Favorite chips for home game tournaments (1 Viewer)

rackemup2123

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I’m still a little ways off from purchasing my first “tournament” set, and I certainly understand that if I want one of great quality, I’m going to need to break the bank a little bit. In the meantime, are there any favorite brands/styles of chips the community prefers to use for their home game tournaments? What would you recommend for chips that initially may not cost a lot (possibly as a first set before a better, more expensive purchase), but still provide solid feel and quality? Of course everything is subjective, but curious to get some feedback on what everyone likes to use.

For a reasonably affordable medium/high quality set, I would also recommened Brpropoker ceramics. There are also china clays that sorta fit that description. Royals from @Apache come to mind. Those two and sunfly are basically what’s available retail. There is also classicpokerchips.com but that would probably count as leaving the reasonably affordable section.

Get samples!

I would recommend ceramics as well. My first set of customs were clay ASMs and with a lot of usage they get grimy and are not easy to clean. Clay definitely look the best but I opted for ceramics for my second custom set originally for the ease of cleaning them but then for the almost endless design options. That also includes size…as I went with 43mm chips to show off the artwork even more.

If I was looking for non-premium chips to start I'd definitely go with a cards mold set. They are inexpensove, colourful and there are a lot of cool pre-made sets that come up for sale often.

I replaced my loaner/camp set of Milanos with some and am very happy.
Cards Mold. There is plenty of information to search out.

I also replaced all my “China Clay” with Cards Mold, same as GrantC. I’m still working on sourcing another Cards Mold set, and have design plans for up to 3 additional sets. They are that good, IMHO. It’s all subjective to one’s tastes of course. My set has been put to use, 3 times, and you wouldn’t know it. Still feels the same as it did when I first got it.

If you can spend a bit extra, but not $20/chip etc etc….I’d start with CPC. Still my most valuable set in all of my collection. For the $$$, they offer great feel and looks. They are also very durable, as mine have hit the laminate deck, and not a mark to show. I’ve felted my CPC set a dozen times. For the $$$, nothing beats them when going off the per chip prices, IMHO.

Of course, the BR Pro and Sunfly recommendations are stellar options. I personally never liked them so I can’t make the suggestion. To each their own. I’ve sampled everything.

As someone who was just in your spot about 2 months ago, I'll share my limited insight.

Definitely get samples. Find a few options you like whether it's ceramics or china clays or CPCs and get a feel for what your money can get you.

I went in thinking China Clay's and ended up with ceramics because I much preferred the options and shuffling.

Card Molds were what I went with and couldn't be happier. I find they shuffle much better than any China clay or flat ceramic I tried and liked the options that were out there. For less money than most option I still prefered them to CPC Rounders, especially for 1/5 the price.

I would start with Cards Mold and then ceramics and then something like stock Rounders from CPC as a starting track.

You will learn a lot from different sets and what your taste is. Best to learn early and cheaper than jumping right I to a big dollar Paulson set or fully customized CPC set

I can't spend thousands on a set and then felt them. My players couldn't care less and are happy with China Clays.

Beginner sets are a waste of money. Load up your bank account and pull the trigger when you see a set of these high end plastics in the classifieds. Manufactured by Abbiati. :love:

88FAC903-E6F9-4708-9BE4-479EE6B5386C.jpeg

1692F816-BFDE-4FBC-A83D-7BA04E9D5482.jpeg

I’ll add my experiences to back up the opinions of others…

I went with a set of Tiki Kings from BR Pro Poker. They’re a nice chip in the hand and on the eye, and my crew love the plaques (as reward for rebuying :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:).

The cards molds are certainly a great option. Equivalent quality at half the price per chip of br pro but there are compromises… It takes months (vs. weeks) to get on a group buy, have them made and then shipped back from China etc. If you go it alone you’ll probably need to buy a bigger set to meet the minimums (maybe you want MTT) and even get them air freight, but then you are back to BR Pro money. You might find what you need in the classifieds here but then it’s about finding the right design/breakdown/price that you want - I was lucky enough to pick up a nice cash set of Aria’s that way.

For less money than most option I still prefered them to CPC Rounders, especially for 1/5 the price.
Great post!

I just can’t agree with the last bit. If one can afford the CPC, there is simply no close comparison to Cards Mold.

I agree there is no beating the “1/5 of CPC” price, but the two chips are WORLDS apart.

Definitely interested in Cards Mold chips. Will keep my eye out for the next group buy. Those Aria's look fantastic!!

If you don't have a huge budget, I think the Outlaw set is a great quality chip and all sorts of denoms are available. Get yourself a sample set and see what you think about the look and feel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom