ERROR $1 Vintage Room, Madera, CA (1 Viewer)

RussB42

Flush
Reaction score
Have about 300 of these and found this Error in Incert Colors on each side.

Should have the Red Added on both sides.

Attachments

• 100_5289.JPG
    100_5289.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_5290.JPG
    100_5290.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 274
That looks like its marker or paint of some kind.. Have you tried cleaning them to see if you can remove the RED, I don't think the red is suppose to be there.

All these that I have have the Red.

I have flattened all of them (they were all warpped) been in storage since 1999, Cleaned and Oiled them all.

I tried everything I know to remove the Red, to make sure it's actually the color on the incerts, and it won't come off. Even tried to scrape off the Red.

I'll be posting some Pic's of the completed chips when the last batch is finished.

Because the edge and one side are the same color, this leads me to believe the RED is not part of the edge spot. When clay chips are made the edge spots are square pieces of different color clay.
This might have been a dye to cancel out the chip, usually they drill a hole or break a piece of the chip off to cancel them, or they get destroyed and/or thrown into wet concrete..

Any idea of what I could use to see if the Red will come off?? I don't want to destroy the Hot Stamps.

I have put many, many hours in these chips and hate to think they may be worthless, as most are near mint condition.

Maybe find one chip that has a not-so-great stamp or nick/scratch/flea bite and sacrifice it for the greater good of the set? Really cut into it to see what the spot colors should be. It may be color transfer from the red base of the adjacent chip that transferred to the spots over time due to improper storage (moisture)? Take that sacrificial chip and use a magic eraser and go to town on it to see if the red will come off?

That looks like its marker or paint of some kind.. Have you tried cleaning them to see if you can remove the RED, I don't think the red is suppose to be there.
I remember seeing those chips for sale when they came up, and wondering about the pink/red spots. I completely agree with chipjoker, I doubt the spots were red originally. I've cleaned thousands of dirty Paulson chips, by hand or by ultrasonic, either with TSP, Oxyclean, or dish detergent, and sometimes additional cleaning using Goo Gone for sticky substances, or very long soaks in alcohol (with intermittent scrubbing) for ink stains. But frankly, I've never really seen anything like the red color above.

Any idea of what I could use to see if the Red will come off?? I don't want to destroy the Hot Stamps.
Cleaned and Oiled them all.
Maybe find one chip that has a not-so-great stamp or nick/scratch/flea bite
I'll second this, take one chip (or multiple test chips) and use them to test cleaning methods. If you haven't tried TSP or Oxyclean, you might want to try these out to see if either of them make a dent in the red removal. But too long or too strong of a cleaner might remove hotstamp foil or fade the chips colors, so test first.

Something else to test, after they are oiled, if you rub the face of an oiled chip on a white towel, does any red color come off?

If the red is an ink like a sharpie marker, soak them in rubbing alcohol for several days. Yes, days. I used a soup bowl, but something with a lid like a mason jar would work, and should keep the alcohol from evaporating. I don't have any pics, but this worked to remove sharpie on a couple Paulson chips. Every day or so, I'd have to do some additional manual scrubbing with a toothbrush, but slowly, the ink dissolved and came off. Alcohol shouldn't damage the chip clay, but I don't how it'll affect hotstamps - test.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...do-any-and-all-suggestions.24927/#post-459378

If the red is an ink like a sharpie marker, soak them in rubbing alcohol for several days. Yes, days. I used a soup bowl, but something with a lid like a mason jar would work, and should keep the alcohol from evaporating. I don't have any pics, but this worked to remove sharpie on a couple Paulson chips. Every day or so, I'd have to do some additional manual scrubbing with a toothbrush, but slowly, the ink dissolved and came off. Alcohol shouldn't damage the chip clay, but I don't how it'll affect hotstamps - test.
This is the approach I would take to remove the red markings.

Maybe find one chip that has a not-so-great stamp or nick/scratch/flea bite and sacrifice it for the greater good of the set? Really cut into it to see what the spot colors should be. It may be color transfer from the red base of the adjacent chip that transferred to the spots over time due to improper storage (moisture)? Take that sacrificial chip and use a magic eraser and go to town on it to see if the red will come off?
That was my thinking too. No idea how to get it off, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you break one, you'll find that red is just on the surface. And my guess would be that the whole chips are covered in dye, it just doesn't show up well on the purple base and didn't "take" to the hotstamp.
It's very interesting.

Still soaking 1 in Alcohol, but no change.

I really like these chips as they are, Great looking chips....

What does the Red due to the Value of the chips, if I can't get er off ????

Still soaking 1 in Alcohol, but no change.
If the chips's been soaking for days (or a week or more) and when you pick up the chip, brush it off with a toothbrush, etc, and don't see any little wisps of ink coming off in the alcohol, then it's probably not an ink or dye that alcohol will dissolve.

I really like these chips as they are, Great looking chips....
What does the Red due to the Value of the chips, if I can't get er off ????
Funny, but from afar, I think I like the look of the pink/red spot on the brown chip over the tan/butterscotch spots. But when looking at a close up of the spots, they're not a uniform color up-close, (more of a splotchy pink or red), IMO, that can affect the desirability and value. Although if you're keeping them to use for yourself, I wouldn't worry about value so much.

Since almost all of them have the red stuff on them anyway, and you find nothing to remove the red, you could try going a reverse route and try dying the chips red again, to see if the spots will become a more uniform pink/red color. I don't recall reading any posts about dying Paulson clay chips, but I do recall reading about people who used to dye the "faux clay" chips about 5-10 years ago or so (?), from the old blue site (chiptalk.net). Some of those dying efforts came out quite brilliantly, IIRC.

upload_2018-2-6_19-38-44.png

upload_2018-2-6_19-45-38.png
upload_2018-2-6_19-46-3.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom