Favorite Sci-Fi Movies (1 Viewer)

Pretty much everything mentioned, plus (some of these stray across the lines a bit, or a lot)
Mars Attacks
Escape from New York

Fantastic Planet
The Fountain
The Hidden
Idiocracy
Phantasm
Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan

Stargate
They Live
Total Recall (1990)

12 Monkeys
Wall-E
Damn. Add these to my list too.

Not sure if these are all considered Sci-Fi (but they come up as that in my imdb list, so...)
  • 12 Monkeys
  • Donnie Darko
  • District 9
  • Dark Skies
  • Arrival
  • Inception
  • Ex Machina
  • Europa Report
  • Chronicle
  • Alien
  • Screamers
  • Tron
  • Apollo 18
  • Midnight Special
  • Lucy
I could go on.

I still love 2010 as a sequel to 2001. It’s not as cinematic and a bit dated, but a well done adaptation of A.C. Clarke’s book.

Her with Joaquin Phoenix. Sci Fi drama.

Children of Men.

Dark Mirror series on Netflix. Sci Fi meets modern-day Twilight Zone.

The Matrix 1 (even if it hasn't aged well)

I don't think I've watched The matrix since the theater in highschool when it came out (I'm so old :( ) so im curious, what do you mean it hasn't aged well? The content or the movie style itself or?

American Beauty was one of my favorite movies for life when it came out, and still is in some ways if I think of it as year 1999 me watching it-but man, so much of that movie makes my face hot it's so campy at some points watching it now.

Not a big movie person and most certainly not a sci-fi/horror fan, but I love me some Donnie Darko.

Also, Pan's Labyrinth isn't considered sci-fi/horror, is it? If by chance it is I think those two are my list.

I don't think I've watched The matrix since the theater in highschool when it came out (I'm so old :( ) so im curious, what do you mean it hasn't aged well? The content or the movie style itself or?

American Beauty was one of my favorite movies for life when it came out, and still is in some ways if I think of it as year 1999 me watching it-but man, so much of that movie makes my face hot it's so campy at some points watching it now.
1999 in high school means you’re old?!?
Jeez, I must be dead.

I don't really consider Star Wars sci-fi for my purposes. It's more fantasy. Though I do enjoy the original trilogy and Revenge of the Sith. All the rest of it, especially The Last Jedi, are garbage.
As a huge fan of the fantasy genre. How dare you :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I do not know if fantasy counts?

I am mad about Highlander, always was always will be

I love BSG and Star Wars

If you ask about serious Sci fi the Interstellar was most memorable in recent years, love the plot and music, favourite scene is "Drone pursuit"

PS.

Highly recommend Roger Zelezny "Chronicles of Amber", hardcore fantasy, beats Tolkien for me

Fun fact
When first time seen Matrix in Warsaw cellphones were pretty rare in Poland.
The moment Neo dial the number someone's in the audience phone started ringing, everybody was laughing hard. One in a lifetime moment

How about
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
It’s on HBO Max for streaming :tup:

My list would be long, but for some reason when I hear "sci-fi", my first thought is always Forbidden Planet.

Trekky here. Seen them all. Star Trek 4 (OS) needs on the list as do the first 2 JJ Abrams reboots.

The best Trek story was Star Trek 1...what an idea.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - classic sci-fi
Chronicles of Riddick - heavy action flick with sci-fi elements
The Man from Earth - 'narrative' sci-fi. Low budget, no SFX, just dialog. If you watch this, do not watch the sequel, it is shockingly terrible
Pandorum - horror-esque in a sci-fi setting. One of my favorite movies even though I do not enjoy horror movies, because it's artfully crafted
Stargate - the movie that spawned my favorite sci-fi franchise (the other two Stargate movies are okay in context but not really standalone films)
Upgrade - Surprisingly good low budget sci-fi. Violent and dark

A few on my 'to watch' list:
Kin-dza-dza!
Frequency
Source Code

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - classic sci-fi
Chronicles of Riddick - heavy action flick with sci-fi elements
The Man from Earth - 'narrative' sci-fi. Low budget, no SFX, just dialog. If you watch this, do not watch the sequel, it is shockingly terrible
Pandorum - horror-esque in a sci-fi setting. One of my favorite movies even though I do not enjoy horror movies, because it's artfully crafted
Stargate - the movie that spawned my favorite sci-fi franchise (the other two Stargate movies are okay in context but not really standalone films)
Upgrade - Surprisingly good low budget sci-fi. Violent and dark

A few on my 'to watch' list:
Kin-dza-dza!
Frequency
Source Code
Spaced Stargate. The OG is a spectacular movie.

I'm a bit fan of horror and sci fi movies and I was just trying to think of my favorite Sci-Fi Movies. Most of mine deal with more hard Sci-Fi, as I'm not a fan of space opera and excessive politics in my Sci-Fi. What about you?

So some of my favs are the thinky stuff like:

Primer
Annihilation
Ex Machina
Arrival
Solaris
Coherence
The Endless
Contact
Interstellar

Just curious, were you referring to the original Solaris by Tarkovsky? Or the Soderbergh one? Definitely check out the original one if you have the chance. Also, FWIW both of these films come the closest to portraying an acid trip in any film I have ever seen. And they weren’t even trying to (or maybe Tarksovsky was).

It seems like I have the same preference in non fantasy meta sci-fi as you and @raynmanas. I love film and this is by far my favorite genre.

Last edited:
A lot of great movies have already been mentioned. Awesome list. I really liked District 9. That really took me for a ride. I wasn't expecting much going into it but the film worked on so many layers and it was shot really well. I'm secretly hoping they continue on with it.

Oh and no one mentioned Robocop?!

A list would be impossible since I tend to watch anything SciFi/Fantasy and is my go to genre.

A short list of my guilty pleasure, repeat watches:
The Fifth Element
Guardians of the Galaxy
Stargate
Wrath of Khan
and probably not very high on anyones list: Bicentennial Man

On the meta sci-fi side...
  • Under the Skin
  • Sphere
Under the Skin is an incredible look through the eyes of a foreign being on its terms. It’s unnerving, creepy, scary, and enlightening in an incredibly unique way. If you need a lot of dialogue you should avoid this one. But this is a must watch for any meta sci-fi fan.

On the meta sci-fi side...
  • Under the Skin
  • Sphere
Under the Skin is an incredible look through the eyes of a foreign being on its terms. It’s unnerving, creepy, scary, and enlightening in an incredibly unique way. If you need a lot of dialogue you should avoid this one. But this is a must watch for any meta sci-fi fan.
I remember watching Sphere and Abyss as a kid and they blew my mind.

Some additional meta movies that most consider sci-fi

• Sunshine of a Spotless Mind
  • Melancholia
  • Children of Men
  • Another Earth
  • Circle
  • Exam
  • Cube
  • Upstream Color

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom