Favorite Sci-Fi Movies (1 Viewer)

Few folks have mentioned Dune.

Haven't seen/heard much about the new one. Hopefully it's better than the one with Sting. Recently watched that one again as I recently revisited my old HDDVD collection. What a turd of a movie. Forgot Patrick Stewart was in it. That was cool to see. He's looked the same for like 4 decades now.

I’m going to try mentioning some that others haven’t:
The Last Starfighter
Enemy Mine
Split Second
Tron
I, Robot
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
District 9
My Science Project
They Live
Flight of the Navigator
Buckaroo Banzai
Dreamscape
Starman
The Hidden
Innerspace
Alien Nation
The Core
Galaxy Quest
Lost in Space
Darkman
Freejack
Soldier
….and more I can’t think of right now.

So many movies. I'll just post my list in no particular order.

Alien & Aliens
Terminator & Terminator II
Total Recall
Predator
12 Monkeys
Planet of the Apes (original) I like all the subsequent films as well except the 2001 movie, which was a piece of shit.
Soylent Green
Bladerunner
Bladerunner 2049
Back to the Future I-III
The Matrix I-III
Nineteen Eighty-Four
Inception
Waterworld - Ulysses Cut
Westworld
Children of Men
Contact
Moon
The Hunger Games I-III
The Arrival
War of the Worlds
Star Wars IV-VI
Star Trek I-X
Edge of Tomorrow
Dark City
Jurassic Park
The Abyss
Stargate
The Lord of the Rings I-III
Close Encounters
Escape from New York
The Fly

Explorers (from when I was a kid)

I'm sure I forgot a bunch.

There’s a lot of “dice chip” sci-fi movies. The biggest problem of the book to movie thing in this genre is that the ideas and concepts of the best books are too big and rich to accurately depict in 2-3 hours of visuals. Typically you have to build a universe, then worlds, then societies, then plots and develop characters, all in two hours. Compared to some genres, for example westerns or Victorian novels, the worlds and societies are pretty much standard in them, you don’t have to “explain” a lot of the background.

I’m going to try mentioning some that others haven’t:
The Last Starfighter
Enemy Mine
Split Second
Tron
I, Robot
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
District 9
My Science Project
They Live
Flight of the Navigator
Buckaroo Banzai
Dreamscape
Starman
The Hidden
Innerspace
Alien Nation
The Core
Galaxy Quest
Lost in Space
Darkman
Freejack
Soldier
….and more I can’t think of right now.
Galaxy Quest is one of the best Star Trek movies ever made. I'm being completely serious.

Some favorites, in no particular order
I, Robot
Metropolis
Ex Machina
City of Lost Children
Galaxy Quest
Terminator
District 9
Edge of Tomorrow
Star Trek (2009)
Elysium
The Fly
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Martian
Starship Troopers
Arrival
Interstellar
A.I.
Idiocricy :)

Love good sci fi…no mention of Pitch Black
1626231556412.jpeg

Star Wars
Star Treks
Fifth Element
Blade Runners
They Live
Guardians of the Galaxy
Stargate
Time Bandits
Matrix(s)
Terminators
Starship Troopers
Tron (both)

The Arrival

While I do love a coked up Charlie Sheen and aliens film and I did actually like this movie, I bet you probably meant Arrival. Which is a top 3 all time film for me. The director, Villeneuve is ma favorite, and I would argue the best working director. Very film he has made has been terrific. Can’t wait for Dune.

75593802-3BED-4F24-9D88-10FEEC807439.jpeg

Explorers (from when I was a kid)

AI have never looked at a tilt-a-whirl since and not thought about this move.

I think Rendezvous with Rama (just the first one) is one of his best works. It would make an interesting visual spectacle as a movie, but they'd have to inject some excitement and drama as it really doesn't have any.
I remember reading it and thinking it would be cool if there was a bumper sticker on the back that said “just passing through” :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

While I do love a coked up Charlie Sheen and aliens film and I did actually like this movie, I bet you probably meant Arrival. Which is a top 3 all time film for me. The director, Villeneuve is ma favorite, and I would argue the best working director. Very film he has made has been terrific. Can’t wait for Dune.

View attachment 735972

AI have never looked at a tilt-a-whirl since and not thought about this move.
I did actually mean The Arrival with Sheen, it's not great but it's a personal favorite for me. Remember watching this on HBO back in the day.

Arrival is a great movie I oddly left off. Watching Prisoners tomorrow coincidentally enough. Never seen it and I am a fan of Villeneuve :)

I did actually mean The Arrival with Sheen, it's not great but it's a personal favorite for me. Remember watching this on HBO back in the day.

Arrival is a great movie I oddly left off. Watching Prisoners tomorrow coincidentally enough. Never seen it and I am a fan of Villeneuve :)
Yeah it’s a good movie and a good concept plus some quality Sheen. I didn’t think there was anyone else out there who liked it. I love these B level sci-fi films. They are almost always entertaining to me and pleasant surprises when I stumble across them.

The Thing is my favorite.

Nice to see Donnie Darko mentioned, along with Highlander.

Hate to be pedantic - but as of now, the first Blade Runner film is now considered Historical Fantasy. I'm sorry, players! (Still in my top 3)

Rumors keep circulating for the last 20 years about a remake of Logan's Run. I hope it doesn't shit the bed.

Good call on Dark City- spectacular movie that none of the mouth breathers ever went to see.

@softchewy Superb call on Metropolis- the OG of sci-fi.

@Talrem Great b movie list from the 80's....much love.

But none of you western, capitalistic, cowboy whores listed mother Russia's greatest sci-fi art film though. And DADDY IS DISAPPOINTED;
Stalker.

or Altered States.

Or Videodrome.

Or Scanners.

Or Dead Ringers.

But a really weird/ cool movie that you've never seen is Enemy (2013).

And The Call of Cthulhu (2005). Such a great film made by a fan society. Yet to be topped by the prostitutes in Hollywood.....
I know @Windwalker has some themed chips. I imagine he's seen this ...

Last edited:
Oh, and since we're on the cosmic horror....don't forget The Lighthouse with Dafoe and Pattinson.

(That's Batman and Green Goblin for you comic book fans...)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom