see how it looks color-matched to the new denom...

Version 1.2a, 1.2b

5000 Chip v1.2.jpg

Changes:
* Changed flames from red to pink
* Changed denom and text on front to steel blue
* Enlarged "Playroom" text on edge
* Changed color of denom on edge

Curious about the thoughts on the treatment of "Playroom" on the edge -- w/ or w/o a fine stroke outline?
Curious about the thoughts on the color of the denom on the edge -- yellow or white?

Mocked it up as a plaque instead...

5000 plaque v1.2.jpg

If I reduce some of the grain, I think I'll have a nice silver colored plaque... and I can save that yellow color for an inlay on a bronze T5000...

I still reckon a timber framed 'blackboard/chalkboard' would be appropriate for the theme. The silver seems cold and harsh for a child's play area. The green background is nice, but the border not so much.

I still reckon a timber framed 'blackboard/chalkboard' would be appropriate for the theme. The silver seems cold and harsh for a child's play area. The green background is nice, but the border not so much.

I haven't forgotten... however, when I started with the wood frame, I ended up temporarily using it for something else. The chalkboard isn't out of my head, but I'm afraid the cat and the logo would blend in too much on the background.

Gold / silver / bronze is a basic progression I can use for the plaques, but I'm trying to think of colors / designs I can use if I switched the wood frame for one one these.

Wait a second... weren't you the one who was telling me in another thread that I should go with ceramics? Let me see...

You know mate, I have been thinking that ceramic is definitely the way to go for you. You could do a blackboard background with various chalk colours etc.., and a coloured 'timber' frame around the edge. Ceramic would allow for such a thing. :)

I knew it! You're trying to confuse me because you want an Etch-a-Sketch plaque! So dastardly... with behavior like that, it's no wonder we're the favorites of the royal family. :whistle: :whistling::p

Wait a second... weren't you the one who was telling me in another thread that I should go with ceramics? Let me see...

I knew it! You're trying to confuse me because you want an Etch-a-Sketch plaque! So dastardly... with behavior like that, it's no wonder we're the favorites of the royal family. :whistle: :whistling::p

Haha. Not at all mate :). The blackboard would go well with ceramic :), but the etcha sketch would be epic on MSK acrylic plaques :). I think a softer theme is the way to go either way :)

It's amazing what you can learn in a week...

7 days later, and I've changed my thoughts on the octagon. Here's the 3 designs I've "settled" on for the plaque additions, and I'd like whatever feedback the board would like to provide.

#1: T5000 (replacing non-denom blue chip)
82mm_denim 5K.jpg

Kids and jeans go together, so we've gone with a denim look for the blue plaque. The present is a reminder of the excitement my daughter had when anyone received a gift, and her willingness to help that person unwrap it. The "inlay" is meant to look like the leather patch on the back of a pair of jeans, with a "burned in" look for the denom and location.

#2: T25000
94mm_jersey 25K.jpg

A bit of a "cheat" for me, as my daughter didn't really play sports when she was really young. However, she started playing volleyball when she was 8, so it had to make an appearance. Her current team colors are black and gold, so the inlay is "stitched" onto the jersey in traditional tackle / twill fashion.

#3: T100000
107mm_gem 100K v2.jpg

What girl didn't have her own fake plastic jewelry? And what chip set is complete without a pinkish chip / plaque? As the "biggest" denomination this set will likely see, it gets the special treatment. Other than the cat, I'm looking for a gold foil look on a plastic ruby. The husky (the dog she always wanted) is on an amethyst blob (her birthstone). The old blue chip non-denom had her wearing a princess tiara, so I felt like a gemstone would tie in as the highest value plaque.

Any thoughts or improvements for the designs, and would I be better off with ceramic or MSK?

And, for those of you who have had plaques made, am I pushing the limits of the manufacturer capabilities too far? If so, what aspects would I need to pull back on?

Thanks!

Out of these designs I prefer number 2.

I think you could improve no1 by making the whole border denim pattern, use the button for re-enforcement/clarity of the theme. I also think the burn in effect is coming through but makes the text and denom not stand out as much. Maybe try an embossed effect in darker brown and see if that creates a cleaner image while still delivering the desired effect.

I can't help you on materials due to lack of experience with them

Definitely go with MSK. They can replicate what you're asking for (gold foil, ruby plaques, etc.) You'd be surprised with what they can do, no limit is too far. Still like the etch-a-sketch idea though.....:D

Yeah I think the etch-a-sketch idea would look really trick as well. Draw a little grid and pixilated denom and images.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom