FedEx Thefts of International Chip Packages (1 Viewer)

Windwalker

4 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
In the last 2 weeks, 2 international FedEx packages from two different counties addressed to me have gone missing. Both had one thing in common: chips.

We started traces on both packages, but so far nothing. One package has been “in Memphis” for 2 weeks, the other for 5 days. Both were priority / overnight packages.

I finally got a hold of a customer service agent who was willing to divulge more than the others. He said Memphis (FedEx’s hub) has been overrun with issues since covid, and they can’t hire people fast enough.

My theory is that new employees who inspect international packages are mistaking the chips for live chips and potentially stealing them. Of course, that’s a drastic assumption, but given how reliable FedEx has been for me over the years, it’s potentially valid.

I would love it if the community could keep its eye out for any of these chips being sold on Facebook, eBay etc:

- Le Cove $20s (1 rack)
- Aztar secondary hundos (2 racks)
- Le Cove $500 (1 rack)
- Empress Joliet Primary $1k (1 rack)

I’m currently out almost $5,000 because I had the Canadian sender underestimate the value in the declaration form, for obvious reasons. The UK sender declared the full value.

Just a real bummer. There are traces initiated by FedEx, hopefully something shows up soon, but I’m not holding my breath.

The Iceberg Club and its members will keep an eye out!

Sucks that this happened :mad: hope you get back whats rightfully yours and that it's only a shipping delay of some sort....

Sorry to hear man. That is terrible. And they had always been so good too. I hope they figure it out. I am sure we will all be keeping an eye out. I know this is probably very obvious to you, but I would be keeping an eye out on local Craigslist etc.

Sorry to hear man. That is terrible. And they had always been so good too. I hope they figure it out. I am sure we will all be keeping an eye out. I know this is probably very obvious to you, but I would be keeping an eye out on local Craigslist etc.
I’m keeping an eye out in Memphis, because I believe they’ve been intercepted at the main hub there — both packages were scanned into Memphis, and then…nothing.

Thats rubbish to hear. Perhaps the packages are still in transit/holding?

I have shipped a ton of stuff from UK to USA and the time does vary quite drastically (from 1 week to nearly 2 months), but in your case these are priority items which is a bit concerning.

Recently had an overnight package get stuck there for days with no updates. It was probably a week total or so. It eventually arrived at its destination but while it was off the grid there were zero updates, information etc.
Hope yours packages are in the same black hole and ultimately arrive.

Thanks for flagging Krish and sorry to hear. I was going to use them to ship close to 2000 chips to the UK. Maybe I shouldn’t. Pls keep us updated!

@JeepologyOffroad
Maybe split them up? Increases shipping, but simplifies customs and means some might get through.

Mail theft is scummy. I feel your pain. I currently have a bunch of samples that have gone missing and a package that is still showing that its on its way to its next destination for a month now. Ive pretty much given up hope at this stage especially since there was originally 2 boxes that were sent at the same time and 1 arrived over three weeks ago and the other well is somewhere in Chicago. My chips aren't as pricey as yours but if anyone sees any listings for some Yakamas let me know.

Screenshot_20210701-212233_USPS Mobile.jpg

I hope for you and anyone else that has chips that are currently missing in transit that they eventually show up.

I’m keeping an eye out in Memphis, because I believe they’ve been intercepted at the main hub there — both packages were scanned into Memphis, and then…nothing.
Imagine the next poor fellow from Memphis who joins PCF and the responses to his “check in and introduction” post.

It’s a limited market and so many of us have feelers out there in so many common as well as odd places that I hope these turn up for you (if they don’t turn up directly from FedEx).

I feel your pain and hopefully, they'll be on the move again shortly. It makes my blood boil and does seem too easy for people in the logistics industry to steal/redirect packages. I assume that if there was an easy fix, the companies would have implemented it :(

It's not just FedEx - this USPS package looks to have been stolen at/after drop off. They weren't even marked as any form of implied cash value e.g. poker chips.

1625140244776.png

I just know the boat chips were sold down the pub for five bucks :eek::vomit::cry:

It depend where your chip are from too, it took me like 6 weeks to received my goods from USA and the USPS still indicating the item is in transit even tot i have received the items

Give it a few more weeks, your chips may still show up at your doorstep

I'm convinced my $2400 package that I sent through UPS was stolen in the Portland OR facility.

Worst part is they didn't even pay half on my claim.

If anyone sees the following Grand Victoria Primaries let me know:
300+ $100 chips
200+ $500 chips
101 $1,000 chips
I think I had a few buttons in there too.

I wish I had the time to take them to court as it pisses me off so bad that it clearly went missing in their facility but won't pay out in full because of a technicality. They stated they won't pay out over $1,000 for anything that is dropped off at a UPS store as they aren't affiliated with them.

So anyone using UPS please be sure to either have a UPS driver pick up or make sure to drop off at an actual UPS location.

Better yet, just drive your vehicle through their front door, tell them Sprouty sent you.

I'd say that with regards to international shipping at the moment, things are taking a lot longer than usual — but you just wouldn't expect that to be the case with a global courier, even if a priority package takes a couple of days longer than advertised (I had that exact problem with FedEx to the USA recently).

However, I'd say that with everything we've established about that Memphis branch, it's probably wise — but a huge bummer — to hope for the best, but expect the worst (seems you're already of that mentality anyway).

Going forward, I'd recommend all UK and EU shippers to try and use DHL for bigger parcels where possible: very cheap, very reliable and very quick.

I've had problems with UPS and FedEx as of late. UPS hasve "lost" two smartwatches in a row that were sent second-day air. The delivery driver has shown up at my house twice now to do his "investigation". Each time he had some bs reason why it would be missing. I said it only looks bad for him. Both deliveries showed "out for delivery" and then changed to "On the Way" and then nothing. For FedEx, if anything goes through their Bloomington, CA facility, it has a high probability of coming up missing for me. If it's anything related to firearms, I can almost guarantee it will go missing. So, I got into the habit of making sure things are sent via USPS out of that area if I am able to

I'd say that with regards to international shipping at the moment, things are taking a lot longer than usual — but you just wouldn't expect that to be the case with a global courier, even if a priority package takes a couple of days longer than advertised (I had that exact problem with FedEx to the USA recently).

However, I'd say that with everything we've established about that Memphis branch, it's probably wise — but a huge bummer — to hope for the best, but expect the worst (seems you're already of that mentality anyway).

Going forward, I'd recommend all UK and EU shippers to try and use DHL for bigger parcels where possible: very cheap, very reliable and very quick.
I would also recommend DHL. It’s ridiculous how fast their express service is.
Also, I can’t believe people are declaring the actual value of the items. Blows my mind lol

In the last 2 weeks, 2 international FedEx packages from two different counties addressed to me have gone missing. Both had one thing in common: chips.

We started traces on both packages, but so far nothing. One package has been “in Memphis” for 2 weeks, the other for 5 days. Both were priority / overnight packages.

I finally got a hold of a customer service agent who was willing to divulge more than the others. He said Memphis (FedEx’s hub) has been overrun with issues since covid, and they can’t hire people fast enough.

My theory is that new employees who inspect international packages are mistaking the chips for live chips and potentially stealing them. Of course, that’s a drastic assumption, but given how reliable FedEx has been for me over the years, it’s potentially valid.

I would love it if the community could keep its eye out for any of these chips being sold on Facebook, eBay etc:

- Le Cove $20s (1 rack)
- Aztar secondary hundos (2 racks)
- Le Cove $500 (1 rack)
- Empress Joliet Primary $1k (1 rack)

I’m currently out almost $5,000 because I had the Canadian sender underestimate the value in the declaration form, for obvious reasons. The UK sender declared the full value.

Just a real bummer. There are traces initiated by FedEx, hopefully something shows up soon, but I’m not holding my breath.
Why underestimate the value from the Canadian sender? I know we Canadians get tagged hard with duty and taxes, but I don’t think I’ve heard anyone in the US say that they were.

I would also recommend DHL. It’s ridiculous how fast their express service is.
Also, I can’t believe people are declaring the actual value of the items. Blows my mind lol
DHL Express is ridiculously fast. They have over-performed every time I used them for an international devliery.

Why underestimate the value from the Canadian sender? I know we Canadians get tagged hard with duty and taxes, but I don’t think I’ve heard anyone in the US say that they were.

because if the box handler looks at the box and it says, “contents worth $5000”, it would be a much more tempting target to steal than if it said, “box of rocks, $10”

because if the box handler looks at the box and it says, “contents worth $5000”, it would be a much more tempting target to steal than if it said, “box of rocks, $10”
I have always been Hesitant to declare a hi value (and take insurance for a hi amount for this reason). Seems like an open door for somebody to walk right thru.

I have always been Hesitant to declare a hi value (and take insurance for a hi amount for this reason). Seems like an open door for somebody to walk right thru.
If it's fedex and their insurance is actually worth something, then I'd much rather take my chances with declaring the whole value (and being made whole, in the chance that it disappears) than underestimating and crossing my fingers.
If it's USPS (and my understanding is that their insurance isn't worth poop) I'm just declaring the full value every time, because I don't want to do jail time for mail fraud. I break my share of laws, and I guess it's always a risk/reward evaluation - I just don't like the risk end of that one.

I don't think it's a crazy assumption. I had something similar happen to me with the USPS. When I finally got to talk to somebody who escalated the issue, my chips were miraculously found, in the local PO. They had apparently been separated from their packaging by a malfunctioning machine. Right.
Although I think it's more likely that when somebody discovers the chips aren't live, they'll disappear into the nearest dumpster, there's always room for optimism.

The primary reason I asked the seller or my reshipper too undervalue the items is just too avoid the absolutely horrendous import tax that the german goverment takes. But it's also a good security measure I guess havent even thought about it but it makes a lot of sense...

I mean how would anyone outside of this forum know what these clay discs are worth? We are part of a very small hobby. If someone outside of this forum wants to argue with me how much these obsolete clay discs are worth I'll just ask them too show me a sale for exactly these items and then proof to me that I didn't just get a stellar deal. So if we just underestimate the value we should be fairly safe. + Why would I want to steal something that is worth absolutetly "nothing"?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom