Favorite Sci-Fi Movies (1 Viewer)

I'm a bit fan of horror and sci fi movies and I was just trying to think of my favorite Sci-Fi Movies. Most of mine deal with more hard Sci-Fi, as I'm not a fan of space opera and excessive politics in my Sci-Fi. What about you?

So some of my favs are the thinky stuff like:

Primer
Annihilation
Ex Machina
Arrival
Solaris
Coherence
The Endless
Contact
Interstellar
The Day the Earth Stood Still - 1951
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 1956
2001 : A Space Odyssey - 1968
Westworld - 1973
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 1977
Alien - 1979

YES YES YES YES YES!!!

https://www.ign.com/articles/dune-director-rendezvous-with-rama-movie

Screenshot_20211216-051605_Samsung Internet.jpg

I saw this yesterday too but had to look up the story. Have you read it?

Arrival is a top 3 all time film for me. The layers and complexity of that story and the way in which he tells it are incredible. The basic synopsis of this story seem straightforward, but given the writer I would assume the scale, depth, and complexity are much more grand.

“Rendezvous With Rama is a 1973 sci-fi novel by Arthur C. Clarke (2001: A Space Odyssey), and it centers on a group of explorers who intercept and explore an alien spaceship. Villeneuve has explored alien contact in the past with his movie, Arrival, and will likely bring his grand-scale vision of sci-fi here as well.”

Last edited:
I saw this yesterday too but had to look up the story. Have you read it?

Arrival is a top 3 all time film for me. The layers and complexity of that story and the way in which he tells it are incredible. The basic synopsis of this story seem straightforward, but given the writer I would assume the scale, depth, and complexity are much more grand.

“Rendezvous With Rama is a 1973 sci-fi novel by Arthur C. Clarke (2001: A Space Odyssey), and it centers on a group of explorers who intercept and explore an alien spaceship. Villeneuve has explored alien contact in the past with his movie, Arrival, and will likely bring his grand-scale vision of sci-fi here as well.”
I read it years ago. Really good story however… It is the biggest anticlimax in sci-fi :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I know that there were a few sequels but I didn’t bother with them.

I read it years ago. Really good story however… It is the biggest anticlimax in sci-fi :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I know that there were a few sequels but I didn’t bother with them.

Oh boy. That doesn’t sound fun.

Actually just went and tried to find ending spoilers. I may be ok with that. But DV can take some liberties I am sure. I wonder who is doing the screenplay and if that will tell us anything about how loose it will be interpreted.

Oh boy. That doesn’t sound fun.

Actually just went and tried to find ending spoilers. I may be ok with that. But DV can take some liberties I am sure. I wonder who is doing the screenplay and if that will tell us anything about how loose it will be interpreted.
It's not an anti-climax per say. It's just that there isn't a really danger driving the plot. There is not bad guy or anything. It just kind of ends. It's very much like what Arrival would be like without the bad military and China plot.

They will have to add something, and they should. And given how Arrival turned out, it should be totally fine and not affect the core idea of the story which is exploration and discovery of something totally alien.

The sequel are indeed meh. The 2nd book is okay. 3rd is where it becomes bad.

It's not an anti-climax per say. It's just that there isn't a really danger driving the plot. There is not bad guy or anything. It just kind of ends. It's very much like what Arrival would be like without the bad military and China plot.

They will have to add something, and they should. And given how Arrival turned out, it should be totally fine and not affect the core idea if the store which is exploration and discovery of someone totally unknown.

The sequel are indeed meh. The 2nd book is okay. 3rd is where it becomes bad.

Yeah I just went and read a little about the book ending. I wasn’t sure if I should get into it here, but I am totally fine with stories that don’t have a definitive ending or don’t have traditional hero/villain conflict etc. Some of my favorite films leave a lot of questions or have atypical arcs.

I wonder how closely DV works with the screenplay writer (because DV doesn’t do it himself). The Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang (basis for Arrival) is just a short story and there are significant elements added from the original story to the movie. I wonder how much of that was DV and how much of it was the screenwriter. The screenwriter for Arrival hasn’t done a lot of, or really any, notable other work. I wonder if DV was really pushing the concepts and his screenwriters just execute? So the story is really being driven by DV?

Rendezvous with Rama is an exceptional novel and the Ramans do things in threes so naturally there are 4 books in the series as a trilogy would have been predictable. The reason why the story deteriorates with the 2nd book onwards is that Clarke has less and less to do with the writing and most was done by Gentry Lee. The thing I find most enjoyable about Rendezvous with Rama is that there is no villain or danger and it's pure science fiction, exploration and discovery. Gentry Lee tried to add in the villain in the sequels which made them far less appetizing.

Yeah I just went and read a little about the book ending. I wasn’t sure if I should get into it here, but I am totally fine with stories that don’t have a definitive ending or don’t have traditional hero/villain conflict etc. Some of my favorite films leave a lot of questions or have atypical arcs.

I wonder how closely DV works with the screenplay writer (because DV doesn’t do it himself). The Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang (basis for Arrival) is just a short story and there are significant elements added from the original story to the movie. I wonder how much of that was DV and how much of it was the screenwriter. The screenwriter for Arrival hasn’t done a lot of, or really any, notable other work. I wonder if DV was really pushing the concepts and his screenwriters just execute? So the story is really being driven by DV?
The good thing is I don't think a lot needs to be done to RWR like with Arrival. RWR is going to be mostly about the visuals and the sense of wonder. I think there is less heavy lifting in terms of story in RWR than in Arrival or Dune.

They will definitely end up spicing up the characters somehow, as the ones in RWR basically have nothing interesting about them. The story is just not about them at all. And I hope they don't really inject too much there to be honest. RWR is not a character based story.

I trust DV to not try to start explaining things in RWR. It's supposed to be about not comprehending something so totally alien. And I think the message should be just how little we could really understand. Much like in Annihilation.

The good thing is I don't think a lot needs to be done to RWR like with Arrival. RWR is going to be mostly about the visuals and the sense of wonder. I think there is less heavy lifting in terms of story in RWR than in Arrival or Dune.

They will definitely end up spicing up the characters somehow, as the ones in RWR basically have nothing interesting about them. The story is just not about them at all. And I hope they don't really inject too much there to be honest. RWR is not a character based story.

I trust DV to not try to start explaining things in RWR. It's supposed to be about not comprehending something so totally alien. And I think the message should be just how little we could really understand. Much like in Annihilation.

Well I am already on chapter 4 of the audio book as of this morning!

Don’t get me wrong I really liked it. The ending was a bit meh. If it was written today the final chapter would have been called “Sat Nav told me to go this way” :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Best worst sci fi film ever is Dracula 3000. It's Dracula in a spaceship. It's got Erika Eleniah from bay watch in it as a sex bot assassin and Coolio. And the film ends with the space ship blowing up. You would think I have spoiled the ending by saying this but I was told this before watching it and when it happens you still don't expect it and are still like wtf the spaceship just blew up.

Best worst sci fi film ever is Dracula 3000. It's Dracula in a spaceship. It's got Erika Eleniah from bay watch in it as a sex bot assassin and Coolio. And the film ends with the space ship blowing up. You would think I have spoiled the ending by saying this but I was told this before watching it and when it happens you still don't expect it and are still like wtf the spaceship just blew up.
I have never heard of this and it’s now on my “must watch” list :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

This is really interesting news. Probably 15 years ago (I'd have to look up the date to know for sure), the non-profit research organization that I worked for at the time (and still am affiliated with) hosted Morgan Freeman for 2/3 of a day. He had been put in contact with us to explore the possibility of us doing the science consulting for a film version of Rendezvous that he wanted to produce.

At the time, I was involved in a project looking for slow-moving natural objects in the outer solar system (trans-Neptunian objects, or TNOs) and spent ten minutes with him describing how Rama, on it's way into the solar system, would probably appear very much like one of those to astronomers on Earth.

We know that he was never able to get a script together and the project stalled, but that didn't stop me from reading the article to see if Morgan was involved. :cry:

[P.S. to the story, he flew his own plane here, and there was a few hours after his official visit when he had to wait for his planned departure clearance. The office took him to dinner at a local-favorite Mexican restaurant, but the most memorable part was the close to two hour free-form open table... conversation (for lack of a better term) with 10-12 of us and him. I remember many bases were covered, he was gracious with his time and we all had a very remarkable time. I need to dive into some old hard drives and find the picture I have of me explaining astronomical moving-object detection to him. He had rapt attention to my demonstration, and you can almost sense the giddy joy I had getting to do that.]

Last edited:

Ok so I finished RWR and I loved it. This is exactly the kind of hard sci-fi that I like. I know this is a film thread, but I am moving from films into books and catching the books that were the sources of these films I loved had been a lead in. I would like to find books in the same vein as the hard type sci-fi (space, alien, and time travel are particular favorite sub genres) as RWR, Arrival (The Story of Your Life), Annihilation, etc?

I see that Nebula and Hugo award nominated and winning books is a great place to look. But I am curious about yours or other recommendations…

Ok so I finished RWR and I loved it. This is exactly the kind of hard sci-fi that I like. I know this is a film thread, but I am moving from films into books and catching the books that were the sources of these films I loved had been a lead in. I would like to find books in the same vein as the hard type sci-fi (space, alien, and time travel are particular favorite sub genres) as RWR, Arrival (The Story of Your Life), Annihilation, etc?

I see that Nebula and Hugo award nominated and winning books is a great place to look. But I am curious about yours or other recommendations…
Most recent Nebula and Hugo winners and nominees are space operas. Sci Fi like RWR is hardee to come by these days. I highly recommend the first Ringworld. The sequels are not so good.

Anybody else watching Armageddon on this Historic evening?
View attachment 994516
Totally watched the DART program and it's succes and had to throw in some good Ole Afleck!
I was streaming it at work, and jumping and giggling like a 13 year old school-girl once Didymos was clear and we went screaming by it at 4 miles per second. Had no desire for the Hollywood version of planetary defense - real life was much cooler. :cool

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom