Faded Spade (3 Viewers)

Didn't realize they quit taking pre-orders for the Bridge/Jumbo setups. If they really do double my original order size from 2 setups to 4 setups I can take care of you for a setup.

According to their timeline it will be end of April before they ship them so remind me if I forget by then (hell I can't remember yesterday sometimes). :)

<<<< woot, just noticed post 2000. :D
I appreciate you looking out.

Yeah if anyone has an extra setup by the end of this I'd be incredibly grateful if I could buy it. I prefer poker/regular, but really don't care.

I've got a setup of poker sized cards if you want them, just pay shipping. Note my previous comment that it seems like some of the paint is fading (after only maybe two games), but it'll give you an idea of the feel of them at least. PM me if you're interested.

Just wondering if anyone else had anything to chime in about these cards. I was thinking about a set because the design looks great but I am curious about the thickness. I wonder if they will work in our shuffler. Also did anyone notice that faded spade is a member since December but no posts yet.

I am curious about the thickness..

See post #47 in this thread... the consensus is these feel very thick to my players. They were a great novelty and a change of pace, but the very next session, my players elected to go back to some older standbys... that were thinner.

See post #47 in this thread... the consensus is these feel very thick to my players. They were a great novelty and a change of pace, but the very next session, my players elected to go back to some older standbys... that were thinner.

Yeah those are good pics. I was just kinda wondering about these before I buy a few sets to put in our shuffler. then the last comment about paint fading has me thinking second thoughts.

Received my "tide me over" poker size setups yesterday. My first impression is man these are some big, thick cards. They feel fine & have plenty of flexibility but I would suspect they would wear most peoples hands out shuffling & dealing them for a few hours. Make the PA's I have seems thin & light. Text is different but not bad and very easy to read across the table. My old eyes can appreciate these in play. The red is just a little too light/bright for me (I prefer a darker security red). Face cards are more modern looking but I can appreciate the artwork for what it is. Definitely well made, should hold up to many hours of play.

One weird thing, they have a distinct odor, not a bad odor but a definite chemical smell. maybe from the ink.

Hoping when the bridge size come in they feel more manageable than the poker size, these just feel way to big for me to use with any regularity.

Last edited:
My complementary poker sized Faded Spade showed up today. Quick thoughts.

- Holy cow are these thick. Pic below is, left to right, Faded Spade, Copag, Desjgn.

- Not totally into the design. Guess I am a traditionalist, but the face cards are not doing it for me.

- Did notice the smell as mentioned previously. Curious to see if that hangs around.

FadedSpade.jpg

Yeah, Faded Spade is definitely thicker. Played with those for two sessions and did one session with Desjgn deck from the order thread. Verdict? The group loves both of them! I would say it was an even tie on preference among the group.

Just got mine today. My 2 cents:

1. I like the feel. They're definitely stiffer than my Desjgns. Probably somewhere near my Fourniers, but less stiff than those-which-we-shall-not-name.

2. I like the back design. Always looking for a more modern design (but apparently I'm one of few). The spades are simple and clean. Could be better, but I'm happy.

3. I love the design of the faces altogether WHEN it comes to the deuces through tens. Same goes for the red aces. I also like the symbols for the face cards (I think the nomenclature used for those is "pips"?!? Please correct me on that if I'm wrong). However...

4. I'm not a big fan of the art of the face cards. It's different, cool, but at first glance seems to just remind me that some things are sacred. Good different shouldn't do that. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it'll grow on me, maybe I won't be able to bear it after a few sessions. Maybe it'll be innocuous. Not sure, we'll see. Moving on...

5. The ace of spades is my absolute least favorite card in the deck. I know everyone puts their logo on this card, but they've plastered their name in big letters directly through the spade (I know it's their logo. Whatever.) and it really just doesn't do it for me. It's a shame, as it stands in contrast to the whole nature of their design, and therefore clashes big time with everything. This differs greatly to the graphics on the face cards where, although I'm not so fond of them, at least they fit with the theme.

After all of that, #3 is so strong that altogether I'm pretty happy with these. They definitely will not be supplanting my Piatniks or Desjgns, but seem like a pretty cool alternative to throw into the mix.

Just got mine today. My 2 cents:

1. I like the feel. They're definitely stiffer than my Desjgns. Probably somewhere near my Fourniers, but less stiff than those-which-we-shall-not-name.

2. I like the back design. Always looking for a more modern design (but apparently I'm one of few). The spades are simple and clean. Could be better, but I'm happy.

3. I love the design of the faces altogether WHEN it comes to the deuces through tens. Same goes for the red aces. I also like the symbols for the face cards (I think the nomenclature used for those is "pips"?!? Please correct me on that if I'm wrong). However...

4. I'm not a big fan of the art of the face cards. It's different, cool, but at first glance seems to just remind me that some things are sacred. Good different shouldn't do that. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it'll grow on me, maybe I won't be able to bear it after a few sessions. Maybe it'll be innocuous. Not sure, we'll see. Moving on...

5. The ace of spades is my absolute least favorite card in the deck. I know everyone puts their logo on this card, but they've plastered their name in big letters directly through the spade (I know it's their logo. Whatever.) and it really just doesn't do it for me. It's a shame, as it stands in contrast to the whole nature of their design, and therefore clashes big time with everything. This differs greatly to the graphics on the face cards where, although I'm not so fond of them, at least they fit with the theme.

After all of that, #3 is so strong that altogether I'm pretty happy with these. They definitely will not be supplanting my Piatniks or Desjgns, but seem like a pretty cool alternative to throw into the mix.
Just from looking at images, I totally hear what you’re saying about #3, but the more I see the face card art, the more I realize I could never put them on my table - they’re THAT bad. Probably I’m just becoming a cranky old man and the kids will love them.

Just from looking at images, I totally hear what you’re saying about #3, but the more I see the face card art, the more I realize I could never put them on my table - they’re THAT bad. Probably I’m just becoming a cranky old man and the kids will love them.
No, hating these because of that seems completely reasonable, regardless of age!

I was excited to get my Faded Spade cards.

The thickness is a good feature as far as I'm concerned. The artwork is nice, I don't mind the look of the facecards and they are easy to read.

But, several of us had issues with cards flashing when pitched. If it was only me or one other person I could have lived with it and tried to work on my pitching, but it happen with the Faded Spade cards way more than any of the other card brands I own.

I'm going to give a few more times before I totally give up on them.

I was excited to get my Faded Spade cards.

The thickness is a good feature as far as I'm concerned. The artwork is nice, I don't mind the look of the facecards and they are easy to read.

But, several of us had issues with cards flashing when pitched. If it was only me or one other person I could have lived with it and tried to work on my pitching, but it happen with the Faded Spade cards way more than any of the other card brands I own.

I'm going to give a few more times before I totally give up on them.

I haven't had a flipping issue anymore then any other deck. I don't see any specific issue with these cards. These and the Desjgn are my favorite decks to play followed by DiVinci.

Any update on the 4 color versions?

Oh, and does anyone have a promo code? The few I tried are all expired.

thanks.

Send them an email! I got a response in under an hour...

View attachment 171838

Will do when i get a break. Granted can't complain too much about getting any extras, but they did spent months sending me apologetic emails about the delays and to make things right they would gladly "double" my order for the trouble.

Got a response from Tom Wheaton this morning:

"Appreciate the follow-up. We are sending you an additional set. You are right and it was a formula error on the order sheet with our fulfillment center."

I'm really interested in seeing how these Bridge cards feel compared to the Poker size behemoths. Hoping the width difference will make the cards thickness issue not so much of a problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom