Feasibility of cutting existing poker table into a folding table.

pbraves

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Found a very reasonably priced table locally, however, it's length is 95" and I'm ideally looking for 84". I'm not afraid to go DIY and I have access to a plethora of tools, I'm just unsure how to specifically make a sound folding table. The rail is T-nut attached and would come off easy enough. My idea is to: detach the rail, take off the existing felt, cut the base to the desired length, reupholster both sides with speed cloth. For the rail: Undo the staples in the area to be cut and about 6-8" past the cut. Cut the wood at the desired length leaving excess foam and vinyl to rewrap around the new ends. That part seems straightforward enough unless someone has a better idea. What I'm unsure of, and what Google didn't really provide, is how to provide adequate support for now two pieces of wood -- hinges don't seem like enough. Any ideas?

edit: promise to take pictures if I go through with it, hahah.
edit2: I texted the guy to buy the table. Wish me luck PCF

Last edited:

kmccormick100

Full House
Reaction score
Cut the table in half, leave the rail intact and just store it standing on its own? /Hang it on the wall. An intact 1pc rail will help the table feel more solid.

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
Found a very reasonably priced table locally, however, it's length is 95" and I'm ideally looking for 84". I'm not afraid to go DIY and I have access to a plethora of tools, I'm just unsure how to specifically make a sound folding table. The rail is T-nut attached and would come off easy enough. My idea is to: detach the rail, take off the existing felt, cut the base to the desired length, reupholster both sides with speed cloth. For the rail: Undo the staples in the area to be cut and about 6-8" past the cut. Cut the wood at the desired length leaving excess foam and vinyl to rewrap around the new ends. That part seems straightforward enough unless someone has a better idea. What I'm unsure of, and what Google didn't really provide, is how to provide adequate support for now two pieces of wood -- hinges don't seem like enough. Any ideas?

edit: promise to take pictures if I go through with it, hahah.
edit2: I texted the guy to buy the table. Wish me luck PCF
Your approach should work -- you just need to ensure that your new folding legs support each side of the center hinge/split area adequately.

Check out the Barrington tables on how they accomplish this for ideas on what you need.

Top Bottom