Favorite poker game that’s not so popular (1 Viewer)

@BPB

16374299924686047777125563395203.jpg

It was one of this year's WSOP Vlogs, nad not a straight dedicated strategy video.

I'm a D'Negs fan, but even I had to quit watching the vlog. I can only take so much gratuitous self-promotion, and bemoaning of bad beats. The advertisements for shirts and home-delivered meals, despite him saying "I'm not getting paid a million dollars to say this". Sorry bud, when your vlog says 'order with the promo code DNEGS20', I'm betting an awful lot that you are getting paid.

I can't point to which one he discusses 2-7 though, but if you cross referenced the WSOP schedule with hid vlogs, you'll see it. I however, cannot recommend it, since it was literally the same stuff I knew at 11.
He didn’t say he wasn’t getting paid. He said he wasn’t getting paid millions. His affiliate revenue for each product that he shills for is only a few hundred thousand so technically what he’s saying is correct. He’s a man of integrity!

My buddies and I usually play dealer’s choice for our small stakes home games. Here’s one:

It’s a Hi/Lo/Sweep game – antes, bets, Hi/Lo, Declaration/Showdown per house preferences/rules.

Players are dealt all their cards* face down and are NOT allowed to look at them (they are allowed to square up/stack and re-arrange blindly if they choose). With their own cards, one card at a time, each player will be showing/making two hands down on the table in front of them. A Low Hand, slightly to the left of player’s center, and a High Hand, slightly to the right of player’s center.

(* You can also choose to deal one card per player per round instead of all the cards at once.)

Each round, players pick up their top cards, look at them, and decide which of their hands to assign them to. Then simultaneously (on a count or on your honor), they place their cards face up* on the table, adding that card to either their Low or High hands. Then there is a round of betting (highest High Hand showing starts the betting or if everyone has built Low, then left of the dealer). Then onto the next card/round.

(* Players are allowed to hide (face down) One and only one card per side – so one card in each player’s Low Hand may be hidden and one card in each player’s High Hand may be hidden – player’s choice which card or in which round to hide – down card on each side can be hidden during different rounds.)

After the final cards are placed on the table, there is one last round of betting and then Declare/Showdown.

Number of players/cards will impact what formations you can play – e.g. 3-3 (3 card Low & 3 card High) is 6 cards per person, 2-5 (2 card Low & 5 card High) is 7 per, 3-5 is 8 per, 5-5 is 10, etc. If you happen to like the game and want to explore or mix it up, you can also do stuff like make it 2-1-2, 2-1-4 or 4-1-4 where the middle card plays both Low and High (you can hide one on each side OR just the middle card). You can also add wilds (e.g. down card(s) is wild).

Name of the game is usually the split of the cards for Low/High – e.g. “Three Five” or “Five Five” but the game is also sometimes called or referred to as “Regret”, “Shoulda Woulda Coulda”, and “that fuc&ing game”… :D

A 4 handed 3-3 might look like:

20211120_121651 b.jpg

3-5
20211120_121345 b.jpg

NLHE is the only thing I can get people to play with me.
Have always wondered about creating a three-card hold'em where you get three cards, then the flop is just two.

NLHE is the only thing I can get people to play with me.
Have always wondered about creating a three-card hold'em where you get three cards, then the flop is just two.
^^ discarding that 3rd hole card before the flop is Pineapple, discarding that 3rd hole card after the flop is Crazy Pineapple. Good gateway games into the world of mixed games.

^^ discarding that 3rd hole card before the flop is Pineapple, discarding that 3rd hole card after the flop is Crazy Pineapple. Good gateway games into the world of mixed games.
I played crazy online yesterday. BORE to the RING. It played very tight....lots of limping until someone had the nuts, then they overbet and everybody folded.

I got hooked on razz for a while but could never get a decent game going. Still enjoy it but everyone in my area wants to play stud or hold em.

Played in a dealers choice game last weekend and I went in expecting it to be some Holdem, Omaha, 7 Card Stud, 5 Card draw etc.... Half the games called were variations of 3 card "Guts" type games. Some of the games had wild cards, some were lowball (which was my favorite of the Guts games) If you lost the hand, you had to match the pot... but thankfully a max limit was established.

Overall, it was ok to play those games but would not be my preference. Didn't feel like real poker to me as there really wasn't bluffing opportunities to be had. You either got the cards or you didn't.

I got introduced to Guts games in high school - and it was a very expensive introduction! In fact, people still talk about the number of IOU's I had floating around our group of friends - LOL SMH (intro to Guts + no max = bad juju!)

Some of the Guts games we play/played:

2 card high
3 card high
3 card low
3 card low with a draw

Rat - 3 card high with a draw, 2's and 3's are wild

Tony's Game - 5 card low with a draw, highest card in the hand after the draw is wild
Tony's Revenge - 4 card low with a mandatory draw, 7's are wild, must draw at least one card(!)

Larry - additional player who comes IN if only one person stays in the pot (so a player always has to beat at least one other hand to win the pot). If a player loses to Larry, he/she matches the pot (up to the "max bop" amount). Larry is dealt after the solo player completes all his/her actions.

Wilbur - additional player who is IN Every Hand, regardless of how many people stay IN (so a player always has to beat at least one other hand). If Wilbur has the highest hand, everyone who was IN matches the pot (up to the "max bop" amount) - if Wilbur isn't the highest hand, nothing changes, high hand takes pot and everyone else matches. Wilbur hand is dealt after the dealer's and acts after everyone else is done.

Larry Wilbur (both of the above together) - e.g. "guts low larry wilbur" (so a player always has to beat at least 2 other hands) - you can choose to add Larry or Wilbur or both.

Choose Your Game Larry or Choose Your Game Larry Wilbur - 5 card high guts with a draw (4 cards in hand and 1 community card) - while dealing, any time After everyone has received their first card, someone calls out "Larry" (even if accidental or unintentional) and the dealer flips the next card face up in the middle (community card) - if no one calls "Larry" during the then the next card after the dealer's 4th/last card is flipped up (and dealer can't call Larry). That card determines what game is to be played (if it's an A or 2, AceyDeucey, Aces and 2's are wild; 3 or 9, baseball, 3's and 9's are wild; 4, 4's only wild; 5 or 10, five and dime, if you have at least one of each then both are wild, otherwise neither are (so e.g. if the community card is a 5, you would need a 10 in your hand for them both to be wild); 6's, 6's only Or 6's and 9's wild (Bill and Ted); 7's only; 8's only; Jack - Jacks and low, Jacks and your lowest card are wild - but you have to declare your low before the draw (if you draw and draw under your declared low, you lose your wild and only Jacks are wild for you); Queen - Queens and follow, Queens and any other card value are wild, declare wild before the draw (can't lose your wild); King - Kingsey Low, Kings and your low card after you draw are wild, no need to declare a wild before drawing.

When comparing equal hands in our wild games, more natural wins.

Last edited:
I got introduced to Guts games in high school - and it was a very expensive introduction! In fact, people still talk about the number of IOU's I had floating around our group of friends - LOL SMH (intro to Guts + no max = bad juju!)

Some of the Guts games we play/played:

2 card high
3 card high
3 card low
3 card low with a draw

Rat - 3 card high with a draw, 2's and 3's are wild

Tony's Game - 5 card low with a draw, highest card in the hand after the draw is wild
Tony's Revenge - 4 card low with a mandatory draw, 7's are wild, must draw at least one card(!)

Larry - additional player who comes IN if only one person stays in the pot (so a player always has to beat at least one other hand to win the pot). If a player loses to Larry, he/she matches the pot (up to the "max bop" amount). Larry is dealt after the solo player completes all his/her actions.

Wilbur - additional player who is IN Every Hand, regardless of how many people stay IN (so a player always has to beat at least one other hand). If Wilbur has the highest hand, everyone who was IN matches the pot (up to the "max bop" amount) - if Wilbur isn't the highest hand, nothing changes, high hand takes pot and everyone else matches. Wilbur hand is dealt after the dealer's and acts after everyone else is done.

Larry Wilbur (both of the above together) - e.g. "guts low larry wilbur" (so a player always has to beat at least 2 other hands) - you can choose to add Larry or Wilbur or both.

Choose Your Game Larry or Choose Your Game Larry Wilbur - 5 card high guts with a draw (4 cards in hand and 1 community card) - while dealing, any time After everyone has received their first card, someone calls out "Larry" (even if accidental or unintentional) and the dealer flips the next card face up in the middle (community card) - if no one calls "Larry" during the then the next card after the dealer's 4th/last card is flipped up (and dealer can't call Larry). That card determines what game is to be played (if it's an A or 2, AceyDeucey, Aces and 2's are wild; 3 or 9, baseball, 3's and 9's are wild; 4, 4's only wild; 5 or 10, five and dime, if you have at least one of each then both are wild, otherwise neither are (so e.g. if the community card is a 5, you would need a 10 in your hand for them both to be wild); 6's, 6's only Or 6's and 9's wild (Bill and Ted); 7's only; 8's only; Jack - Jacks and low, Jacks and your lowest card are wild - but you have to declare your low before the draw (if you draw and draw under your declared low, you lose your wild and only Jacks are wild for you); Queen - Queens and follow, Queens and any other card value are wild, declare wild before the draw (can't lose your wild); King - Kingsey Low, Kings and your low card after you draw are wild, no need to declare a wild before drawing.

When comparing equal hands in our wild games, more natural wins.
This sounds painful... I was introduced to guts not long ago, I didn't play a single hand lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom