Face value budget tournament chips (1 Viewer)

Sparkynutz

Straight
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
I bought a set of cheap 500 count Walmart chips about 10 years back and labeled them all with ink stamps typical real coin denominations.
I had the most white so those are 5c blue is 10c, red is 25c, green is 50c, yellow is $1 black is $5 and grey is $20
We always played dollar for dollar tournaments typically $5 or $10 and I now recently realized I have yet to find another single person that has done this besides me.
Is there anybody out there besides me that did/does this?

Or should I take some acetone to clean them up and start over same colors and denominations im seeing used most frequently by everyone and just ignore the fact that starting stack amounts don't match starting cash amount given.

There have been discussions about using gold ink to stamp denominations onto blank clay chips before, and I believe people have done it on non-clay chips. If you search "cold stamping" here it should come up.

i think a lot of people probably started out this way (i did briefly), but eventually graduated to more typical tournament structures, where the buyin is irrelevant to the amount of tournament chips you get. you're highly unlikely to find anyone else here that does it your way.

but if you browse around here too much, you're going to be upgrading those chips real soon lol

I've never done it, but there's really no reason not to do it.
It couldn't matter less, honestly. What matters is that you have a good structure of increasing blind levels that works for your group and timeframe.

We occasionally run cash-value tournaments, using a 25c-base set. Using 25c/50c opening blinds and $60 starting stacks/buy-ins is 120bb, making for a perfectly fine tournament with optional re-buys. Simply using a decimal point modified T25-base blind structure works great.

Best parts about cash-value tournaments is that a) a cash set can be used for tournament play with no security concerns, and b) you can optionally end the tourney at any pre-determined time or blind level (remaining players simply cash in their chips).

I played with chip that had denomination written in sharpie a few times. Held up remarkably well for the number of games that my buddy used them for. Closest I can ever say that I played 1:1 on chips was for Halloween Candy on lunch in High School. We had many gambling or challenge events at lunch which somehow were ok back in the 90's. The only time I remember being asked to tone it down was when we had a bunch of little fish tanks and were dueling "Beta's" against each other in duels for pool split wagering. Probably the most fun was the "pony plop" were I sold 1x1meter squares on the football field in a grid for $.25 or .50cents a piece.... It was my friends pony who was not betting and it was loose on the field let go at center field then a car horn was beeped at both ends under the goal posts to spook the pony a bit to move and everyone just waited for the it to poop X marks the spot. Sometimes the draws would be 50/50 for something at the school and the balance of the profits if there were any could be kept... plus winning the Pony Plop would pay out over $400 most of the time or at least that is what I remember winning. i loved high school.

Is there anybody out there besides me that did/does this?
The WSOP main event did this up until... what was it? 2007? Nothing wrong with that!

I would keep your set as it is for nostalgic reasons, but also buy a new set with more standard denoms. This way you can alternate. And you get MOAR CHIPS!

In VA @Lil Tuna , @Seeking Alpha Social Club and myself came up with a variant we call "hybrid tourney" basically each person starts with $100 cash blinds $.50/$1 and they don't change until two players are knocked out, every two players the blinds double. The lower levels help it last a long time but once they start dropping it goes quick!

I think we ran that structure 3 times and had a lot of fun... something different I guess. Basically a winner takes all $100 buy in game, although usually it gets chopped at 3 players left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom