Fake Paulson Classics? (2 Viewers)

Could it be a cleaning issue? Maybe some shit got on the chips and they just need a good scrub. If you want to send me a few barrels, I'll run them through the ultrasonic for you to see how they turn out.

Reactions: 72o
Could it be a cleaning issue? Maybe some shit got on the chips and they just need a good scrub. If you want to send me a few barrels, I'll run them through the ultrasonic for you to see how they turn out.
I am opting to try and return them to the vendor first because I'm so put off by them. If I end up stuck with them I would be grateful for this offer and take you up on it.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. They definitely look like they were cleaned too harshly and maybe there is some residue still on them? Try magic eraser and oil on one to see if anything changes? It is weird though.

How did Matt's chips turn out?

Mine were fine.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, a lot of sites will post a photo of the real thing and offering huge discount for volume purchase, but really your not going to get what you see in the photo. I'm referencing the Alibaba sale page i saw that had Paulson Knock off looking chips. And not the eBay sale where i purchased my chips.
They were my first "real" chip purchase. Very happy with them too. Some of my favorite feeling Paulson home market chips for sure. I prefer the feel of them to the other home market ones.

Did you watch that video? Is that normal for paulson chips to end up with that kind of texture??

looking at the photos in imagur, They have quite a few nicks, based on the "feel" you are getting from them, its possible they were pretty beat up and dirty, perhaps the previous owner gave them a very harsh clean and that may have altered the texture. Color may have altered from the cleaning too.

If still in doubt, send one to Apache with a paid return shipping envelope to check it out. I think he'd be able to tell you with 0.3 seconds of looking at the chip.

Good luck, but i don't think they are fake either.

The chips appear to be real to me. It is very unlikely that anybody has cloned the suits mold, and fakes won't have a real inlay (shaped or not).

To address the other issues:
  • The lighter colored yellow 1000 chips look to have been harshly cleaned and lost some color (may be able to restore by oiling).
  • The suspect chips appear to be used. Used chips will always be more slippery than chalky-new mint chips, no matter who produces them. These are no exception.
  • The suits mold is well-known to produce warped chips, which can cause the unstable stacks shown in the video. Baking to flatten them is the only solution.
Not fake, in my opinion.

BGinGA
chipaholic, plaqueophile, and certified chipes xbert

Do paulsons lose their friction coefficient after they're used or something?
In a word, yes - but that's not unique to Paulsons. Every chip not made out of titanium or some other similar substance will eventually become smoother/slippery with wear. Judging by the edges, those are indeed fairly well used for home chips - particularly the 1k's.

That particular mold will be just slightly more slippery than most due to the difference in surface area contact on that mold vs. other THC molds. There's more depressions in the suits mold, which means less surface. Less surface contact, less friction.

It's also worth noting that there were definitely variations between production runs, not just between colors, but between hardness/stickiness as well. I had a barrel of 5k's that were so sticky (even after thorough cleaning) that you could pick up half the barrel just by grabbing the one on top. It's almost like they weren't baked long enough.

They're just so so slippery compared to the other examples i have: I've got other WTHC and some classics and they are just night and day different. All my china clays are less slippery. It really detracts from the paulson feeling of the chips to have them be so slippery!

They're just so so slippery compared to the other examples i have: I've got other WTHC and some classics and they are just night and day different. All my china clays are less slippery. It really detracts from the paulson feeling of the chips to have them be so slippery!

Its strange, but they do seem pretty worm (for home game chips) from the pictures and this could really explain it.
Regardless of them being fakes or not it sucks that you are not happy with them. Hope you are able to fix this by sending them back to the seller, re-selling them, or that a good cleaning/oiling will help or something...

I hear ya on the different feel. I own a set of the first production run of the private cardroom hotstamped version of these. The private cardroom paulson's are very slippery and very unstable when stacked. I was a bit disappointed when i first got them. All the other Paulson chips I own are dead flat and stack very well. As well as having a more chalky feel. The thing the private cardroom chips got going for them is the design, edgespots and colors. Though they might not seem like it, I do believe those chips you have are the real deal.

Would over oiling the chips have that effect? Just a thought.

I hear ya on the different feel. I own a set of the first production run of the private cardroom hotstamped version of these. The private cardroom paulson's are very slippery and very unstable when stacked. I was a bit disappointed when i first got them. All the other Paulson chips I own are dead flat and stack very well. As well as having a more chalky feel. The thing the private cardroom chips got going for them is the design, edgespots and colors. Though they might not seem like it, I do believe those chips you have are the real deal.
Yeah, the thing is that I've got another example of the same chips and they have that dead flat chalky feel to them, so I'm at a loss right now. I am hopeful that the seller will take them back if I just toss 50-75 bucks in for his trouble seeing as everyone agrees they're real. I might try sending them to that member who offered to clean them to see if they regain the chalky feel but IDK.

I got sold fake world top hat and canes. They look perfect but feel ABS like and are clearly not real when you get them in hand. I'm hoping the person on the forum who sold them to me just didn't know but I think i might've just gotten burned for a serious amount of coin.

Hi,

I am the seller of the set of which 3betchet speaks.
At first I want to clarify that I could not answer earlier because I was at work all day.

I sold this set as well as two others: one has a member that you know surely and who received them today and who is very happy apparently: it is @MillyS (thank you for your rating, it’s my first one!) and the other to a PCF reader but is was by eBay, the third set was sold to 3BetChet.

The first two were in Mint Condition and the last in GC / USED, the one that was sold to 3betChet.

I sold this set to 3betchet specifying the condition of the set. Below the screen of my conversation with him in mp. If a moderator wants to put the entire conversation in mp, I'm in favor.

Second, I always clean my chips with an oily soap which makes them look brighter, which may explain the different color compared to the other 3betchet set, but mostly these chips have been used for long game so are a little more used, which I specified by conversation at 3betchet.
You will find below all the photos that I sent him and we see the quality of the chips on it.

I leave it to you to form your own opinion.

Momek

Attachments

• conversation with 3betchet.jpg
    conversation with 3betchet.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 366
  • a.JPG
    a.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_3758.JPG
    IMG_3758.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3803.JPG
    IMG_3803.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_3804.JPG
    IMG_3804.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_3808.JPG
    IMG_3808.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 302
If those are legit screen caps & the photos were shared ahead of time, there's nothing to see here. Buyer received goods as shown/described.
Agree 100%. This sounds more like a novice chipper who doesn't understand the significant differences that chip condition can make on sound/feel/appearance, and isn't aware of the inherent problems suffered by the suits mold:
I got sold fake world top hat and canes. They look perfect but feel ABS like and are clearly not real when you get them in hand. I'm hoping the person on the forum who sold them to me just didn't know but I think i might've just gotten burned for a serious amount of coin.

Agree 100%. This sounds more like a novice chipper who doesn't understand the significant differences that chip condition can make on sound/feel/appearance, and isn't aware of the inherent problems suffered by the suits mold:

That's what I think too but i'm not in trouble with 3betchet.
I'm sure it's an honest person!
I just ask him to delete the post where he said a member (talking about me) have sold fake WTHC.

Hello,
I have played 5 times with this chips and I help him to sort his big set to 3 different sets 2 mint/vgc and 1 set gc/used.
I confirm Momek's chips are real.
During his purchase, @3betChet didn't consider the condition of the chips.
@Momek is a serious and reliable member as a majority of the members of PCF.
I recommend Mo the Frenchy. ;)

I'm sure. I recently experienced this with the horseshoe chips. All the Paulson chips I had used before, were either THC mold or minty RHCs. When I got ahold of those well worn RHC $5's, they felt like a different chip made with different material. More experienced people didn't give it a second thought, because they know what worn RHC's feel like.
But to me, they didn't feel like Paulsons at all.
So hang in there brother, live and learn. Today you've learned that you don't like worn, suit mold paulsons. In the future, you'll buy different chips.

All the Paulson chips I had used before, were either THC mold or minty RHCs. When I got ahold of those well worn RHC $5's, they felt like a different chip made with different material.
And, depending on the date of manufacture, they very well could have been made from a different material since the older ones are leaded.

Yeah I think it's a simple case if misunderstanding from the buyer. Sample set will always be more more chalky/square as they are samples and people take care of them.

Definitely legit chips. I love the ones I got today. Need to add more chips though!

I would say the chips sold in GC/ Used is spot on for condition description from the seller.

Also as a buyer if i have any doubts, i'd ask for some photos before buying.

I fully agree these are real. I apologize for any sort of confusion about the original seller's reputation. I have tried the magic eraser and it definitely restores the chalkiness of the chip. I thank everyone who helped me in determining that these are indeed the read deal. Thanks all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom