Facing a Game that Plays Larger than I'm Comfortable With (1 Viewer)

Tagged you, thinking you might want to offer some advice.

K. Just wasn't sure if I missed something at the end of a long week.

I play pretty LAGgy in any game I play in and know that in order to do that I need to be a bankroll nit. Therefore, I only play stakes I'm comfortable losing a pile of buy ins. Moving up through stakes you just need to do what makes you 100% comfortable otherwise your just setting yourself up for disaster. This also helps minimize the tilt factor that can sometimes wreck someone taking a shot at higher stakes.

A lot of great comments here from you guys. It's appreciated!
  1. There were a lot of suggestions to start a new game or have my own game. Unfortunately that is not going to work out. I tried having a weekly cash game and tournaments at my house and did for awhile but I have realized that I don't enjoy the stress of it all....me personally, it just doesn't work. Trying to fill the table and recruit new players, endless carefree cancellations, making sure we have food/drinks, spill cleanups, and worrying about people spilling stuff and dropping stuff on the floor...all makes me crazy and not able to concentrate on my poker game. I have realized, I'm a good poker player, but I'm not at all a good host. I still have a monthly "for fun" lower stakes tournament/mixed game night but I have moved that (my) game to another persons house where I can do the chips/cards/lammers and there are others that worry about the rest.
  2. In this game, its 2 miles down the road, 2 nights a week, plenty of action, all food/drinks included, just show up, play and leave when I want. It's nice and convenient. I know of several games where I could play every night of the week but they all involve some of the same players....but they all run about the same stakes and will have the same occasional $2000 buy in problem.
  3. I'm even more married to the game since I know everyone there and become friends with many of them. I also have been working with Alibaba for the past few months to order a new huge set of poker chips for the game (custom artwork)...so I'm pretty well invested emotionally in this game. I'd like to see that through and actually get to play with the chips.
  4. The rake is really high 10% up to $8. $2 more when the pot is over $200. Higher than I expected. But all food, drink, snacks, alcohol are covered, and there are a lot of promotional bonuses included an overall bad beat jackpot $10k, a daily bad beat jackpot, and a bonus for 4 Unique Flushes per night. I think I need read up on how to make adjustments to make my game fit more toward this high rake. I need to study that more.
  5. The good things is that the the $2000 buy in guys are sporadic. Like Friday, the game was more normal and I did fine. I had a good Wed & Fri actually. So I think its more of a case of dealing with these guys when they do show up more so than the game being always like that.
  6. The bottom line is I am going to stick with this game. I consider myself middle of the pack but I am probably above average there (per my profit even with the rake). I ran into the same mental block moving up to $1/$2 & $1/$3 from $0.25/$0.50. It took me a substantial amount of time to get accustomed to the game. I just need to push through this. Keep telling myself to make the right play and quit worrying about the cash value of the chips. I am at this game for recreation, competition, to get better, and to make a decent hourly wage. Unfortunately finding another game in the area is going to be difficult and I don't really want to find another one unless things get really really bad. I'll just keep studying, fighting and pushing through the uncomfortable until I'm one of the top dogs.

I like it! Hang in there, learn the new players, adjust and improve your game and hopefully win some money. It's always more fun when you win ;)

A lot of great comments here from you guys. It's appreciated!
  1. There were a lot of suggestions to start a new game or have my own game. Unfortunately that is not going to work out. I tried having a weekly cash game and tournaments at my house and did for awhile but I have realized that I don't enjoy the stress of it all....me personally, it just doesn't work. Trying to fill the table and recruit new players, endless carefree cancellations, making sure we have food/drinks, spill cleanups, and worrying about people spilling stuff and dropping stuff on the floor...all makes me crazy and not able to concentrate on my poker game. I have realized, I'm a good poker player, but I'm not at all a good host.
Flipping squirrels!! Having 8-10 of them running around your house is physically and emotionally exhausting for sure.

Flipping squirrels!! Having 8-10 of them running around your house is physically and emotionally exhausting for sure.
Yep! Hosting can be fun but is also a good amount of work. The most frustrating part is that many of them don't understand the work involved in hosting. Some are so lazy to even respond to a text and give a firm response it can get frustrating.

Nobody appreciates the host part. Whenever I have a friend suggest something, I reply “Great! Let me know when your game is set and I’m there!” :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

You sound pragmatic, and I’m sure you’ll learn the players who dial you back a bit. I’d bet you’ll soon be dialing them back as well.

Keep it up!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom