Ending the BUMP war in the classfields (3 Viewers)

Maybe I’m misinterpreting it but don’t these selling “at cost” private sales in PMs between OG members only contribute to the end of that chipping culture/community everyone always talks about since it’s not visible for newer members to experience?
This isn’t a community anymore. Hasn’t been for a long long time. It’s a marketplace with some interesting content at times.

This isn’t a community anymore. Hasn’t been for a long long time. It’s a marketplace with some interesting content at times.

I've said this for a few years now. Still a great site.

I agree. It’s more small cliques and who you know anymore. Bleeding it’s way into meetups too. Sad.

I haven't seen this at the meet ups I attended. The last few years I've pretty much limited myself to Dallas and Virginia. Both of those are a blast

Agree that the meetups are a great place to get together with folks you don’t normally talk to online and doesn’t feel cliquey.

That said, my meetup turned into a East Coast reunion game for folks I haven’t seen in a year, so I hope people aren’t reading too much into that. I’m still trying to do a proper meetup next year but I need a dry run with some logistics and space concerns that I’ll iron out during my game in October.

Most of the posts here are classified/auction ads. I’ve turned these off and honestly the site is 100% better IMO, but it sucks if you’re trying to buy something and have to wade through a lot of BS.

and they are just trying to recoup their costs
I give zero poops about costs. When I sell chips, I’ll usually try to sell them for exactly what I paid. But if they don’t sell almost immediately, I’ll reduce the price again and again until they either sell, or the get to a point where I’d rather keep them. It’s that simple. It isn’t about costs or profits or bottom lines or anything.

And as an aside, when I buy a rack for
$100 and pay $10 for shipping, I don’t try to sell it for $110. If everybody added their shipping costs into their resale prices, the $1,000 per rack phenomenon would have been the norm many years ago.

I haven't seen this at the meet ups I attended. The last few years I've pretty much limited myself to Dallas and Virginia. Both of those are a blast
Those are good ones for sure. I was referring more to the “secret” “good ole boys” type meetups that seem to be a new fad

Most of the posts here are classified/auction ads. I’ve turned these off and honestly the site is 100% better

Same here

Those are good ones for sure. I was referring more to the “secret” “good ole boys” type meetups that seem to be a new fad

I'm not familiar with those. Guess I'm not a good ole boy, which I'm perfectly fine with.

Agree that the meetups are a great place to get together with folks you don’t normally talk to online and doesn’t feel cliquey.

That said, my meetup turned into a East Coast reunion game for folks I haven’t seen in a year, so I hope people aren’t reading too much into that. I’m still trying to do a proper meetup next year but I need a dry run with some logistics and space concerns that I’ll iron out during my game in October.

Most of the posts here are classified/auction ads. I’ve turned these off and honestly the site is 100% better IMO, but it sucks if you’re trying to buy something and have to wade through a lot of BS.
yeah, honestly, since I've stopped buying or selling* anything(I'm really happy with my sets as is and have zero interest in selling them or buying another one), the site is a lot better. It's more 'relaxed' in a lot of ways. But I also find myself coming here less often. Come for the classifieds, stay for the donkey.

*I had a rack of solid butterscotch THCs that I had picked up as a frac option and didn't use but I was being super lazy about selling it as it was sitting at the back of a shelf. Someone reached out about a post where I bought them in Feb and asked if I still had them and would be willing to sell them.

This forum is 100% a community, notwithstanding what goes on in the classifieds. Within any community there typically is a market place where buyers and sellers come together to transact business. Some deals are more profit driven while others may be guided by other intentions (individuals doing break even transactions to recapture costs, group buys or even charitable intentions - give aways). People decide to buy/sell for a lot of different reasons.

Here, there are many other elements to this forum other than the market place (ie - experienced chippers helping the less experienced, thoughts on chip design and products, advice on all things related to poker strategy and other topics, general discussions on just about everything, meet ups, etc.). Even if I was not interested in buying and selling, I could still spend a ridiculous amount of time on this forum. Moreover, I have now attended 3 meet ups, which were awesome. I have created friendships with great people, none of whom I would have met but for this forum. That is what a community is all about, right?

yeah, honestly, since I've stopped buying or selling* anything(I'm really happy with my sets as is and have zero interest in selling them or buying another one), the site is a lot better. It's more 'relaxed' in a lot of ways. But I also find myself coming here less often. Come for the classifieds, stay for the donkey.

*I had a rack of solid butterscotch THCs that I had picked up as a frac option and didn't use but I was being super lazy about selling it as it was sitting at the back of a shelf. Someone reached out about a post where I bought them in Feb and asked if I still had them and would be willing to sell them.

I thought I was done buying sets. Then I was able to acquire the Indian a grand and a Paris live set at cost. I wanted to add a THC set and A bear claw chip, so it worked out well.

Thanks @CraigT78 and @Hornet

I’ve scored some amazing friendships with amazing people. That is all.

This thread feels like a soap opera, as I read through it. Forgot what the OP was because my brain was hurting…

Maybe it’s because my brain is too small to handle these large important issues. Or…my brain is working and these issues are too small for my brain to process, or even recognize.

There is multiple deep communities inside of it, but in general, it's mostly a marketplace with content. I now see our little inner circles as the communities

Someone reached out about a post where I bought them in Feb and asked if I still had them and would be willing to sell them.
Your open sale thread was sought by someone who knew what he wanted, whereas a bump could surface an item to someone who hasn't realized that they want it yet. Both have their uses.

In these conversations about max-value seekers and cost recoupers, we risk over-project onto a (perhaps significant) group that is engaged in neither. I am looking around my place at all the things that I would be happy to sell for a price but am otherwise happy to keep. Most of us aren't driven by a need to constantly move product — it's here if someone wants it enough.

This is obviously a separate thought from the topic of chronic thread bumpers, who could use some reflection.

Don’t underestimate the value of a couple Port o Johns. Conversely, a permanent one in the back yard Could pay dividends…Mat is coming.

Id happily stop bumping my wanted thread if someone sold me the GD chips Im looking for! ;)

And I agree on sales ads, if omyou have to bump for 2 months maybe your price is too high. I also dont think a lot of people on this site understand what a fire sale or big price drop is (hint, it isnt a 5% reduction in price).

There is multiple deep communities inside of it, but in general, it's mostly a marketplace with content. I now see our little inner circles as the communities
1663446783946.gif

It's not the first thread that switched the OP topic but the first thread that I opened :)

To sum up: People are fine with the status quo regarding pushing SALE threads up to the top.

Thank you very much for your participation.

Honestly, if you have to bump a sale daily for months, it’s not priced right. Some just can’t get that because they paid too much it to begin with. (Or are trying to get “max value”)

Then, some others list and sell the same thing for lower quickly, but the one unsold still won’t adjust the price.

Seems simple to me.
So much this. If I see a "bump" it's an admission that the price is too high.

Having recently sold an item did bumps every 2-3 days and each one came with a price drop.

So much this. If I see a "bump" it's an admission that the price is too high.

Having recently sold an item did bumps every 2-3 days and each one came with a price drop.
I'm a fan and try to (not counting when I get lost in Memes) do the 5-7 bumps, once a day, then I go weekly, then if I don't want to edit the price, every few weeks. You'd be surprised how often it's really timing that can get stuff sold on here.

And I'd agree after 2 weeks, but bumping for a few days is generally the same idea of good timing and circumstance making the sale for a chunk of us. I don't scour the classifieds when I'm here. I don't even check the classifieds, just the "New Posts" button.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom