Family game for poker noobs (3 Viewers)

Instead of using micro chips, I use regular denominations but just every $1 gets you $10 in chips. So it still feels like regular poker instead of a constant reminder it’s low stakes, but it’s a lot friendlier. $1/$2 with $200 buyins for $20 actual dollars. Runs well
I like this idea! I might do this.

The fun of this is it resembles a $1/$2 game in all but the actual money in and out. Since your set is set up with a great $1/$2 breakdown it should play very nicely.
I might even toss the quarters out, too. So I guess we'd be playing $0.025/$0.05.

Regarding $$$, tournament up dude! When people know they are capped at losing $10 or whatever, they are much more likely to write it off as a "fun loss" and show up. With cash games, even low-stakes, your losses are "immeasurable" which scares people.

Last edited:
I love tourneys but they don't make sense for this situation. People will be upset when they bust out and have to wait around. People want to play poker not watch others play poker, especial for noobs who may make ill advised calls or bets and get felted early. Set the limit low enough so that 3 rebuys is still under the limit of uncomfortable losses. I was exclusively a tournament player for a very long time going back to the days were most of the tournaments were limit tournaments at foxwoods, so I naturally tried to get the family to play tournament poker, well they hated it. They want action, and they want it from the first hand dealt to the last so a cash game it is. Now with my friend group, we only play tournaments, but these are seasoned vets who understand poker. I would rather play a tournament than a cash game but I know that for the family game it usually doesn't work out. I'm sure there are family games where people play tourneys so I know its not impossible but I think for a new group the cash game is a safer bet. Blinds stay the same, they can come and go as they please, and they can play all night if they choose.

We ended up playing cash. Everyone came in for about $10 and we played each chip's value as 1/10th its listed denomination. Great suggestion!

We played for about six hours and everyone seemed to have a good time. A few people busted, but always bought back in. There were a few really good teaching moments. Best part: I booked a win on my new chips!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom