Fat Tire Cash Chips... Design Discussion (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Ever since creating the Fat Tire tourney chips (which I love), I felt like they needed a cash chip companion. I'm very much torn here, as I already possess an epic set of Benny's (over 2000 chips) that fulfil all my cash chip needs (bankrolling 3 meetup cash tables nicely). That said, I'm trying to justify a Fat Tire cash set, and was hoping the mockups I've been toying with, would spark a "this set must be made" gut reaction. However, nothing I've mocked has yet spurred me to drop the $4K this set would require. For reference, I'll post a couple pics of the tourney set, then my latest mockup for the cash set. I'm not 100% decided on doing a cash set... At this point, my BR could fund it, but would be decimated. I could fund a good chunk of it by selling off the Benny's (gasp), but I don't really like that idea either.

1.JPG

Starting Stacks 2.JPG

My game plan (proposed breakdown) would include:

upload_2016-10-15_8-54-54.png

Here's the latest mockup. My goal is to keep with the neon/bright colors (inspired by the neon signs), and to utilize shaped (cog) inlays, for obvious tire/bike references. I like the canary quarter so far, and the base colors of the $1 and $5 are fairly well set IMHO. However, I'm open to suggestions, including spots/spot colors, and to some degree the base colors.

Where can I improve? What are your thoughts on this project?

FT Cash Mock A.png

I like the shaped inlay but the one thing that jumps out straight away is the silver circle needs to be inside the cogs so it is not getting broken up between cogs. It's a good start, I like it.

Looking good! You may need a bit more contrast on the canary chip. Justification? What's that? Do it!

Ill get a mock back in a few minutes. I think you have too much yellow/orange across the board for balance. If money is an issue as stated, you could sell off one table's worth of Benny's and get the best of both worlds.

Reactions: BNM
This is a 5 minute mock. No change to your spots. Canary frac is fine but throwing out DG arc yellow. I try to avois using the same colors on adjacent chips so that is driving this quick mock. I left the 5 alone but changed the 20/25 and 100 just to give you something else to look at. That said, I like a DG pink spot on your 1. It reeks of neon lights. There is no red in your set so I put Retro red on the hundo. Not sure if you like any of these and that is fine too. It's a quick mock.
Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 7.59.01 PM.png

I like the shaped inlay but the one thing that jumps out straight away is the silver circle needs to be inside the cogs so it is not getting broken up between cogs. It's a good start, I like it.

Inlay art is not completed. I simply used a tourney chip. The new art would obv fit better. :)

Why not go wirh a smaller set to start? A 500-600 chip set that will handle a 1 table game. Then you could add on to as money allows.

You'll still have the Benny's when you need a big multi table set.

Now that I looked at my mock again I don't like the arc yellow frac. maybe go crazy with a DG green base? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

That shaped inlay with your theme might just be the ONLY justification you need. It's like it was made for you! Ship it.

Trying out the DG Green quarter. I like the dollar with the yellow. The $5 chip, I keep going back and forth between green or DG peach.

Sorry, mate...just now seeing this thread. I love it when there's both cash and tourney chips in a theme, and you executed the tourney chips pretty successfully. No reason not to create a cash set, really, and especially if you're going to go with a cog-themed set all the way around - which you should. As for justification, that's the Staples (TM) Easy Button call of the week:

"I want them."

That's the alpha and omega right there. Now, lets move on.

A few things I see in this latest mock...
  • You have charcoal as a spot color in your final three chips. That probably needs tweaked.
  • You have charcoal as an X18 spot in a black base chip for your hundo. Having *just* looked at a black base chip with charcoal X18 spots literally five minutes ago, I'd recommend going with grey vs. charcoal for greater contrast w/the black base.
  • I think the 1 and 20 are your strongest chips so far, and the frac isn't far behind. Not sure if I'm entirely sold on the chip as a whole, but the spot pattern works, and I do like that green as a base. Could even go 214 if you wanted/needed to.
  • You say you're waffling between the green & DG Peach spot on the $5 chip. Not sure that using peach as a spot against DG Tiger is a good idea...not a great amount of contrast there.
  • Take care with your base color selection on the hundo - if you go pure black then you'll lose a little something with the cogs in the shaped inlay - they won't be as easy to see there.

One option on the last point of @Psypher1000's comment would be to consider using a white inlay instead of black for the hundo. That does clash with the lower denoms BUT given that it sits at the top of the food chain distinctiveness is not a bad thing. In fact it adds a bit of pizazz IMO. The ultimate would be to use an oversized chip but you won't meet the CPC minimums. That's one reason why I went with plaques for my top cash denom.

Now, if the black was in the middle of the pack I would say that having a white inlay with all the rest being black looks out of place. But it's not so don't be afraid to be different there.

One option on the last point of @Psypher1000's comment would be to consider using a white inlay instead of black for the hundo. That does clash with the lower denoms BUT given that it sits at the top of the food chain distinctiveness is not a bad thing. In fact it adds a bit of pizazz IMO. The ultimate would be to use an oversized chip but you won't meet the CPC minimums. That's one reason why I went with plaques for my top cash denom.

Now, if the black was in the middle of the pack I would say that having a white inlay with all the rest being black looks out of place. But it's not so don't be afraid to be different there.

I was thinking the same thing... Since the other inlays have a bit of silver in them, I was contemplating reversing the inlays, and have it primarily Silver with Black text, etc...

Have you shared pics of your set with New Belgium Brewing Co.?

I have no idea what you're talking about... :sneaky:

I do know there's a beer company that stole my theme, but it's a pretty small company, so I've heard.

I try to avois using the same colors on adjacent chips

I understand what you're saying, and I see the validity. However, I've always thought of having the same color spots as adjacent base colors as somewhat "coordinated". It doesn't rub me wrong, but I agree there has to be a significant difference in chip appearance so they don't get confused.

I like your mock in post 9 if you get rid of the charcoal spot on the 20. Having that color on 3 adjacent chips is a bit too much. Keep playing with it. You'll find the right combo soon enough. It will be a great set.

Not sure how much I like these, but I'm just throwing out different options.

FT Cash Mock C.png

or this

FT Cash Mock D.png

Taking from @stocky, @Psypher1000, and your suggestions.

Here, the base of each chip is used as a spot in the chip two up in the progression.
Canary base .25 is 14 spot in 5
DG Peacock base in 1 is 14 spot in 20
DG Tiger base in 5 is 18 spot in 100

8qpHG0u.png

Was leaning towards the canary frac w/ a tiger spot. The tourney set has the canary 1k with tiger spot, and the colors pop well with each other IMHO. Thoughts?

FT 1k.JPG

25c $1 several variations of the $5. Using DG Tiger as a base is hard on a $5 IMO because not many colors play nicely off such a vibrant base

bfe91d39-1794-4301-b6a6-f101a6280534.png

Have you considered the hub shape too? It's part of a bike too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom