• This site contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase after clicking a link, Poker Chip Forum may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Not Mine Ewing molds (1 Viewer)

Surely there’s a way to remove it. Rubbing alcohol? Hairspray maybe? Anyone know?

There is a product called "goof off" that I have used in the past to remove sharpie from various surfaces... never tried on chips though. I also recall reading (perhaps on PCF) about using dry erase markers to remove sharpie.

The ingredient in goof off is xylene. You can purchase it any any paint or hardware store.

It will remove sharpie completely from almost any smooth surface with risk of damaging the surface itself.

It is a hot solvent and destroys latex coated walls in seconds. However... on glass or counters or linoleum it cleans off almost anything.

I am not certain what it will do to a paulson chip. My guess it will clean off 95% (not all the way in the pores, and leave a faint discoloration around where the pen mark is) leaving a smear.

Acetone may be more gentle on the chip... and I think it works on sharpie. Not sure though.

Lacquer will certainly remove the ink but is an intense solvent.

If this is attempted by any member I strongly recommend solvent gloves and respitory protection.

Cheers

Bradley

Ready to clean some chips?

BBad.JPG

Isopropyl alcohol is absolutely amazing at removing sharpie ink from plastic containers.

I have not tested it on poker chips, let alone chips where the ink has had fifty years to commingle with and stain the plastic. But if I were interested in these chips I'd go out and try it on one I didn't care that much about ASAP.

Note that the chips' textured surface will make a big difference in effectiveness.

Acetone would likely be a disaster to chips. Acetone dissolves most plastic readily. Alcohol will dissolve some plastics but far fewer than acetone.

Acetone would likely be a disaster to chips. Acetone dissolves most plastic readily. Alcohol will dissolve some plastics but far fewer than acetone.

Yeah, I believe when people remove inlays, they have to use non-acetone nail polish.

I think we're going to need a scientist and millions in research.

Imagine 5000 people at that music festival, each with a chip as an entry ticket, each marked with a sharpie upon entry. So much money, and several amazing sets, lost by taking a sharpie to said chips! My heart aches a little.

It's already been said, but to summarize:

Never use acetone on chips.

IF the chips are Paulson, non acetone nail polish remover is OK, but it may fade colours.

If the chips are not Paulson (case in point), I would test anything (even isopropyl alcohol) before using. And after years of sitting on the chips, I would not expect complete removal of Sharpie by any means. :cry:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom